Process For Re-Booking SW Flight When Price Drops?

PSUGuy

Bill From PA
Please walk me through this, I booked SW on the 15th for PHL to MCO for 9,337 points each. If this drops, what do I do, cancel and re-book? Book first then drop the original? I'm new to the points thing.

Bill From PA

Please walk me through this, I booked SW on the 15th for PHL to MCO for 9,337 points each. If this drops, what do I do, cancel and re-book? Book first then drop the original? I'm new to the points thing.

Bill From PA
Do not cancel! Simply select "change reservation". Then you will select the flight you want to change "Select New Flight". You'll select your same flight and it will show you the difference, +/- in the price or points. Select the flight [if favorable] and continue with the confirm/save process. The points will be credited back to your account if there was a savings.

Last edited:
Do not cancel! Simply select "change reservation". Then you will select the flight you want to change "Select New Flight". You'll select your same flight and it will show you the difference, +/- in the price or points. Select the flight [if favorable] and continue with the confirm/save process. The points will be credited back to your account if there was a savings.

Thanks!

Bill From PA

I like to do mine 1 leg at a time too. It is easier on my brain to "see" the savings/difference
But that's just me
I'll check every few days, from the time I book a trip, till close to departure (or till you know the rates have risen and stay there) and I click departure and then arrival

I like to do mine 1 leg at a time too. It is easier on my brain to "see" the savings/difference
But that's just me
I'll check every few days, from the time I book a trip, till close to departure (or till you know the rates have risen and stay there) and I click departure and then arrival

Yes, I used to grouse if both legs weren't available to book when the window opened, now I see the advantage to a split purchase even if it's not necessary. Ya live and learn!

Bill From PA

My $99 flight I booked Friday is over $140 now. (Other leg is unchanged) I do check periodically but am not expecting them to go down. One of the things I love about SW is the ease of changing!

Yes, I used to grouse if both legs weren't available to book when the window opened, now I see the advantage to a split purchase even if it's not necessary. Ya live and learn!

Bill From PA
Though you don't have to book split to check or change one leg.
You can book round trip and just change one leg.

We've been having trouble changing ours. We booked round trip and were trying to change just one leg of our trip and it wouldn't work online. Dh called and they were able to do it that way. So if it doesn't work for you just call and they should be able to take care of it

ALWAYS BOOK ONE WAYS - on all airlines. Unless a significant difference in price. Not an issue with SW of course, but still book one way tickets.

ALWAYS BOOK ONE WAYS - on all airlines. Unless a significant difference in price. Not an issue with SW of course, but still book one way tickets.
If you know for 100% certain you are never going to change, then great idea.
If even a remote chance you will have to change, this can hurt you on legacy airlines. If you had to change both legs you'd have to pay 2 change fees, instead of 1.
Now, I know that doesn't happen often but if it did, that's a $200 difference. So no, when I book with Delta or American I never book one way, just in the off chance I have to change both legs.

As to paying two change fees - the last poster is correct.

With the INSANE fee to change on most big carriers, I assume I would never pay to change. But, if you have a high fare to start with, then maybe it may be worth it sometimes. Southwest makes life so much easier and we use them 90% of the time.

But that's just me
I always book each leg...no more round trip bookings for me. Much easier to make a change. This is the prime reason I fly SW now. My dh is always changing his mind about travel, after I book. SW makes it very easy to change his flights.

This is an old thread but I'm updating as my PHL/MCO flight just went down again to 8,104 from the original 9,337. Our return flight dropped once also so keep checking guys & gals!

Bill From PA

My trip, in 2 weeks, just dropped $35! Nice to get back $70 in credit and then whatever points it was (we paid for 2 of the tickets on points). I didn't expect a drop this close to takeoff, nor on an already-super cheap fare!

Okay, I've flown SW before always getting great fares, but the fares for my November trip stink. (DC to MCO). I want early morning (which used to be the most affordable flight and is now the most expensive) and I haven't seen it budge for weeks. I have a party of 5. Should I just book it and keep stalking for price drops and rebook? I've never done this before. I don't fly often at all (haven't flown in YEARS). I guess I'd have a year to use the credits?

Okay, I've flown SW before always getting great fares, but the fares for my November trip stink. (DC to MCO). I want early morning (which used to be the most affordable flight and is now the most expensive) and I haven't seen it budge for weeks. I have a party of 5. Should I just book it and keep stalking for price drops and rebook? I've never done this before. I don't fly often at all (haven't flown in YEARS). I guess I'd have a year to use the credits?
You would have a year from the date you book the flight to use the credits (and travel has to be completed by that booking date). Plus, the credits will be in each individual traveler's name, so they would only be good for that person. Not sure what dates in November you are planning, if SW is the best fare you can find and you are willing to pay it, go ahead and book. We flew Thanksgiving week last year and they never decreased from what they were on the release date.

You would have a year from the date you book the flight to use the credits (and travel has to be completed by that booking date). Plus, the credits will be in each individual traveler's name, so they would only be good for that person. Not sure what dates in November you are planning, if SW is the best fare you can find and you are willing to pay it, go ahead and book. We flew Thanksgiving week last year and they never decreased from what they were on the release date.

Some other airlines are cheaper but, of course, don't include baggage (which I'll have). Historically, I've always been able to fly to MCO for no more than $160 RT but usually cheaper. Right now, the morning flights are going to run me close to $350 RT. My dates are the first week in November, Saturday to Saturday.

Haven't seen RT flights that low in ages! I think Saturday is one of the most expensive days to fly generally.

Haven't seen RT flights that low in ages! I think Saturday is one of the most expensive days to fly generally.

Right now when I look at the surrounding days (Friday and Sunday/Monday), the prices are WORSE! Tuesday seems to be the best but still not great on my route. It's really weird.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!