Prix fixe at BOG

So, I better not just go to Denny's for a cup of coffee anymore? .

Denny's is a coffee shop. It is assumed that people may go into a place like that and order a cup of coffee and talk. I am guessing if you took a large party into Denny's and ordered one cup of coffee for the entire group, with everyone else drinking water and tied up a table during breakfast hours on a weekend morning, you may get some sideways looks from the server. Really, I think the issue is, families and groups would come in, order one cupcake and a glasses of water, in a full service restaurant. A high demand restaurant that is really there to sell dinners, etc. Can a person do that, go in and order one thing. Sure, there is (well was) no rule against it. Disney obviously found an issue with it and changed the policy. Sort of what happened many years ago with CRT, when there were groups of people booking all the ADRs for the restaurant and doling them out to people who were "friends". Disney had an issue with that too, and changed the way booking ADRs was done and now require CC to hold it.

I don't understand why people want to add more characters in order to make it 'worth it' - again, I know I'm in the minority but I don't like character meals, and look at the size of the Beast, he'd be a liability walking around that restaurant!

Also, isn't he a recluse? I mean he doesn't exactly greet his castle guests (unless by greet we mean throw them in the tower jail cell)

That being said, my first BOG dinner is in May and I'm kind of disappointed I'll be missing the new menu. But I'm never on the dining plan anyway.

I’m sure they’re not and I never said most are. I just know that if I went in and ordered a cupcake and water, I would tip the price of the cupcake at least.

This should be standard practice, otherwise yeah... you’re screwing the servers.

Ok so that’s what $5? For an hour at the table? That server could have made $20+ from that same table in that time. No matter how you look at it ordering a cupcake screws the server.

For 55 a person, I think its pretty good. If someone doesn't want three courses, then simply don't come and go to lunch or Dinner. I love the vibe inside during dinner and it should feel like a more premium dining experience. There are more than enough character dinners in Disney, and mostly they all have some basic food not very good

Last edited:
I understand the change and don't have an issue with it (other than it not being great for me personally - prix fixe as a vegetarian never feels great, especially since there usually aren't multiple options to choose from in that case). So I probably won't be back, but I already wasn't planning to go again because other than the soup I'm not a huge fan of the food.

I think Disney created the cupcake-only problem by having BoG dinner be the only way to meet the Beast. I prefer BoG lunch, but I have done dinner twice when traveling with people who wanted to see the Beast. The first time, full dinner, wasn't impressed with the entrees at all. Second time, got a late evening reservation and did soups and desserts. And since then, I have no plans to return except for lunch if it fits with plans. (If they remove the potato leek soup I'll skip it for lunch, too, haha.) Interested to see if breakfast and lunch go through changes.

other than it not being great for me personally - prix fixe as a vegetarian never feels great, especially since there usually aren't multiple options to choose from in that case

Have to admit, that's a very real issue that wouldn't have occurred to me.

Hahaha, I should probably stop posting! I'm not on the ball tonight, it seems. Price is a definitely a factor that weighs in when it comes to value of credits, and probably the one that gets thrown around the most because it's probably the most tangible/visible. I don't think it's exactly fair to say it's the only factor being taken into account, though. We're also discussing: will the new food actually taste better? This is going to be 2 credits but the restaurant is very crowded and some people complain about the cafeteria-like feel. And to me, there's this strange sort of disparity there if you take the actual pricing (yes, again, price tag, but with a side of psychology) into account. Breakfast is $25 for quick service breakfast? and a quick service credit (I agree I don't think the breakfast food is worth $25 by the way). Dinner is a three course meal that costs $55 and is two table service credits. I feel like that's a really weird, mindboggling jump in credit value for what may not be a proportionate jump in monetary/actual food value and that might be causing some of the problem? I don't know, that might just be me. Value isn't necessarily always just money but also comfort, taste, atmosphere, perception, a number of factors that can quite often end up being more than the sum of its parts.

The biggest thing holding Be Our Guest back for me, more than the price right now, actually, is that it is so crowded and busy and the food isn't that great. If the new food IS that great (I did say it does need to be a good meal), that's a huge step in the right direction. And if miracles happen and they actually take some of the tables out so the place isn't so packed, that would be incredible.

Edit: Fixing up the bit about breakfast vs dinner a little to better convey what I meant about it.
I think there are two separate concerns to take into account here.

1. Will the improvement in the purchased product be enough to justify the increase in cost to the guest?
2. Paying Cash has a clear advantage over using DDP at this restaurant.

My thoughts on 2: People who purchase DDP want there to be value in it. If I'm committing to basically pre-paying for my meals, I want to make sure that I get at least a marginally better deal. It's like getting an slight online discount for a show/concert when you buy the ticket ahead of time, guaranteeing their income, rather than paying at the door/box office day-of. Now its like, 'oh you bought online ahead of time? thanks! But, now it will cost YOU 2 prepaid tickets instead of 1'.

Of course, after enough complaining, Disney is probably going to change things again and say 'ok well now the OOP cost is $100/adult, so now DDP essentially saves you $10!'

My thoughts on 1: I don't mind that they raised the cost and maybe are attempting to improve the product. But it does make it far more difficult for me to take my young kids to their favorite restaurant. I can't fault them for it though. It's as if I took my kids to a park that just had a slide and they loved it. Then the next year they add a swingset and a jungle gym to the slide and say, but we're going to charge you admission now. Stinks that I can't take them to the free park anymore, but at least they may get something better (?)

Now that's the real question. Did they improve it in a way that actually makes it better? So far it looks like they just shifted their target client from a family with young kids to a more adult-oriented client base. Kids can be notoriously picky with food. Even if they offer more upscale dishes on the kids menu, a majority of kids with simply look for their chicken fingers and french fries (which they will probably not finish anyway). Parents are not going to want to pay $35 for a meal for a 3 year old.

When Volkswagen started selling the Beetle it was one of the cheaper cars available. Then when they re-released it in the US, their goal was to resell it to the same people that loved it when they were younger but at a more premium price. I hope that's not the direction BOG takes. While Disney is constantly reselling us our youth, I enjoy Disney because I get to share my youth with my kids and watch them enjoy theirs. Not trying to over-dramatize this (fail), but just being honest.

The issue is, a cupcake is $5. If they leave 100% that is still a pretty awful tip. If you went to flying fish and spent an hour there, and tipped $10, that is not a very good tip for your server compared to what they would have made from a table that actually ate a meal.

My husband and I make breakfast reservations for cupcakes and coffee. We wait for the cupcakes to come out and we leave. We also leave a very good tip. We don't eat breakfast but we love the cupcakes so we just go in to get the cupcakes and save it for later. I bet there are other people like us.

We've been for lunch and dinner but we weren't fond of the food. The cupcakes are the only reason we would go.

My husband and I make breakfast reservations for cupcakes and coffee. We wait for the cupcakes to come out and we leave. We also leave a very good tip. We don't eat breakfast but we love the cupcakes so we just go in to get the cupcakes and save it for later. I bet there are other people like us.

We've been for lunch and dinner but we weren't fond of the food. The cupcakes are the only reason we would go.

Breakfast is not a tipped meal (I've never seen anyone leave a tip) ... so that is a different scenario than dinner situation. But you prove why they should sell these cupcakes at Gaston's Tavern. Some people like them and would like to buy them without the hassle of dealing with BOG process.

Even if the others do what you say, it doesn't do anything to help all the folks who want to eat there get in. The ADR system allots everyone time to eat breakfast. When a guest leaves sooner, it doesn't really change anything for the restaurant since they don't do walk ups, especially for breakfast. So the same financial gap applies as your table was scheduled for so much time whether you are there are not.

I think Disney created the cupcake-only problem by having BoG dinner be the only way to meet the Beast. I prefer BoG lunch, but I have done dinner twice when traveling with people who wanted to see the Beast. The first time, full dinner, wasn't impressed with the entrees at all. Second time, got a late evening reservation and did soups and desserts. And since then, I have no plans to return except for lunch if it fits with plans. (If they remove the potato leek soup I'll skip it for lunch, too, haha.) Interested to see if breakfast and lunch go through changes.

BOG is not a character meal and Disney says at any point the beast may not be there so if that is the plan- going to see the beast don’t bet on it. He could disappear any day and they may decide to do that since they never called it a character meal and they are trying to make it more fancy.

Breakfast is not a tipped meal (I've never seen anyone leave a tip) ... so that is a different scenario than dinner situation. But you prove why they should sell these cupcakes at Gaston's Tavern. Some people like them and would like to buy them without the hassle of dealing with BOG process.

Even if the others do what you say, it doesn't do anything to help all the folks who want to eat there get in. The ADR system allots everyone time to eat breakfast. When a guest leaves sooner, it doesn't really change anything for the restaurant since they don't do walk ups, especially for breakfast. So the same financial gap applies as your table was scheduled for so much time whether you are there are not.

We always tip but that's just us I guess.

I would love it if they sold the cupcakes at Gaston's. I would rather not have to go through the whole process for a cupcake but I do love them.

I'm sure they know people go in and get coffee or cupcakes just to see the place or to get into the park before opening. It sounds like a good amount of people do it and I'm sure Disney adjusts reservations for that. They know on average how fast tables are turning over. I really don't know how many sit there and hang out though.

He already walks around the restaurant; he just doesn't stop at tables. He walks in and around each room before heading to his meeting spot.

Oh really? I never knew that! We've only ever been once for dinner and it was when it first opened (because we haven't been able to get an ADR!) and I honestly don't think we even met him, let alone saw him walking around - but as I said, it was years ago! I'm amazed he fits between tables, he's a big guy!

If it goes to a prix fixe breakfast and lunch, do you think it would stay QS and just be 1 QS credit? Because if the prices for breakfast stay the same, I think that's quite a good use of one QS credit - but I wouldn't pay that much out of pocket! So kind of the opposite of dinner!

I'm looking forward to seeing more of the menu.

For 55 a person, I think its pretty good. If someone doesn't want three courses, then simply don't come and go to lunch or Dinner. I love the vibe inside during dinner and it should feel like a more premium dining experience. There are more than enough character dinners in Disney, and mostly they all have some basic food not very good
Unfortunately for me, that's not an option. If Beast is only at dinner, the 1st timer we'll be traveling with HAS to see Beast, so I'm screwed.

BOG is not a character meal and Disney says at any point the beast may not be there so if that is the plan- going to see the beast don’t bet on it. He could disappear any day and they may decide to do that since they never called it a character meal and they are trying to make it more fancy.

I think they have a disclaimer like this at all character meals. Specific characters are never guaranteed, but they do seem to try to do the right thing by substituting a reasonable character. I think most people would be just as happy to meet Belle as they are The Beast.

I was kinda impressed with the way BOG presented the Beast. Every so many minutes, the announcement, “Ladies and gentlemen, the Master has arrived to the Castle.”

He strolls through with everyone waving and applauding. My four baby nieces were fascinated by him, and it was a fun and low-key way to enjoy a character meal. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter