Priority Seating Question (involving 2 families)

RamseyTrio

DIS Veteran
Hi - We're travelling to WDW with another family in October. Although we aren't spending every breathing minute at the world with them we do plan to hook up for at least one meal a day. I'm in charge of the restaurants and planning :crazy: Talk about pressure!

Here's my PS question...

Do I make 1 reservation for all 8 of us? (what happens if 1 family doesn't show and only 4 show up?)

Do I tell the cm that there are 2 families of 4 and please seat nearby? (I realize that many restaurants often need to split larger parties into extra tables anyway).

Any suggestions from those with experience are much appreciated:)

Thanks!

i would try to book a table for the entire party. if that fails, then 2 tables requested near to each other as you all are travelling together. good luck!:tongue:

I'd prefer us all at 1 table but do they penalize you if your PS is for 8 and only 4 show up?

Originally posted by RamseyTrio

>Do I make 1 reservation for all 8 of us? (what happens if 1 family doesn't show and only 4 show up?)
Make it for 8. If a family doesn't show, just tell the greeting staff to change the party size.

>Do I tell the cm that there are 2 families of 4 and please seat nearby?
This is difficult, depending on what time your PS is. For example, if you are dining when the restaurant first opens, not a problem, the entire restaurant is available and it is very easy to seat two parties side by side or maybe even together.
BUT, if your PS is later in the evening, then it is difficult to predict what two tables will be available at the same time.
IF you book two separate tables, ask that the comments cross reference the two PS's so the seating staff at least knows that they are "related"

>Any suggestions from those with experience are much appreciated

Make the PS for 8, make it early in the evening. Arrive early (entire party not a token person to check-in) give the seating staff as much cooperation and help as possible to accommodate your larger party size.

I would make the ressie for all 8. Once you check in for your priority seating you will probably have to wait for a table to open up. If you book as 2 families you might not get seated next to each other, depending what tables open up.

I made PSs for four families this past December. There were 13 of us in all, in most cases, and with every priority seating, I was asked to leave a credit card number when I made the PS. Except for Cinderella's Royal Table, the card was not charged when I made the PS. They said it would only be used if we did not show up -- and then, there would be a $10 charge per person.

One of our party wasn't feeling too good the evening we went to Whispering Canyon Cafe, so I called dining to reduce the number in our party by one. I thought if we didn't, my card would be charged $10 for the no-show. The dining CM acted like I was nuts for calling that in. As long as the rest of us showed up, according to her, there would be no problem. Now, if it had been half of us that backed out, I'm not sure what would have happened. I'm guessing it still would have been OK, but you never know with Disney. As we all know, you rarely get the same answer twice.

In our case, we wanted to be seated together if at all possible, so I made all the PSs for our entire party of 13. I just emphasized to everyone in our group that they were free to change their plans at any time if they wanted. All I asked was that they let me know, a little bit in advance, of any changes since it was my card holding the priority seating.

Good luck! You're going to have a marvelous time!

Pat

291 days and counting . . . again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter