• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pros and Cons of DCL Transfers

dthogue

DIS Veteran
I will be booking our October cruise within the next week. I can't decide if I want to come in the day prior to our cruise, stay the night and rent a car to drive to port or come in the day of the cruise and use DCL transfers to get to the port.

Please tell me the pros and cons of each way. What has been your past experiences.

I assume if we use DCl tranfsers we can book our own airfare? Will they pick us up at the airport? Do we have to get out own luggage or will DCL take care of that for us.

The transfers sound like alot less work. Please help me decide.

Thanks,

We have cruised 3 times with the 4th one booked for August. We have never used transfers always had a rental. When we did the 4 day we paid to park at the port, but always return and pick up when on two 7 day. There is no hassle in renting or driving to the terminal and the cost is lower. We also never fly in the day of the cruise, even though we go in August. Our vacation is always 2 weeks, 1 week either asmusement parks/beaches first and the other cruise. Even if you are only doing the cruise I would suggest never fly that day unless you use DCL air (which I would never do because of the price). I would just be to worried thinking something would go wrong and we would miss the ship. The pros of transfers is you do not have to worry about you luggage, taken from plane and deposited at your door-also step on bus and step into terminal. But I have seen busses arrive as late as 3:30, by then you can have 3 hours on the ship. When you rent you arrive when you want to.

First, understand that you can add the transfers after you book, so don't feel pressured to make a decision now.

Second, much of the advice depends on how many in your party and their ages. Many people find it more cost effective to either rent the car or get a car service of some sort - but again, it depends on how many traveling.

The transfers are easy. Yes, you can book your own air and use them. You'll get luggage tags and the DCL porters will take your bags right off the carousel and you won't see them again until you get to your room on the ship. That is a big advantage if you have small children and/or a lot of luggage.

If you come in the night before, I recommend staying in the airport Hyatt. It will be the best $100 (approx) you'll spend on this trip. If you do this, you'll collect your luggage, go to the hotel which is literally in the airport, and the next morning you can either put your tagged luggage outside your door or take it to the bellman and then once again, the next time you'll see your bags is on the ship. I LOVED this.

My DD8 got a huge kick out of riding the bus. She thought it was part of the whole "experience". We did not ride the bus back to the airport though. We rented a car for the day ($35) bc our flight back was late. We were, however, able to check luggage and get boarding passes from US Airways right at the port. Now that's a great service!

Good luck!

Either way, I would not fly in on the day of the cruise. Not that I don't trust the airlines but I've spent too much time waiting for delayed flights to risk it.
That said, last time we used a limo service. for the 5 of us, it was only $20 or $30 more than the bus but we were on our own schedule, not theirs. We went round trip from WDW to the port & were dropped off at the curb where they checked in our luggage so it was no hassle at all and when we diembarked, they were waiting for us so the entire experience was quite painless & the kids were thrilled to get to ride in a beautiful white stretch limo.

I think if you have more than 3 people in your party, you might want to consider getting a towncar service. It actually might be cheaper than the DCL bus.

We are doing DCL transfers again for our second cruise. We travel with 11 including 4 kids. The busses were great and since you never have to touch your bags once you land, it was a real plus.

I would definately not travel on the day of the cruise. Since it's best to get to the port as early as possible (we've gotten there around noon and boarded very shortly after) you will probably want to arrive the day before. Just to add to what everyone else said, you can still get Disney transfers for the DCL busses that day even if you don't arrive by plane that day. We stayed at the Best Western Airport Hotel which runs a free shuttle to and from the airport to hotel. You just let them know what times you want the shuttle to come and they do the best they can to accomidate you. It was free and the cost of the room was only $59 for one night. Very convenient! At the Orlando airport there are SO many Disney CM walking around holding signs for DCL so if you have transfers you just find one of them and they will bring you to the bus. I think it's fun and part of the whole Disney experience, because I'm on vacation and I would rather not do any driving at all! Have fun:smooth:

Originally posted by tstobb
Either way, I would not fly in on the day of the cruise. Not that I don't trust the airlines but I've spent too much time waiting for delayed flights to risk it.
That said, last time we used a limo service. for the 5 of us, it was only $20 or $30 more than the bus but we were on our own schedule, not theirs. We went round trip from WDW to the port & were dropped off at the curb where they checked in our luggage so it was no hassle at all and when we diembarked, they were waiting for us so the entire experience was quite painless & the kids were thrilled to get to ride in a beautiful white stretch limo.
:bounce:

Here are my thoughts -

DCL Transfers

A. They show a film about the ship - most of it you have seen in the promo videos they send you but it builds excitement
B. At the airport, for the most part, you just head for the buses and they take off a few minutes later. Yes, buses may be heading to the port at 3:30 but that is only because people just arrived around 3:00. I think the longest they ever wait is 20 minutes and that is if you just happened to get there a minute after a bus left and it is really slow.
C. The only bad thing is on the land and sea package. Buses don't leave the resorts until around 12:00. That's really the only time you are on their schedule, not yours.
D. Even back to the airport is hop on the bus and it takes off usually no later than 5 minutes later.

Do any buses leave from the airport at 10am?

Since it's best to get to the port as early as possible (we've gotten there around noon and boarded very shortly after) you will probably want to arrive the day before.

On this point, I would beg to differ. We had absolutely no interest in getting to the port as early as possible and purposely took a later bus. We had no desire to stand in the lines at the terminal waiting to board. I don't think there's a best way, just what's best for your family. :D

Thank you for all the replies. It will be me, my DH and 3 dd's (13,11,5) traveling.

McNuss - if we stay at the Hilton the night before how and/or where do we get the bus? How early do the busses start leaving? Do we need to make a reservation for the bus? We would like to get to the port early.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts - keep them coming.

If I buy transfers now, can I take them off later or is it better to not purchase them now and add them later when we decide?

Thanks,

I too am going through the same debate. I think that you can't minimize not having to manage your own luggage - what a treat. I booked my cruise through DVC and they said you can book the transfers up to the day of the cruise if necessary. I think that's what we will do (party of three adults).

My only fear is what if they accidentally leave my luggage at the airport? Has this ever happened to anyone - where DCL misplaced one of your bags?

mcnuss - You just answered my question about the Airport hotel - thanks!
I think that's what Mom, Michael and I will do - fly in the day before, stay at the Hyatt and get our Disney transfer the next day.
We have been flying in the day of the cruise but we have to stay at a hotel in Indy to get an early flight and we are sooo tired out when we finally get settled in our cabin.

Plus there's a lot to do at the airport - shops, etc. I think both of them will get a kick out of it. And of course, Michael will want to ride the monorail shuttle a few times - just like a Disney ride but free!!!!

Thanks again, you always come through!

Rae

McNuss - if we stay at the Hilton the night before how and/or where do we get the bus? How early do the busses start leaving? Do we need to make a reservation for the bus? We would like to get to the port early.

If you stay at the Hyatt, you will tell them upon check-in that you are a DCL cruiser and they will give you a letter with all the details - when, where, etc... No reservation needed; if you've bought the transfers, you're all set.

As for what time the buses leave, I think the first one is at 10. But I think you should think carefully about whether you want to stand in a line in the terminal with 3 children for upwards of 2 hours before they let you on the ship. Some people love it and their kids don't mind waiting, but I have met many, many cruisers who have said that it's a big mistake. Our cruise boarded late, so my situation is different, but we were originally planning to have a leisurely breakfast in the hotel, check out the shops in the airport, maybe take a swim (altho it turned out to be a nippy 60 degree day in Orlando!) and then get on a bus at noon-ish to get to the port about an hour after they begin boarding. As it turned out, bc of the way they bused us (I was on the delayed T-giving cruise), we were on the 1st bus, but they were boarding immediately, so we got on board at about 3, and in the excitement I forgot all about making Palo and spa ressies. So I went up there after the life boat drill and I got my first choice for everything. Turned out there was no need to rush anyway. Live & learn. This big kid ;) is just too impatient to wait on line, so that's what works for us.

For clarification's sake... the Hyatt is the only hotel inside the airport terminal. All other airport hotels, including the Hilton, are off-property and require a shuttle to get to the hotel and then back to the airport to pick up Disney transfers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter