Property rights in Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an interesting question. I'm thinking where the RV sits might make a difference. If it's on private property you would need a warrant. If it's on a paid for site that might change things. At that point the landlord/owner in this case WDW might be able to enter. Like a rental house or apartment building. I also highly doubt WDW ever doing this.

My "law knowledge" comes from TV cop shows BTW. LOL

Disney doesnt even enforce leash rules or burning rules in a lot of cases. As disturbing as the thought is of them forcibly entering your camper, I just dont see them having the stomach for it.
It is an interesting discussion though.
I will say this, the first time I hear of them or the PD entering an RV without a warrant is the last time I go there. Rights are a big thing for me.

The Supreme Court case was also non-governmental.

I found another description of a case where a guy was parked in a Wal Mart parking lot and suspicion was he was selling dope and when law enforcement kicked in the door and took over they found drugs.

Guys lawyer argued they could not search without a warrant claiming it was his "home" and prosecution said it fell under same laws as a car, meaning probable cause meant they could search without a warrant. Used the Supreme Court ruling to back the police. Non-governmental means nothing in this discussion from what I can tell.

Supreme Court case is called California vs. Carney. Um, that's the State of California, a governmental agency.

Well, as I said in pp, a private entity had better have reasonable 'cause', and come with law enforcement to enter our RV.

On the other hand, we would never give them 'just cause', so it's a non-issue for us. Have no interest in breaking laws, and will never give Disney (or anyone else where we camp) any reason to want to evict us!

I'm also thinking of it like a car.
When I park my car in the grocery store's parking lot to shop, it's my car but it's parked on their property.
Do they have the right to bust the locks and have a looky-loo since I'm parked in their parking lot? (I'm thinking the property owner--not law enforcement).
I would assume it would be the same at Disney, but I'm also not a lawyer and do not pretend to be one on message boards.
I do know that I would consult one if I ever discovered that Disney entered my trailer without my consent.
One of the benefits of camper ownership is that you can leave your personal items without much concern of housekeeping stealing them since you are your own housekeeping (or mousekeeping, rather).

Legally you could deny them access... but that would give them more than enough due cause to ask you to leave the property... and if you resisted, then they would definitely be in their rights to detain you, get a warrant, search your RV, and hold you accountable for anything they found. ;)

Supreme Court case is called California vs. Carney. Um, that's the State of California, a governmental agency.

What I meant was that the case in discussion actually happened on a "non-governmental location". I may have misunderstood what you were referring to. My bad.

Well, as I said in pp, a private entity had better have reasonable 'cause', and come with law enforcement to enter our RV.

On the other hand, we would never give them 'just cause', so it's a non-issue for us. Have no interest in breaking laws, and will never give Disney (or anyone else where we camp) any reason to want to evict us!

That right there should just about sum this whole thread up and put it to rest.

Oh, and feed the squirrels.

Tiggerdad, most of us would never give them reason.
Having said that, most of the families staying at the resort hotels wouldn't give them reason either. However, they are now in fear of their children's naps being interrupted for security checks due to an incident in Las Vegas.
I understand the right to enter a room that they own, but also feel that this is a bit too big brother, and would never be comfortable letting a CM enter my camper "because of what happened in Vegas" under the threat of being removed and our vacation, for which we saved and paid royally, being ruined.

I liken the entry into rooms daily much the same as the whole kindergarten class having to put their heads on their desks and be quiet just because one child was misbehaving. Your privacy is being chipped away slowly in this society, it wont all happen at once but more likely the frog in the pot has just had the heat turned up.

Constitution of United States of America 1789 ( revised 1992 ):disrocks:
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be
searched, and the persons or things to be seized. However the 4th Amendment is not guarantee against all searches and seizures, but only those that are deemed unreasonable under the law.
As with any law there are many court opinions and rulings. :surfweb:

Disney doesnt even enforce leash rules or burning rules in a lot of cases.
1) I don't think a lapse in leash enforcement or awareness would cause mass-murders or mega-lawsuits.

Constitution of United States of America 1789 ( revised 1992 )
1) People keep referring to the Constitution.
2) Why ???
3) You give up your Constitutional Rights when you rent the property.
4) As I have mentioned earlier, try telling your employer or Humans Resources Department you have Constitutional Rights at work.
. . . your HR Manager loves a good joke every now and then
. . . I have had several employees try to claim Constitutional Rights on me when I ran the plant or company
. . . they were really surprised when I told them to check with their lawyer(s) or Union Rep
. . . NEVER had an attorney or Union Guy call or try to sue based upon Constitutional grounds

NOTE: I am not an attorney, but have been involved in so many cases (rather, ATTEMPTED cases) that I have been through this before from both employer and property owner standpoints. Plus, owning many rental properties, I know when/how I can enter my properties with or without tenant permission. Alas, people just do not realize when the Constitution applies and when it does not, instead, folks assume it applies always.

1) I don't think a lapse in leash enforcement or awareness would cause mass-murders or mega-lawsuits.

2) Why ???
4) As I have mentioned earlier, try telling your employer or Humans Resources Department you have Constitutional Rights at work.
. . . I have had several employees try to claim Constitutional Rights on me when I ran the plant or company
. . . they were really surprised when I told them to check with their lawyer(s) or Union Rep
. . . NEVER had an attorney or Union Guy call or try to sue based upon Constitutional grounds

NOTE: I am not an attorney, but have been involved in so many cases (rather, ATTEMPTED cases) that I have been through this before from both employer and property owner standpoints. Plus, owning many rental properties, I know when/how I can enter my properties with or without tenant permission. Alas, people just do not realize when the Constitution applies and when it does not, instead, folks assume it applies always.

#3 - No, we didn't/don't!!

I have been looking up various sites about tenants rights when renting, and yes, there are plenty rights, and you definitely don't sign them away when renting. Maybe you need to look them up for yourself - I'm not tech savvy enough to list websites here.

There’s a huge difference between these Disney security / housekeeping / trash checks and entering a property based on probable cause. To enter our motor homes when we are not there, Disney would have to break a lock and unless they are hiring lock pickers, I don’t think they will be entering anywhere. Maybe at some point there will be a sweep or check of camping vehicles when we check in but breaking and entering because they feel like it? Please.

2) Why ???

WOW!!! i just heard our forefathers turn over in their graves.

2) Why ???

I think you missed my point entirely. It was that Disney doesnt have the stomach for conflict even on the smallest level let alone something as significant as entering another persons property without permission. I do agree however that Disney has the right to ask, and if denied could easily find a reason to ask you to leave. I just dont think they will go down that path.

As far as any of this stopping what happened in Vegas, thats a whole other debate.

I have been reading where this is going for the last several days now and her is my 2 cents worth.
1 What happened in Vegas was and is tragedy that more than likely could have been prevented and is a separate issue
2 Disney has some very legit concerns and rights over how THEIR properties are used by those that utilize them to ensure they are available to the next guest they assign that space to.
3 MY RV is NOT a Disney OWNED PROPERTY. Disney has agreed to ALLOW me to be there and provided me with a guideline of conduct that I have agreed to while I am there. They also have let me know what the consequences are for violating those guidelines.
4 To the best of my knowledge Disney Does NOT provide housekeeping services beyond the cabins If anyone has or have in the past had this service extended to their RV/ Tent please let us know.
5 Part of what housekeeping does beyond making beds, restocking towels and hygiene products and remove trash, is to ensure DISNEY's property is not being abused and broken and is in good working order. Should they find any thing amiss Disney has the right to come in and make any required repairs. In the event they find OBVIOUS evidence of criminal activity you can bet they are calling for a supervisor and Law Enforcement is getting a call to respond as well
6 Is Disney going to demand to enter our RV's and conduct searches. I doubt it. If we give them enough grounds ie openly act in a manner that is criminal or presents a real danger to others expect a visit from the Local POLICE who will have a warrant in hand or a judge on the phone to grant one. During my time as Police Officer I needed Probable
Cause to
take action For a civilian the level of proof required was IN FACT big difference one I am Sure DISNEY KNOWS WELL

7 Disney right now is offering gift cards to guests at other resorts that now agree to no housekeeping services for the length of stay ( They do come in on 5th day if stay is longer than that) DVC guests only get 1 day of housekeeping during their stays
8 Unless we give them a compelling reason Disney is NOT going to come and search our RV's without our OK or Knowledge

Last edited:
I have been reading where this is going for the last several days now and her is my 2 cents worth.
1 What happened in Vegas was and is tragedy that more than likely could have been prevented and is a separate issue
2 Disney has some very legit concerns and rights over how THEIR properties are used by those that utilize them to ensure they are available to the next guest they assign that space to.
3 MY RV is NOT a Disney OWNED PROPERTY. Disney has agreed to ALLOW me to be there and provided me with a guideline of conduct that I have agreed to while I am there. They also have let me know what the consequences are for violating those guidelines.
4 To the best of my knowledge Disney Does NOT provide housekeeping services beyond the cabins If anyone has or have in the past had this service extended to their RV/ Tent please let us know.
5 Part of what housekeeping does beyond making beds, restocking towels and hygiene products and remove trash, is to ensure DISNEY's property is not being abused and broken and is in good working order. Should they find any thing amiss Disney has the right to come in and make any required repairs. In the event they find OBVIOUS evidence of criminal activity you can bet they are calling for a supervisor and Law Enforcement is getting a call to respond as well
6 Is Disney going to demand to enter our RV's and conduct searches. I doubt it. If we give them enough grounds ie openly act in a manner that is criminal or presents a real danger to others expect a visit from the Local POLICE who will have a warrant in hand or a judge on the phone to grant one. During my time a
Police Officer I needed Probable Cause to
take action For a civilian the level of proof required was IN FACT big difference one I am Sure DISNEY KNOWS WELL

7 Disney right now is offering gift cards to guests at other resorts that now agree to no housekeeping services for the length of stay ( They do come in on 5th day if stay is longer than that) DVC guests only get 1 day of housekeeping during their stays
8 Unless we give them a compelling reason Disney is NOT going to come and search our RV's without our OK or Knowledge

9 Feed the dang squirrels!

I guess my point would be that there would be no reason for a Disney employee to enter a guest's RV either by force or threat of removal, and the idea that they could concerns me .
If a guest is showing signs that he/she may pose a threat, law enforcement should be called to investigate.
However, a person's RV is their own. If they damage the a/c or urinate, defecate, and vomit all over the floor and leave it there, it's not Disney's problem. They don't have to clean it or replace items. The RV owner is totally on the hook for that .
I can understand them checking the campsite itself to insure that shore power, water, and sewer are being used correctly, or to see that there aren't aggressive animals, and that the site is clean enough to not affect the health and safety of other guests or employees.
But the RV itself belongs to the person renting the site .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!