Private Messages re: Podcast Awards

I respectfully ask the moderators to remove this thread.

Thank you.

I got the PM and didn't have a problem with it. I don't personally consider it spam. I think the DIS Unplugged podcast is great and they should be proud of their work each week. I also don't think anyone is being mean here. We are an opinionated bunch of folks that love Disney and WDWinfo and all of its parts or we wouldn't come here for hours every day

However, I think this thread is serving no purpose now and agree with the OP that it should be locked or deleted before people do get their feelings hurt. I know that is not what was intended here. :goodvibes

As always, this is all IMHO.

Thanks Snoopy

I guess what I meant was Main Admins.. and I should've stated.. emails saying things like "dis will be shut down for a week for maintenance" or "there is a spammer on the boards who are asking for cc info".. that type of thing.

Unless i sign up for emails about something, I don't really want them.... I have no interest in podcast, to be honest. I got an email from a user named "The Dis Unplugged team".. I have no idea who that is or if they're admin or anything. They show 0 posts. It sounded like a spam to me. Very advertisey "If you don't know who we are, tune in here ____"

I think Quinn222 was right, that IS the main admins. I believe Pete, who is the owner of the boards, and his team, who are the people that do the podcast, ARE the main admins as well.

Now I understand...:scratchin :scratchin :scratchin

I went to her blog and she's got her own podcast...can anyone say sour grapes.:sad2:

I gotta tell ya ;) it really burns me up when people come over here trying to stir up trouble! I love the podcasts and I think the Team does an awesome job. :thumbsup2

Oh and by the way it's Pete's site, if he wants to send you a pm he's well within his rights to do so!

Good job investigating cocowum! I hate when people come over here to stir the pot too...go to the community board already!! This board is for Pod Squad lovers...no haters please. :snooty:

koolaidman5nw.jpg

Funny I never saw anything wrong with Kool aid either.:confused3

I signed up for dis to learn more about disney.. to plan a vacation.. and to share tips on the budget board.. not to learn more about a podcast.

That is what this podcast does. Perhaps, if you haven't already, you could give it a listen to see if it helps you in your quest to "learn more about disney...to plan a vacation.." Again, I think the webmasters (the ones who sent the PMs) are doing their jobs in ensuring those who signed up on the Dis are getting the best info out there and are making everyone aware of the different ways to obtain it through the site.

I expressed an opinion. Like it or not, thats what message boards are about.

That is very true...however, it appears many people have an opinion they are expressing which is different from yours. I think you may have gotten more than you bargained for voicing your opinion via a discussion board vs. just contacting the administrators. Also, it was a bit uncalled for to include your comments about hoping the DIS Unplugged does not win in the category they were nominated for. I am sure your loyal podcast listeners would have reacted the same way under similar circumstances.

This is crazy!!!!
1. A PM on a private web site you signed up to is not SPAM. At work I block about 1800 mail messages a day-I can show you SPAM.
2. The DISers did not take the mail you registered with and send you an EMAIL-that could have been SPAM.
3. BTW you can not be sent a 'PM' at work unless you signed into the DIS Boards at work. If it is OK for you to do this-you can not complain about getting the PM pop-up---you came here!
4. If you got an EMAIL saying you had a PM-you set up your account that way-you used your work EMAIL. You said is was OK to receive mail.

For podcasters, this is a big award-I have no problem with the DISers asking their listeners to vote for the DIS Unplugged. They can say whatever they want-it is their podcast/web site.

This is their site.
And I think it's a pretty awesome site on the whole.

One email to show people another feature that perhaps some didn't realize existed could be considered good customer service.

If that's the worst of it, I think it's a pretty awesome site!

what could possibly be distasteful about a PM from some of the hard working folks that help keep this free to use site going?

I just clicked on this because the topic was on the main page of the forums.. and I will admit I thought the PM was pretty tacky. I like that these forums don't send spam and that's exactly what this PM was in my opinion. DIS shouldn't allow anybody but the main admins to send emails to EVERYONE... it IS spammy.... I was put off by it too.

I chose to NOT receive promotional emails. But I got this in my PM box. Unsolicited. I signed up for dis to learn more about Disney.. to plan a vacation.. and to share tips on the budget board.. not to learn more about a podcast.

Wow...just wow.

I have enjoyed the DIS for many years - and I am glad that Pete had the vision to create such a great site for us Disney lovers! :love:

This is a free site - and for anyone to get upset when the owner of the site sends and informational PM/email that they think the members of their board will find helpful - is a little over the top.

I for one am glad at how Pete and his team has improved the boards and site over the years. We all need to remember that we are guests on Pete's boards. :)

Pete- I don't know how you do it. You put in all this effort - and people complain about how you decide to run your site. I'm so glad I do not have your job! :guilty:

Wow...just wow.

I have enjoyed the DIS for many years - and I am glad that Pete had the vision to create such a great site for us Disney lovers! :love:

This is a free site - and for anyone to get upset when the owner of the site sends and informational PM/email that they think the members of their board will find helpful - is a little over the top.

I for one am glad at how Pete and his team has improved the boards and site over the years. We all need to remember that we are guests on Pete's boards. :)

Pete- I don't know how you do it. You put in all this effort - and people complain about how you decide to run your site. I'm so glad I do not have your job! :guilty:

Well said Blue Skies.

This is a public forum, but there is a business side to this site. I understand that completely.

If you don't like a certain aspect of any business you typically don't participate or spend your time and money there. If anyone feels put off, or upset by the PM that much then the best way to deal with it is not to participate in these forums.

Pete and the DIS Team -
Please feel free to send me anything you wish. I personally like hearing from you guys. The podcast is fantastic!

I just clicked on this because the topic was on the main page of the forums.. and I will admit I thought the PM was pretty tacky. I like that these forums don't send spam and that's exactly what this PM was in my opinion. DIS shouldn't allow anybody but the main admins to send emails to EVERYONE... it IS spammy.... I was put off by it too.

I chose to NOT receive promotional emails. But I got this in my PM box. Unsolicited. I signed up for dis to learn more about disney.. to plan a vacation.. and to share tips on the budget board.. not to learn more about a podcast.

You should got to User CP/Edit Options, and uncheck the box that says "Enable Private Messaging". Otherwise you can receive private message from at least the Admins, and the Admins are the people who do the podcast, so if you don't want the message from them that is your only choice.

Here is my view. What took them so long to PM everyone. I the disboards have 120000+ members. If you want to win you need the votes.

I will also be shocked if Dis-Unplugged does not win. People are very loyal to the boards.

Podcast Awards = Popularity contest.

I listen to about 15 different Disney podcasts. I like them all. Dis-Unplugged currently ranks about 7 on my list.

One change they could have made in the PM is to encourage people to vote for 'Inside the Magic' as best produced. It would have been cool to support another Disney podcast.

Oh and by the way it's Pete's site, if he wants to send you a pm he's well within his rights to do so!

This is my thought exactly. If you aren't interested, just delete it! It's not like they do this sort of thing all the time! I think the DIS podcast is something not a lot of people on the boards are aware of, and this was another way to get the word out to people who might not otherwise understand what it is or where they can get it.

Cocowum I agree with you, I also got the the blatant message from Lou Mongello about voting for him, and that did not offend me at all. People like Pete and his crew and Lou Mongello, provide us with forums and communities where we can can gather and discuss and learn and enjoy our appreciation for Disney...and they do it ALL FOR FREE TO US. If everyonce in a while they want to send me a pm asking for my support for something they can go right ahead.

I just have to put in a little back up for Lou Mongello and WDW Radio. Lou never even mentioned the podcast awards during the nomination process. He even mentioned on his board that he didn't want to be showy and beg to be nominated, but his fans nominated him anyway because he has an excellent show. Now that he is nominated, you can't really blame him for asking for votes. He was sort of darned if he did and darned if he didn't. I don't think Lou Mongello has a blatant or haughty bone in his body. He is very appreciative to be nominated and notes that he finds himself among a very impressive group of shows. He is a genuinely wonderful person.

Oh Lou... :rotfl:

I like both podcasts and it's really a privilege for me to be able to listen to them both.

Edited to Add: I find it amusing how Pete was just talking about how he has very few problems with the Teen Board and the kids there, but it's the adults that act more like children and can't get along.

I just have to put in a little back up for Lou Mongello and WDW Radio.

Edited to Add: I find it amusing how Pete was just talking about how he has very few problems with the Teen Board and the kids there, but it's the adults that act more like children and can't get along.

Sam, I did not mean the post as an attack at Lou in any way, and as you can see from my posts I am a big fan of his. What I was referring to in that post was whether the PM that people received was even a beg for votes. I was just pointing out that other podcasts had sent a more direct email/private message asking for votes than the one that the Dis had sent out, and I think that those nominated have the absolute right to ask for support from their boards.

Sam, I did not mean the post as an attack at Lou in any way, and as you can see from my posts I am a big fan of his. What I was referring to in that post was whether the PM that people received was even a beg for votes. I was just pointing out that other podcasts had sent a more direct email/private message asking for votes than the one that the Dis had sent out, and I think that those nominated have the absolute right to ask for support from their boards.

Oh I know you didn't write that as an attack. I probably shouldn't have quoted you, but I wanted people to know what I was referring to. I totally didn't think you were attacking anyone at all. Didn't mean for it to come off that way, my apologies!!

Here's an interesting fact. Last year, there was only one Disney podcast nominated in the travel section of the podcast awards and this year there are three, not to mention Inside the Magic, which is nominated for Best Produced. ITM is also a really fun podcast with great binaural audio of ride throughs and park walk-throughs. So, getting back to my point, it seems that Disney podcasting is growing as a community and really I wish I could vote for all of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter