Primeval Whirl

njchris

DIS Veteran
I just heard this ride getting trashed on the podcast. Well.. I like it! My friend I go with all the time likes it.. His family likes it. So there.

We laugh all the time when on it and always try to get to it when we visit.

Bottom line.. people ARE having fun on it.

I agree it's fun. Not for everybody, but for some, including me, it's fun.

But that doesn't make it right for a Disney park. It could be transplanted as is to a bunch of different parks and fairs around the country and it would fit in. That shouldn't be the case, and I think that's more what they were saying.

I think the opinion was that it seems wildly out of place in Animal Kingdom. (At least thats my opinion.)

Everything about Animal Kingdom is greatly themed and to come across cheesy carnival games and a ride better suited to a carnival atmosphere seems incongruous with the rest of the park.

I personally enjoy playing slot machines....doesnt mean I think they should drop any in Toon Town. :rotfl2:

Kevin

My whole family loves it! I do agree it is cheesey but, I think it is supposed to be. So much is serious at AK, it is nice to have something more fun and whimsical. My only gripe is that primeval whirl is the only good thing in that area.

I just heard this ride getting trashed on the podcast. Well.. I like it! My friend I go with all the time likes it.. His family likes it. So there.

We laugh all the time when on it and always try to get to it when we visit.

Bottom line.. people ARE having fun on it.

I believe they were talking about the ride in the context of the zagat guide and how it was described. The book is a waste of $ I know I bought it and totally agree. Its all mary sunshine about everything theres nothing negative and many of the descriptions are way off. Another example they gave was cosmic rays, if I read what they wrote and went there I would be disappointed as they make it out to be the best place ever.

As for the ride its ok but not what the book says to me.

Yes, I'm not a fan of Primeval Hurl and the way that it was misrepresented in the Zagat guide was criminal. It wasn't even close to being an unbiased view.

--Mr. DB

thats zagat book was so disappointing
I like to have as many of the books as I can
I ordered it online and was LESS than impressed it stinks
dont waste your $ save it for dole whips@!!

There's nothing really wrong with Primeval Whirl; it's just that when you plop what is essentially a Six Flags (or even Coney Island) RIDE down in what is one of Disney's best-THEMED parks, it's glaringly out of place.

I do get what the Imagineers are trying to do with that section of the park. Kind of a kitschy homage to the late-fifties, early-sixties dinosaur mania (I loved that Sinclair gasoline station logo). I think they might have forgotten that it was precisely that sort of amusement park that Walt was visiting with his daughter when he decided the world needed something better.

We love this ride too!! Me and DSis ride and laugh like crazy women and it makes us feel young again.

btw....there is always a long wait and we usually have to fastpass it (we travel in September/October) so it must be somewhat popular!!

We love Primeval Whirl! We always laugh like crazy on this ride. This is my 7 year old son's favorite ride. He loves how crazy it is. Also, it thankfully gives him something fun to ride while my older sons ride Everest. Something for everyone.

I thought Primevil Whirl was actually painful!! I rode it once, now I can say I've done it, but WOW! If I had read that review in Zagat's not knowing, I think it could be very misleading...jmho.

I thought Primevil Whirl was actually painful!! I rode it once, now I can say I've done it, but WOW! If I had read that review in Zagat's not knowing, I think it could be very misleading...jmho.

hence the reason it is known in my family as the Primeval Hurl!

--Mr. DB

Another fan of Primeval Whirl. We call it the "Bone Crack" ride. When DD was small she'd make us ride it (we secretly loved it):goodvibes And the whole time we'd moan and groan. She would laugh and laugh. Even at 12yo she still finds it hilarious. It's become sort of a Disney tradition.:love:

AK is our fav park (tied with MGM). I really love the cheesyness of that area... What can I say, maybe I'm just cheesy.:teeth:

I absolutely love this ride. It does knock you about, but you are laughing so hard you barely notice the pain:rotfl2: I probably won't return for a while to Animal Kingdom so ride it once for me!

What did Zagat say about this ride? We didn't ride it when we were there. . DH can't do rides that go "round and 'round.

Allright, folks. The big debate in our house is whether to do this ride, or not. I'm in the "not" book. DD7 says yes, but she gets easily carsick. I get very nauseaous if I spin too much, as in I can be on the Teacups without any extra spinning. Anything else I'm done for.

I heard the podcast, and after hearing the Zagat description I'm ready to put it on our "NOT" list.

So, opinions? I know that DS & DH can handle it okay, but I'm afraid that if DD goes on it and gets sick - or if I go on it and get sick - our day is shot.

What do you all say?

I am hoping to clear up some of my thoughts on this ride....

I dont think it's a bad ride. I have ridden it several times. It reminds me of the Tilt A Whirl and a Wild Mouse coaster, if you can imagine that. I dont ride it much anymore as I dont want back problems during my day in the park. (I also dont ride Tower of Terror anymore as it makes me nauseous. Who wants a sick stomach while out having a good time? I've ridden it and now I'm done...but thats just me....I still think TOT is an awesome attraction.)

I understand the idea behind the ride (Primeval Whirl) and that Imagineers have said "it took a lot of money to make it look this cheap". I just dont like the "country carnival" look of the area plunked down in what I think is a beautiful park with awesome themeing. Even more...I really dislike the carnival games of chance. I think they look cheap and tacky. I dont think this area adds anything to Animal Kingdom. Just an opinion....not fact.

As for the Zagat Guide....I picked the Primeval Whirl ride because the description is a bit over the top. I think the Zagat Guide is a waste of time and money. Some of their descriptions are laughable. There are much better guides out there and much better information available.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter