Probably silly question about the main entry plaza and accessing Downtown Disney

akmomesq

Mouseketeer
I know the answer must be "yes, of course" but if someone could confirm... my question has to do with accessing Downtown Disney from an offsite (Harbor Blvd hotel....PVI). We don't have to go through the main entry plaza (and bag check) to get from the Harbor side to Downtown Disney, do we? We always stay at GC so we've never had cause to consider or look. (I just want to be assured I can run ahead and get coffee at Starbucks without waiting in bag lines while everyone else is getting ready ....)

Yes, I do have to go through bag check? No walk around - through a parking lot or something?

They have Starbucks at the Courtyard Marriott (the one with the water park). It's just up the street from PVI, past McDonalds, behind Panera.

Last edited:

Yes, if you wish to get to Downtown Disney from S Harbor you will have to go through security to get into the esplanade and then go through security again to get back to the esplanade from Downtown Disney - as others have said, I'd find another Starbucks!

The Starbucks that are located outside of the security zone (the zone runs from the Harbor side of the esplanade through DTD to the AMC/ESPN Zone/Rainforest Cafe end of DTD) are at: the Courtyard Marriott, Ball Rd. and Harbor (at the gas station), in the Hilton lobby, and by the Walgreens at Harbor and Katella. There is a Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf on Katella, just west of the CVS. The two Starbucks in DTD will require you to go through security at one of the bag check points (Harbor, GCH, DLH/ESPN Zone, or ESPN Zone/Rainforest Cafe).

ETA: As other posters have noted, the Courtyard Marriott Starbucks is not a full Starbucks location. But the other locations are listed above are full service stores.

Last edited:

Yes, if you wish to get to Downtown Disney from S Harbor you will have to go through security to get into the esplanade and then go through security again to get back to the esplanade from Downtown Disney - as others have said, I'd find another Starbucks!
Pretty sure you only would have to go through on the Harbor side only. They have moved that security checkpoint to the other end of DTD

You no longer need to go through security twice to get to DTD from Harbor. DTD and the esplanade are now one large enclosed security "bubble" with checkpoints at Harbor, the GCH DTD entrance, DLH/ESPN Zone, and ESPN Zone/Rainforest Cafe -- by the valet drop off. It is so nice and convenient to only have to go through security once now for the parks and DTD!

Got it (and thank you all) - but a few of you have said something that surprised me... they moved the bag check/security zone from the entrance of DD (between the two parks and DD) to the other side of DD, near DLH? That works out well for me :) Sorry theluckyrabbit! We were posting at the same time. You've answered my question. And I agree - that's an awesome change!

from your question I'm guessing that you are not aware that Downtown Disney is now inside the security zone. even if you walked around the outside to the Disneyland Hotel you would need to go through bag check to get to Starbucks.

edit: I was writing as you wrote your last post

We were staying at DLH and had to go through bag check just to get to Earl of Sandwich.

We stopped at Whitewater snacks for carry out on our way back from the parks last year and had to go through bag check just to use DTD to go back to our hotel. I joked with my daughter about them needing to inspect my nachos inside the small box, and that's exactly what they did. We still joke about "Kenny" taking his job a little too seriously.......

Just look at DTD as one big security zone, almost an extension of the parks.

You no longer need to go through security twice to get to DTD from Harbor. DTD and the esplanade are now one large enclosed security "bubble" with checkpoints at Harbor, the GCH DTD entrance, DLH/ESPN Zone, and ESPN Zone/Rainforest Cafe -- by the valet drop off. It is so nice and convenient to only have to go through security once now for the parks and DTD!

That is better as that was a hassle to go to DTD from the Esplanade and then have to get into another line to get back into the park gates.

They have Starbucks at the Courtyard Marriott (the one with the water park). It's just up the street from PVI, past McDonalds, behind Panera.
When I was there (which was admittedly a while ago), it's not a full Starbucks! :sad: The Bistro Cafe served Starbucks Coffee, but couldn't/didn't have all of the specialty drinks (e.g., no Fraps!).

Somewhat unrelated question, but does this mean if you are staying at the Grand Californian, you don't need to do a security check for either park or Downtown Disney? That would be awesome.

Somewhat unrelated question, but does this mean if you are staying at the Grand Californian, you don't need to do a security check for either park or Downtown Disney? That would be awesome.

Someone mentioned earlier there is a security checkpoint at the entrance to DTD from the Grand Californian. I can't imagine they would or should allow hotel guests to enter the park without being cleared through security since there is no security when entering the hotel.

No, the GCH (along with PPH and DLH) are outside the "security zone", so you'll still need to go through security before entering DTD or DCA. They've set up smaller check points (one or two metal detectors and a couple of guards) at the entrance to DTD from the GCH (the one that is near the Dream Boutique (formerly Anna & Elsa's Boutique)) and at the entrance to DCA.

I stay there all the time...it is the Courtyard Bistro that just serves Starbucks Coffee...not a Starbucks location. Just a basic expresso machine and a few flavor shots and limited menu available, not a full Starbucks menu.

If you just want something simple like a vanilla latte, it is a great option but you won't be able to go full custom on your drinks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter