Princess Half and Knee Pain... need advice from experienced runners!!

I experienced severe knee pain last year while training for Star Wars The Dark Side last April. After some foolish attempts to simply run through the pain, I realized I had to take time off. Honestly, I was pretty scared for a while that this pain would end my hopes of finishing the Star Wars races and my then budding dreams of running the marathon. But I also knew that the pain was too much.

I took about 3 weeks off, albeit at different times, like 2 weeks off, 1 week running, and then sickness sidelining me for another week. When I started back up about this time, I started slowly and never even worried about getting back to where I was before the pain began. I'm a slow runner to begin with, but that approach did the trick. I was able to train pain free and quickly learned the signs that indicated I needed to slow down. Whenever I noticed the initial signs of the knee pain coming back, I immediately slowed down to a pain free pace.

My thoughts. If you want to at least attempt the race, go for it. But start the race slowly and see how your body responds. Don't be afraid of walking most or all of the race. If you can walk the race relatively pain free and maintain the pace, you'll still cross that finish line. You may have to forego pictures on the course. But there will be plenty of time for those after the races in the parks. I would also advise any running partners that you will be going slow and will not be offended if they choose to go faster. Run your race. Even if that's a slower one.
Thank you for the advice! I am glad you were able to recover! I plan to go VERY slow... its tough because even though I am not a crazy fast runner, I am someone who always wants to push myself to the max. But I am so terrified of the pain coming back that I don't think I'll have any problem really slowing it down! Its hard that I can't practice between now and then.. I think rest is my best bet and not trying to do a test run or anything so I'll just have to see what happens. But I am encouraged by all of your stories... I will be the happiest person ever if I cross that finish line and put this stress behind me.

I just wore it each time I ran. However, I don’t think it would be an issue to wear it the rest of the time either. It may even help you get used to the feel of it since you don’t have much time with it before the race. I really hope it works out for you.
Do you think there would be any harm in wearing both the IT band strap AND a regular compression knee sleeve? I have been wearing the regular sleeve around the house just for some support and it might be a mental thing but I feel more comfortable with it on. But I wasn't sure if it would mess with the function of the IT band strap. Any idea?

Do you think there would be any harm in wearing both the IT band strap AND a regular compression knee sleeve? I have been wearing the regular sleeve around the house just for some support and it might be a mental thing but I feel more comfortable with it on. But I wasn't sure if it would mess with the function of the IT band strap. Any idea?

Not sure that's really even feasible since the IT band strap is intended to be worn low just above the knee (to hold the IT band in place against the knee.) I would think the sleeve would get in the way and not allow you to put the strap against bare skin. If I had to choose one to wear and comfort was not an issue, I would probably go with the sleeve. I would think it would give overall better alignment. BUT, I am not a medical pro, so take my advice--and everyone else's with a grain of salt. Also, I had an IT strap once. it didn't really do much for me, but again, single data point.

Thank you for the advice! I am glad you were able to recover! I plan to go VERY slow... its tough because even though I am not a crazy fast runner, I am someone who always wants to push myself to the max. But I am so terrified of the pain coming back that I don't think I'll have any problem really slowing it down! Its hard that I can't practice between now and then.. I think rest is my best bet and not trying to do a test run or anything so I'll just have to see what happens. But I am encouraged by all of your stories... I will be the happiest person ever if I cross that finish line and put this stress behind me.
It really is maddening when you know that you must rest an injury, but feel that race pressure. I've had races where I let excitement and nerves get the better of me early on and I go too fast. That really diminishes my enjoyment of the race. Just let your body dictate the appropriate pace on race day and hopefully it will be good enough to cross that finish line. Best of luck.

If it truly is IT band pain, I would attempt it and see how it goes. I've run 3 halfs with pretty bad IT band pain and I've managed to finish all of them. I recommend KT tape or rock tape. I find rock tape stays on longer for me. The first time I got taped up at the KT tape booth at the race expo. After that I just watched youtube videos to apply it myself. I tried the IT strap as well and didn't have much luck with it honestly. But everyone is different. I think if you are willing to drop down to walking completely if needed that you'll be able to finish. Just know its gonna hurt while your doing it but that it can be done. Most of it is mental anyway. Best of luck to you!

I had IT Band issues leading up to Dopey. While it is too late for you right now- afterwards you might look into dry needling. (google it in your area) That really made a HUGE difference for me running Dopey- I ran pain free after 3 treatments. But it was inflamed afterwards and I needed a few extra treatments to help it heal overall. I could not have completed Dopey without the dry needling!
During the race you might try some BioFreeeze- at the aid stations. And Dr. Cool has a great knee wrap - at the expo.
My ITBand strap like others was just OK. The compression sleeve felt better- but I would save that for after your run.
Check out some yoga for ITBand- those stretches might help a bit too- the night before and after your run. Love this video!

IT Band issues are symptoms of weak core muscles and being quad dominant- you need to look into cross training to improve the base problem. (Me too!)
Take care of yourself and enjoy!

PS: You might want to look for another doc that provides more insight than "runners knee" . Having someone that understands running/sports medicine can make a huge difference and might have helped you more ahead of time.

I had IT Band issues leading up to Dopey. While it is too late for you right now- afterwards you might look into dry needling. (google it in your area) That really made a HUGE difference for me running Dopey- I ran pain free after 3 treatments. But it was inflamed afterwards and I needed a few extra treatments to help it heal overall. I could not have completed Dopey without the dry needling!
During the race you might try some BioFreeeze- at the aid stations. And Dr. Cool has a great knee wrap - at the expo.
My ITBand strap like others was just OK. The compression sleeve felt better- but I would save that for after your run.
Check out some yoga for ITBand- those stretches might help a bit too- the night before and after your run. Love this video!

IT Band issues are symptoms of weak core muscles and being quad dominant- you need to look into cross training to improve the base problem. (Me too!)
Take care of yourself and enjoy!

PS: You might want to look for another doc that provides more insight than "runners knee" . Having someone that understands running/sports medicine can make a huge difference and might have helped you more ahead of time.

Thank you everyone!! I finished the race! I started in corral C even though my partners were in H (they never submitted qualifying times)... I thought it would be best for me to start ahead and then they could catch up. I did my plan of 3 min run, 1 min walk and it worked beautifully for the first 9 miles. Getting to MK was definitely the peak!! My knee hurt but it was totally bearable. I was averaging about 2 mins slower per mile than I usually go but whatever.. I just wanted to finish! Didn’t stop for pics because I just wanted to get to the finish line before my knee got worse ha. Around mile 10 the really bad pain came to where I was limping. So I walked two miles... frustrating but again, just wanted to finish. I jogged the last mile in and then immediately limped over to get iced and wrapped haha!!!!

I am sooooooo happy I gave it a try and was able to enjoy most of the race and just experience it all. Thanks so much for the words of encouragement.. I should have known the Dis community would give me the best advice ha. My knee hurt the rest of my trip but didn’t ruin anything at all.. walked all over the parks and had so much fun with my family. Now I am trying to figure out how to recover as quick as I can so I can get back to my normal workouts. I will definitely lay off running for a few weeks though!!!

Thanks again!!!

Thank you everyone!! I finished the race! I started in corral C even though my partners were in H (they never submitted qualifying times)... I thought it would be best for me to start ahead and then they could catch up. I did my plan of 3 min run, 1 min walk and it worked beautifully for the first 9 miles. Getting to MK was definitely the peak!! My knee hurt but it was totally bearable. I was averaging about 2 mins slower per mile than I usually go but whatever.. I just wanted to finish! Didn’t stop for pics because I just wanted to get to the finish line before my knee got worse ha. Around mile 10 the really bad pain came to where I was limping. So I walked two miles... frustrating but again, just wanted to finish. I jogged the last mile in and then immediately limped over to get iced and wrapped haha!!!!

I am sooooooo happy I gave it a try and was able to enjoy most of the race and just experience it all. Thanks so much for the words of encouragement.. I should have known the Dis community would give me the best advice ha. My knee hurt the rest of my trip but didn’t ruin anything at all.. walked all over the parks and had so much fun with my family. Now I am trying to figure out how to recover as quick as I can so I can get back to my normal workouts. I will definitely lay off running for a few weeks though!!!

Thanks again!!!

Congratulations!

Thanks again!!!

Wahooo!!!! Awesome, congratulations and go you! This is SUCH an accomplishment.

I am sooooooo happy I gave it a try and was able to enjoy most of the race and just experience it all.
That's awesome. Congratulations! It's really remarkable what we can accomplish when we really put our minds to it. It's important to listen to your body, but finishing a race slowly still means you finished the race. There are people who never even sign up because they already believe they cannot do it.

While not injured, my first race had no character stops at all. I've been able to enjoy that aspect of every Disney race I've ran since then in part because of what I learned about myself and running from that first race.

I would attempt the race, and if you decide it’s too much let them pick you up. Also, lots of ice - 20 min on / 40 min off. I might also attempt some kind of icy/hot solution to your muscles on race day. Agree with going to the expo and seeing if anyone can help tape it. Sometimes the right amount of sports tape can work wonders.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!