Prom Dress - Macys

rella's fan

DIS Veteran
My daughter has recently found a dress she really likes for her prom at Macy's however it is quite a bit above her budget. I used to have a Macys card years ago but haven't shopped there for a long time. It seems like I remember them sometimes having some really good deals/promotions. Are the fancy dresses ever discounted or part of any type of promotion, should she wait, or will it never really go down in price?

We bought my daughter's last formal at Macy's on about half price. I think every dress there was discounted at least 20 or 30%. There is also a discount when you sign up for a new card, but that's not usually something you would want to do.

thanks - I don't really want to sign up for a card but if the dresses are included in the discounts it may be worth it.

My daughter has recently found a dress she really likes for her prom at Macy's however it is quite a bit above her budget. I used to have a Macys card years ago but haven't shopped there for a long time. It seems like I remember them sometimes having some really good deals/promotions. Are the fancy dresses ever discounted or part of any type of promotion, should she wait, or will it never really go down in price?
Did you see a sales rack for formal wear? For prom dresses at Macy's or any other store, January and February will have sales on last year's dresses. Whatever is left is it. Usually prom dress shopping begins February/March. The prices do not go down because prime shopping is in the spring. Then dresses begin to sell like crazy regardless of price. We had to pay full price for her Sweet 16 gown at Macy's because there weren't any decent sale dresses.

The popular prom dress shop in my area is Atianas Boutique. We went shopping in February for DD's Ring Dance. We got very lucky to find one of the last sale's dresses for 50% off. Her friends all had to pay full price because most of the sale dresses were sold out. A year later, we shopped in February again for her Prom. We ended up paying full price unfortunately.

Also look for coupons through Ebates, sometimes Macy's is up to 20% cash back as well.

My daughter found her prom dress last year at Macy's online (they didn't have it in store). We ordered it at the end of March and it was 40% off. All of the prom dresses in the junior's section of the store were also on sale at that time, and they had an excellent selection of styles and sizes. Prom was early May (for reference).

I cant answer about Macys but I just wanted to say to shop around.
For my dd's prom we drove to a huge store in NJ and she found the perfect dress.
Then I walked into my local Macys and saw the same exact one there and was so disappointed that I drove an hour to get hers, until I say the price tag. It was $120 more at Macys than where we got it

Agree with also shopping around. I’d found a girls dress for DD that she loved. Found the exact same dress under a different label at JCPenney for a significant discount. Good luck!

When DD was high school, who was quite involved in quite a few things... in school and out... She needed lots of dressy stuff, and dressier clothing, Dressy short for Homecoming, Dressy Long for Prom, Then another dress for home coming court, spring formals, then all the banquets, color guard and band stuff, and other clubs dinners and banquets, awards ceremony, the list can go on and on...Plus things that we had at Church for high school kids.

Here's what I learned... It's all about timing... and shopping and buying clearance racks... You can really scores some nice dresses, and other dressy occasions... Stick to basic styles and colors... Knowing what you will need for the year is important... and they will not want to wear same thing to a functions more than once...

Don't be afraid to buy something that you can dress up or down... can you take of a belt or some bow, or flower, and add a nicer belt, and it will look totally different... I bought DD a basic black dress...It had a terrible belt with it, with these weird flowers ... so we took the belt off, and I had a sparkly belt in the "dress" closet..... along with some sparkly earring that I had picked up, and she was good to go... she wore red heels, and carry a tiny red bag with a silver chain... and she was just stunning...

You can score at Macy's, you just have to be always looking and thinking way ahead of the game... Don't just check the formal area, look in last call
(clearance)... Over the summer check these areas... So the best dresses I bought DD were in the summer time... 300.00 dollar dress marked down to 11.00 yes please, a 500.00 dollar formal dress, marked down to 35.00 again another yes Please....

Even now, I shop this way... Last week I came across this super cute long skirt that was in DD's size, so I got it, then at another store I found the perfect tank to go with it... this will be great for the summer here in Florida, she is getting the outfit as one of her birthday presents in April... I bought a Michael Kors short sundress for myself, at Steinmart for 20.00, It will be a nice date night dress... I know that we are going to Japan this year, and I will need a nice coat, so I am shopping for this now... I am looking to score under 50.00 bucks... so we will see...

Store like Marshall, and TJ Maxx will have nice summer casual dresses, short to long, I have gotten them for like 15.00 to 30.00 dollars... They also will have more trend options, that won't break the bank... jumpsuits, or rompers...
Nordstrom's Rack... also is a good place to check out...some times you can get a real deal... if name brands are important...

I always, look for things like jewelry, belts, hair accessories, small handbags... when ever I am out shopping, I bought some really nice expensive dressy costume earrings, necklaces, and bracelets, on the clearance rack for like 1.99 up to 4.99... the cheapest original price was like 35.00 dollars...

Shoes are a bit harder.. but total doable...

I cant answer about Macys but I just wanted to say to shop around.
For my dd's prom we drove to a huge store in NJ and she found the perfect dress.
Then I walked into my local Macys and saw the same exact one there and was so disappointed that I drove an hour to get hers, until I say the price tag. It was $120 more at Macys than where we got it

Where in NJ did you go? We have started our hunt. When did $500 dresses become the norm?

Where in NJ did you go? We have started our hunt. When did $500 dresses become the norm?

I'm 99% it was Camille La Vie in Secaucus. It was a few years ago and I honestly don't remember, but I know there was one in NY where we got her dress for her Junior prom but it closed before her Senior. We wanted to try there again because they had a huge selection for all budgets. I just googled mapped it and yes that was the place.
I gave my dd a budget of $200 for a dress, there was no way I was paying more even though she was looking at ones that cost up near $600 :faint:

It will likely go down. When is her prom? Friends and Family is the end of April 30% coupon. Their may be a VIP sale before that, same discount. If you don’t have a Macy’s card you get 20% off up to $100 in savings the first 2 days that you open the card. Never pay full price unless you are completely out of time. Price adjustment is 10 days. Formal dress return policy is 60 days.

When DD was high school, who was quite involved in quite a few things... in school and out... She needed lots of dressy stuff, and dressier clothing, Dressy short for Homecoming, Dressy Long for Prom, Then another dress for home coming court, spring formals, then all the banquets, color guard and band stuff, and other clubs dinners and banquets, awards ceremony, the list can go on and on...Plus things that we had at Church for high school kids.

Here's what I learned... It's all about timing... and shopping and buying clearance racks... You can really scores some nice dresses, and other dressy occasions... Stick to basic styles and colors... Knowing what you will need for the year is important... and they will not want to wear same thing to a functions more than once...

Don't be afraid to buy something that you can dress up or down... can you take of a belt or some bow, or flower, and add a nicer belt, and it will look totally different... I bought DD a basic black dress...It had a terrible belt with it, with these weird flowers ... so we took the belt off, and I had a sparkly belt in the "dress" closet..... along with some sparkly earring that I had picked up, and she was good to go... she wore red heels, and carry a tiny red bag with a silver chain... and she was just stunning...

You can score at Macy's, you just have to be always looking and thinking way ahead of the game... Don't just check the formal area, look in last call
(clearance)... Over the summer check these areas... So the best dresses I bought DD were in the summer time... 300.00 dollar dress marked down to 11.00 yes please, a 500.00 dollar formal dress, marked down to 35.00 again another yes Please....

Even now, I shop this way... Last week I came across this super cute long skirt that was in DD's size, so I got it, then at another store I found the perfect tank to go with it... this will be great for the summer here in Florida, she is getting the outfit as one of her birthday presents in April... I bought a Michael Kors short sundress for myself, at Steinmart for 20.00, It will be a nice date night dress... I know that we are going to Japan this year, and I will need a nice coat, so I am shopping for this now... I am looking to score under 50.00 bucks... so we will see...

Store like Marshall, and TJ Maxx will have nice summer casual dresses, short to long, I have gotten them for like 15.00 to 30.00 dollars... They also will have more trend options, that won't break the bank... jumpsuits, or rompers...
Nordstrom's Rack... also is a good place to check out...some times you can get a real deal... if name brands are important...

I always, look for things like jewelry, belts, hair accessories, small handbags... when ever I am out shopping, I bought some really nice expensive dressy costume earrings, necklaces, and bracelets, on the clearance rack for like 1.99 up to 4.99... the cheapest original price was like 35.00 dollars...

Shoes are a bit harder.. but total doable...
I would like to hire you as my personal shopper!! 🤣

I would like to hire you as my personal shopper!! 🤣

Thanks so much... I actually have thought about it..

It really is just about having time to shop and focus on what is there, not going with just that one thing in mind.. and being open to the possibilities.
Once you start it's almost like a game, what can I find today? and what can I get that I really need or need coming up? and at a great price? the key is to know what the item is for... whether you need it now, or in a couple of months..

I'm 99% it was Camille La Vie in Secaucus. It was a few years ago and I honestly don't remember, but I know there was one in NY where we got her dress for her Junior prom but it closed before her Senior. We wanted to try there again because they had a huge selection for all budgets. I just googled mapped it and yes that was the place.
I gave my dd a budget of $200 for a dress, there was no way I was paying more even though she was looking at ones that cost up near $600 :faint:
Prom girl is also by there. Dd18 got her dress at castle couture last year, drove an hour. It was $400 but exactly what she wanted, and dd16 is wearing it to her junior formal this year.

It's so great when a dress gets worn more than once!
It really is! Girls here are really good about lending their dresses, they usually want new for their own prom, but borrow for others, dd18 has borrowed some gorgeous dresses. They do the same for sweet 16’s, buy a couple of their own and then switch. I was looking at pictures on Facebook from this year’s senior fashion show and recognized many of them.

It's so great when a dress gets worn more than once!
We are fortunate that DD is a performer. She wore her white Sweet 16 gown again when she played Aphrodite in "Metamorphosis," and she wore her Junior Ring Dance gown again when she played Morgan Le Fay in "Camelot." Her Senior Prom dress has never been worn again, and that was the most beautiful and expensive of the three.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter