Prepaid gratuities vs. service

pacevette

Earning My Ears
We just returned from a 4 day Bahama cruise on the Enchantment of the Seas and I did have a few concerns. This is our 5th cruise but first cruise with pre paid gratuities. Has anyone else thought the dining room service has gone down hill? We certainly did. Also, does anyone else think the prepaid gratuities has any influence on the services through out the ship? It has been 2 years since our last sailing and this was not the RCCL I remember.

We have cruised since the gratuity change. Being curious, we watched for changes in service. Perhaps we were just lucky and honestly saw none.

After hearing the reason for the change, I have no problem. I had no idea so many were skipping out without paying the customary gratuities. What a horrible thing to do to people who have worked so hard. After all, it wasn't a heart-stopping amount. We paid for the cruise, after all.

Oops! Did you see that!

Out popped my soapbox and I was on my way toward a big rant.

Ok all--happy day.

11 days till the Olympics.

went on Liberty 4 days over Christmas. I wondered also. I found outstanding service in all areas of the ship, esp. cabin steward. We ate in main dining room all nights--different waiters, all very good.

We prepaid our gratuities, because we wanted to have a flexible dining schedule. We had the same servers every day, and Jose and Arnet were wonderful! We were on Independence of the Seas last week!

With pre paid gratuities, if you are unhappy with the service, you can go to guest service and reduce or remove it. However, if you get exceptional service, you can always tip extra. I always get traditional dinning (same table, same staff). I let the serving staff know that the cash is in addition to the prepaid gratuity. I do the same with the cabin steward.

With pre paid gratuities, if you are unhappy with the service, you can go to guest service and reduce or remove it. However, if you get exceptional service, you can always tip extra. I always get traditional dinning (same table, same staff). I let the serving staff know that the cash is in addition to the prepaid gratuity. I do the same with the cabin steward.
Do you mind sharing what you tip on top of pre-paid gratuities?

. . . This is our 5th cruise but first cruise with pre paid gratuities. Has anyone else thought the dining room service has gone down hill? We certainly did.
Are you taking about prepaid gratuities or auto gratuities?

The only time we pre pay gratuities is when we want My Time Dining -- and each time we've had excellent service.

Woody

we just came back from a 4 night cruise and our last cruise was 16yrs ago. I thought the service has gone completely down hill except at the main dining room for dinner. The buffets were crazy you could be juggling plates and glasses and not one server would help or offer to carry anything. My son asked a waitress for a spoon and she told him to go find one :crazy2: A few bartenders were rude. We have been to a bunch of all inclusive and the service was much better. I never would have tipped as much as they took out with that service

Are you taking about prepaid gratuities or auto gratuities?

The only time we pre pay gratuities is when we want My Time Dining -- and each time we've had excellent service.

Woody

Good point.

Though with My FAMILY Time, we didn't prepay, either. It's a weird little difference between My Time and My Family Time.

we just came back from a 4 night cruise and our last cruise was 16yrs ago. I thought the service has gone completely down hill except at the main dining room for dinner. The buffets were crazy you could be juggling plates and glasses and not one server would help or offer to carry anything. My son asked a waitress for a spoon and she told him to go find one :crazy2: A few bartenders were rude. We have been to a bunch of all inclusive and the service was much better. I never would have tipped as much as they took out with that service

That's weird! I mean, we were never juggling plates and whatnot at Windjammer so that wasn't an issue, but each time we asked a server in Windjammer for something they were happy to help out.

Good point.

Though with My FAMILY Time, we didn't prepay, either. It's a weird little difference between My Time and My Family Time.

That's weird! I mean, we were never juggling plates and whatnot at Windjammer so that wasn't an issue, but each time we asked a server in Windjammer for something they were happy to help out.

With 4 kids you are always juggling something :rotfl2:
They do not serve coffee either, one day they did ask if we wanted to juice. I was shocked at the poor service

With 4 kids you are always juggling something :rotfl2:
They do not serve coffee either, one day they did ask if we wanted to juice. I was shocked at the poor service

It's just such an opposite experience than ours. Coffee, creamers, sugar, silverware, heck, WATER...anything was offered up. OJ, too especially once they remembered we had the Replenish package. Somehow we managed to sit in the same guy's section for 3 or 4 mornings in Windjammer.

Now...the servers at the Dreamworks character "meal", that was different. But I'd never seen those guys before or again!

we always pre paid even before it became mandatory for MTD( we used to always get late seating) never had a decline in any service at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter