Problematic situation - thoughts appreciated

I would still go. You could catch the flu at home/school. They are saying the flu shot is only 30% effective this year so even if you got the flu shot you can still get the flu. The shot wasn't the right strain. I always bring lysol wipes and disposable vinyl gloves (sell boxes in the first aid section) so I'm not touching the germs when I wipe down the airplane arm rests and tray. Then I put all of it in a sandwich size ziploc bag and throw it out (so I don't have used wipes all over the floor of my airplane seat.) I do the same at the hotel with the tv remote, light switches and door knobs. Do a lot of hand washing and don't touch your face. That's the only germ prep I do. oh and I use hand sanitizer a lot (I don't use it at home since I have eczema on my hands and the alcohol in the hand sanitizer bothers it but using it just for a week I can put up it with the itch!) Also lysol wipe down your cell phone. And another poster said take showers before bed - I do that too! Get the park germs off! I would still go. If you stay home and got sick anyway you would be kicking yourself. Sorry your DH got so upset.

There's a lot of good advice as to what to do to prevent/protect yourself and your family. I simply want to add-- as someone who used to live in Fl and now doesn't-- that getting sick in FL is such a nonissue with the amount of clinics they have. Oh, how I miss being able to use a Walgreen's walk-in clinic or CVS Minute Clinic!! Even Target has walk in clinics! They were cheaper than urgent cares and didn't take very long at all. So, even if someone got sick, you'd have several options that wouldn't take too long (by comparison of an ER or cost of a traditional urgent care).

^THIS. They are fast, take insurance and reasonable. We have had negative experiences with FL Hospital urgent care and ER but great with the pharmacy clinics.

FL Hospital Urgent Care wanted $400 deposit on Strep Test and told us to expect more charges.
Drove two more blocks.
Walgreens charged $69 for exam, test and antibiotics.

I would go. DS and I have never had flu shots, and we go about once a month with no issues.

As many people have already mentioned, just be diligent about washing your hands.

Also, I always take Johnson & Johnson Face and Hand wipes with me. They are mild and claim to eliminate 95% of germs, and I will use them periodically throughout the day as DS3 likes to touch pretty much everything.

We didn't get the flu vaccination, not even the kids. I used to, many years ago but would fall sick, very sick anyway and DH never did and would be fine. I stopped and it wasn't any different or there were years when I was perfectly fine when others around me were not.

Fast forward to this year - we have a trip coming up in a few days and with the flu season going as it is, I think we should postpone. I am kicking myself and have promised myself to get the shot for myself and kids going forward but it's too late for kiddo now as it takes 6 weeks with the 2 shots to work. It's 2 shots for kids who have never had it as 1st is not useful without the 2nd I am told.

I have linked the tickets to MDE but I know they are valid till end of 2018. DH didn't take it well at all.

I didn't expect him to be this angry - saying that because I had put so much time in planning (since this was our first and likely only trip with 4 yr old) and because he helped get the FPs over 7 days and spent 3-4 hrs in discussing the whole trip. He says if it's not flu it will be zika or something else. And if I try one more time and that gets canceled and we lose the ticket $$$, he is done with WDW (it will be a big loss but won't kill us to lose the money if that happens).

DH has never given ultimatums like this or behaved like this. Yes he has been under tremendous work pressure, dealing with some issues from his family and made some effort to take this time off. Also we do have some health issues mainly his own which can make future travel iffy. I have never posted for opinions in this manner but this trip planning has been like none other and I am tired and confused.

WWYD?
I agree with your DH.

OP. I am absolutely aware the flu vaccine doesn't cause the flu - not sure why a PP would think that I think that :) Yes, I do have some anxiety. I have lost most vision in one eye, my oldest was very sick for long, lost a job, DH's health is bad etc. Yes I didn't wear my 'big girl panties' and I am perhaps behaving like 'chicken little' but it's been a bad 2017 and I just didn't get the shots. I admitted that.

Also of course one can get the flu anywhere. I just wanted to avoid it at a once in a lifetime trip where we have spent $$$$ and considering how sobering the current stats are. With DH's stance, looks like we are going since I don't want kiddo to miss out if we can't go again.

Thank you to all who provided comments and excellent suggestions. They are very appreciated.

Lots of good suggestions here! Bump up your vitamin C intake for a few days before hand, if you can. We all take Emergen-c or Airborne for two days before we go. Lots of hand washing. Also - drink plenty of water (before leaving and while you are there) and schedule some down time so you aren't running yourselves ragged.
I hope you enjoy a healthy, magical trip!

I would go. These shots aren't that effective this year so it doesn't really matter. FWIW, I went to WDW during the fall of 2016 when Zika was an issue and I was pregnant. I just took precautions. You can do the same with the flu.

OP. I am absolutely aware the flu vaccine doesn't cause the flu - not sure why a PP would think that I think that :) Yes, I do have some anxiety. I have lost most vision in one eye, my oldest was very sick for long, lost a job, DH's health is bad etc. Yes I didn't wear my 'big girl panties' and I am perhaps behaving like 'chicken little' but it's been a bad 2017 and I just didn't get the shots. I admitted that.

Also of course one can get the flu anywhere. I just wanted to avoid it at a once in a lifetime trip where we have spent $$$$ and considering how sobering the current stats are. With DH's stance, looks like we are going since I don't want kiddo to miss out if we can't go again.

Thank you to all who provided comments and excellent suggestions. They are very appreciated.

Anxiety can cause you to focus on the worst case scenario. I get it, I suffer from some anxiety too. I hope once you get to Disney, you will get so immersed in the fun and excitement, that you'll be able to let go of your fear of getting sick. I hope you have a wonderful vacation with your family.:hug:

go to Disney, lighten up and stop worrying about xyz or 123 or whatever.

you sound like chicken little, the sky is falling down oh what will we do

your DH sounds like he needs this escape from real life. is it any wonder he is so angry that something he has put effort into organising and is counting on for some chill out time, now may not happen cos you are flaky. Think of someone else needs not just your own

No reason to attack the poor OP! Have some compassion. I understand her concern. OP, I understand how you feel. Maybe consult with your child's doctor if you are concerned.

Glad to hear you decided to go. The flu threat is not a reason not to go. Anxiety can make it very difficult to see that, though. I'm sorry you have to deal with that.

I made my DD get a flu shot recently, but more worried about germs at college than WDW. "Wet Ones" wipes are supposed to be better than hand sanitizer, I heard. It seems like someone always gets sick on our trips, but the Florida sunshine usually gets them back on their feet fast. Do what you can to protect yourself and your family, then just enjoy!

If it makes you feel better - I've never had a flu shot - and never had the flu - this year - both my parents (90 yrs old) got the flu - and got it very bad - like go to the hospital for over a week bad - I took care of them before they knew they had the flu and then went to the hospital every day while they were there - still didn't get the flu. My sister - who had the vaccine - and was only around them 1 day - got the flu...
I'm glad you're going - don't stress - maybe get trip insurance - and have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!