Problematic situation - thoughts appreciated

1DW4US

Earning My Ears
We didn't get the flu vaccination, not even the kids. I used to, many years ago but would fall sick, very sick anyway and DH never did and would be fine. I stopped and it wasn't any different or there were years when I was perfectly fine when others around me were not.

Fast forward to this year - we have a trip coming up in a few days and with the flu season going as it is, I think we should postpone. I am kicking myself and have promised myself to get the shot for myself and kids going forward but it's too late for kiddo now as it takes 6 weeks with the 2 shots to work. It's 2 shots for kids who have never had it as 1st is not useful without the 2nd I am told.

I have linked the tickets to MDE but I know they are valid till end of 2018. DH didn't take it well at all.

I didn't expect him to be this angry - saying that because I had put so much time in planning (since this was our first and likely only trip with 4 yr old) and because he helped get the FPs over 7 days and spent 3-4 hrs in discussing the whole trip. He says if it's not flu it will be zika or something else. And if I try one more time and that gets canceled and we lose the ticket $$$, he is done with WDW (it will be a big loss but won't kill us to lose the money if that happens).

DH has never given ultimatums like this or behaved like this. Yes he has been under tremendous work pressure, dealing with some issues from his family and made some effort to take this time off. Also we do have some health issues mainly his own which can make future travel iffy. I have never posted for opinions in this manner but this trip planning has been like none other and I am tired and confused.

WWYD?

go to Disney, lighten up and stop worrying about xyz or 123 or whatever.

you sound like chicken little, the sky is falling down oh what will we do

your DH sounds like he needs this escape from real life. is it any wonder he is so angry that something he has put effort into organising and is counting on for some chill out time, now may not happen cos you are flaky. Think of someone else needs not just your own

We're going next month, and even though I've had my share of nervous moments with the recent news, I've decided you can't hide from it. Maybe traveling will expose us more, or maybe it will keep us from being in the wrong place at the wrong time here. There's no way of knowing, and it sounds like your family could really use a vacation. Practice good handwashing, avoid touching your faces, eat well (maybe even take some Airborne) and enjoy your trip.

Go and have the Disney medical information handy if needed. And you might consider getting the shots ASAP anyway...articles today are still saying better now than not at all.

Just so I'm clear - no one in your family currently has the flu, right? Does anyone in your family have some sort of very unique autoimmune issue (undergoing chemo, for example)?

If not, I can't imagine canceling a trip to Disney because there's an off chance someone might catch the flu. You can get it just as easily from a trip to your neighborhood target.

Wash hands, keep fingers out of your face, and have a great trip.

And I would also call your docs office and ask if you can get the shot before your trip. It's a good idea anyway.

So, sometimes, when I am under tremendous work or real-life pressure, I NEED to get away. Postponing a vacation that would give me that time to mentally recuperate would be really hard on me. I can't blame him at all for being upset.

There is always something. Wash hands religiously - chance are, you will all be fine.

go to Disney, lighten up and stop worrying about xyz or 123 or whatever.

you sound like chicken little, the sky is falling down oh what will we do

your DH sounds like he needs this escape from real life. is it any wonder he is so angry that something he has put effort into organising and is counting on for some chill out time, now may not happen cos you are flaky. Think of someone else needs not just your own
The OP came on this board for advice, not insults. Your comment was uncalled for.

I would go. Wash your hands every chance you get. I've gotten into the habit of washing hands as soon as I walk in the door either at home or the hotel. Don't touch your face.
On the ticket cost, even though they expire at the end of 2018, the cost of the tickets can be applied to new tickets in 2019. You just pay whatever the change in price is.

Let your family enjoy their vacation.
You cannot control things like getting sick/injured even if you are at home.
If you have anxiety and that is likely to affect your family's time together, talk to your doc about a mild sedative.
Sounds like your family could really use this vacation.

He says if it's not flu it will be zika or something else.

Hi ... my thoughts:

* Do not postpone because you "might" get the flu. It would be a different story if you actually "had" the flu.

* Suggest you look into "cancellation insurance" AND "trip interruption insurance" if you are worried that you might need to cancel your trip OR if you fear that your trip will be interrupted due to sickness.

* Your husband is correct ... another time it will probably be something else. For example, for us on 2 different occasions it was (a) measles and (b) legionnaire's disease (which we didn't know about but found out it occurred during our trip).

* Be extra careful ... for example:

- Stay away from sick people (especially "before" your trip)

- Diligent hand washing and sanitizing at all times especially during the parks and on the air plane (I found this the most important)

- Wipe down eating surfaces before you eat at the Parks (eg. wipe down table with sanitizing wipe)

- Take extra vitamin C

- Take probiotic or eat yogurt (we find this helps with preventing tummy troubles & if it's your 1st time with probiotics try it at home 1st for a length of time so your system gets used to it ... there are adult & kid probiotics)

- Get plenty of sleep to keep your immune system at its best working condition

- Try to lower stress level as high stress will weaken your immune system

- Bring some of your own snacks/drinks instead of buying all food at the Parks if you are worried about other people handling your food

- Remind everyone to not touch their hands to their face (eg. rub eyes, nose, fingers in mouth etc.) ... I'm constantly reminding my kids and even my husband to stop touching their dirty hands to their faces because it's become a bad habit for them and they don't even know they are doing it.

- If, unluckily, something does happen during your trip then just deal with it the best that you can.
For example, on our 1st trip our youngest had an allergic reaction on arrival day and 1st Park day turned into "go to emergency hospital" day. Subsequent days we had to stay back and rest so we missed a lot of Park time. When we did eventually get into the Parks, after a few days of rest, we did short days and enjoyed what we could the few hours that we were in the Parks. So ... try and not to worry about what "could" happen and just deal with the situation, the best that you can, "should" something happen! :-)

Good luck and have fun! :-)

EDITED TO ADD ... REMINDER to INTERNATIONAL VISITORS:

Please ensure that you have "medical insurance coverage" if you are an international visitor. The 5 minutes we spent seeing the Emergency Doctor generated a "huge" medical bill. However, our medical insurance covered the emergency visit costs. We only paid for the "over the counter" medication (ie. non-prescription medicine).

Last edited:
So correct me if I am wrong but no one in your family is currently sick? Why would you postpone? We NEVER get the flu shot ever. There is always some kind of a risk of travelling and getting sick IMO. Our plan is to carry on anti-bacterial wipes on the plane and scrub down all of our seats, arm rests, head rests, trays, etc and to use hand sanitizer like crazy and of course wash with warm soap and water. (HAS to be WARM water as studies prove cold or even lukewarm water does absolutely nothing, even with soap!) We also have our kids on a probiotic and a multivitamin and will have them taking vitamin c a couple weeks before we leave.

Seriously. GO! :)

I wouldn't postpone. Just want you to know that my whole family of four got flu shots in early October. Two of us got the flu at the end of December. The doctor told me that the shot is about 10% effective this year.

That's what I heard to!

For the future pull up your big girlie panties and ensure that you and yours ALWAYS get your shots in a timely fashion.
Interim as suggested above use hand sanitizer, wash hands regularly (good habit whether it's flu season or not), and wear mouth masks, if your concern is that strong.

My father and his brothers lost their mother and maternal grandmother within one week of each other during the WWI pandemic so I take the flu very seriously.

At this point just go since so much has already been invested in the trip.

Last edited:
Go. I got the flu shot and currently have the flu. Getting the shot this year hasn't helped the majority of people. It's a bad flu season and the shot is basically ineffective with the two particular strains that are rampant right now.

Going forward, get the flu shot every year by September. It will NOT make you sick. That is a myth...the flu vaccine doesn't contain active virus and cannot make you sick. Educate yourself and keep your family safe. The number of people who have died from flu this year is very sobering.

I agree with your husband. Take the trip.

So correct me if I am wrong but no one in your family is currently sick? Why would you postpone? We NEVER get the flu shot ever. There is always some kind of a risk of travelling and getting sick IMO. Our plan is to carry on anti-bacterial wipes on the plane and scrub down all of our seats, arm rests, head rests, trays, etc and to use hand sanitizer like crazy and of course wash with warm soap and water. (HAS to be WARM water as studies prove cold or even lukewarm water does absolutely nothing, even with soap!) We also have our kids on a probiotic and a multivitamin and will have them taking vitamin c a couple weeks before we leave.

Seriously. GO! :)
wiping seats and headrests will not help with those as they are fabric and wipe will not get inside and that can come through. yes arm rests and tray tables but for seats and headrests covering with plastic would help but for me that would cause other problems

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!