Priceline Tip

Pixie Power!

DIS Veteran
Im not sure if everybody already know this, but I will post it anyway.

Having 'played' on priceline a few times now, Ive found that if you put in a silly bid and then increase it continually 3 - 4 times by just £1, eventually they will offer you a guaranteed ticket price if you fill in a simple questionnaire. The questions are just how often you use the net etc, takes about 30 seconds to do.

So if you need to use them, try it. however every time you place a new bid you do have to change one of your details.

We are trying to go to Vegas for our first wedding anniversary, which is the 17th September, we know that only Virgin fly direct and then the most common airline used is US Airways which fly daily from Manchester to Vegas via Philadelphia. Virgin cost £634.60, US Airways £447.80. We have shopped around and this was the best deal we could get.

So this is what I did.

1st bid - £100, flying Friday 13th September (for 7 nights) – not accepted.
2nd bid - £101, flying Sunday 15th September – again not accepted.
3rd bid - £102, flying Monday 16th September – again not accepted.
4th bid - £103, flying Saturday 14th September – not accepted BUT we were offered flights at £231 plus airport taxes. Total approx £300!! & Saturday was the day we actually wanted to travel!!!

If you don’t want them you just cancel, as it’s an offer.

Have fun trying for great deals

Emma

Thanks for the tip Emma. You got a great deal. I have used Priceline many times for hotels but have not been successful with flights.
Tracy

Ive also booked for Discon via priceline and did the same thing. This time the price was LOWER then they said it would be. They said £250 inc tax Manchester to Orlando and it came back as £224 inc tax.

Emma

Great price Emma. Who are you flying with and what are your dates?
Tracy

Who are you flying with and what are your dates?

I fly out on the 2nd December and land home on the 10th but leave Orlando on the 9th. Im flying with US Airways via Philadelphia, which I dont mind as the time between plans is only 2 hours so by the time ive grabbed a drink and found where I need to go nect (with a little shopping in between;) ) I will be off again.

Emma

That's brilliant Emma. We've flown with US Airways (via Philadelphia) three times and we're using them again in August. They're a great airline. Our ticket prices have varied from £340 to £530 (for this August) so you've definitely got a bargain.
Last night I tried to get some flights for New York in December for me and my DS. It happened exactly as you told it. I put in a low bid and they came back with an a guaranteed price of £270 inc tax. It was a fairly good price but I then remembered the £10 bonus and tried again using this. They then upped the price accordingly, the bonus hadn't reduced it at all. I've decided to wait a little while and have another go. If I get a slightly lower offer I'll probably go with it. I noticed that somebody had a successful bid for New York in August at £110 what a bargain. I don't know how long they've been offering these guaranteed prices. In the past I have tried several times making very reasonable bids and I've been rejected and not had a counteroffer or a guaranteed ticket price. I hope they continue with it. I have booked several hotels with them and have always been more than happy with the results. Thanks again
Tracy

Tracy, Im glad to hear that youve been on US Airway before and think that they are ok, as ive never flown with them before.

What did you get up to at the airport in Philadelipia whilst you were wiating for your conntecting flight?

Also what was the food on the plane like?

Thanks

Emma

Emma
Philadelphia is a great airport. Loads of shops to keep you occupied. We flew US Airways at Easter and on the way back we had time for a meal at TGI's before getting the connection. On your outbound flight you will clear immigration at Philadelphia which is quite time consuming so you may not have much time, of course it's great when you arrive at Orlando because you just collect your bags and go. On the way back you should have time for a look around and a meal. Like I said plenty of shops and eating places. You'll have a great time. Here's a link to the airport http://www.phl.org/ The inflight entertainment on US Airways is great. You each have your own personal tv/ video. It's better than Virgin's system. The food was fairly good aswell and they keep you well supplied with drinks and snacks. Here's another link http://usairways.com/
Tracy

Tracy I would just like to say a BIG thankyou for posting the info about USAirways as I think we have found a solution to our next flight in March 2003!

I was looking for an airline with more legroom for DH and I (we are both tall) and also seat back TVs for the children, and US Airways seem to have it all as they even fly from Manchester -we are only 40 mins from the airport.

I have previously flown with Virgin but as they have withdrawn subtitled videos for the deaf, I see no reason to stick with them any longer, if we can get more legroom AND the seat back TVs for the children we might as well go from Manchester, save having to fly from Gatwick, as we usually go in the Winter when Virgin don't from from Manchester.

So, thanks again for the info, it's been a big help! :D

BTW, can you prebook meals with then, as I am a veggie.

Mazzy
I'm glad I helped:) I am also a vegetarian and have pre-booked my meals each time but I have always found that they offer a vegetarian alternative on the trolley also. Last time I travelled the meal they gave me was a tofu dish and it was foul. I told the air hostess and she happily replaced it with the pasta dish from the trolley. good luck
Tracy

Just adding another vote for US Airways. We travelled with them in Feb and they were great. The seatbact videos, as Tracey said, are great, not only do you get a choice of film, tv etc but you have an individual remote control so you can stop/start/pause/rewind when you like - no more waiting for the next loop to start. The food was also good and they were fantastic with my mother who is disabled.

I know i shoudlnt really ask this question but hey.... do they give you free drinks ....like a beer maybe??

Thanks

Emma

Yes Emma:D
I had a wine before my meal and one with my meal. They have a large range of complimentary drinks both alcoholic and non-alcoholic.
Tracy

Hi Emma

seems to be a good idea, but could you post a link of priceline please because i cant seem to get into site

thanx Audrey
xxxxxxxxxxxx:Pinkbounc :bounce:

Thanks Sue for your comments, it sounds better and better! I'm now regretting booking with Virgin for December as we are having to travel to Gatwick the day before, but nothing I can do about it now, but certainly looking forward to March 2004 and having more legroom and still having seatback TVs for the little 'uns!

So another question, to Sue and Tracy, if you don't mind! I'm assuming that on the way home, when you stop in Philly, your bags go straight through do they? Or do you have to pick them up and check in again? And what are the planes like that you fly on from Philly to Orlando? Do they have lots of legroom as well?

You're right about the bags Mazzy. After you've checked your bags in at Orlando Airport you won't see them until you get to the UK. The seats on the internal flights do not have as much legroom as the transatlantic seats but they are perfectly comfortable for the couple of hours journey.
I've always been more than happy with US Airways. I'll let you know how I get on again in August.
Tracy

Sorry I've not replied to this sooner but I've just come back from a few days in London.
No, US Airways don't give out goodie bags on the plane. They are however comparable to Virgin when it comes to refreshments.
Another point I never mentioned is the seating configuration. I much prefer the seating on the US Airways planes as I only travel with my son and the seating configuration on the transatlantic leg is 2-4-2. this means we have both an aisle and a window seat and lots of legroom too. Obviously, the seatback videos are a big plus aswell. I think you've been really lucky to get this carrier through Priceline. I hope you'll be as lucky as we've been when we've flown with them.:) :) :)
Tracy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter