Predicted DVC booking patterns - Studios, 1-BD & 2-BD charts (September 2019 2-BD added!)

CarolynFH

DIS Veteran
Thank you Pete and Bing! Very helpful! However....

2019 Update for 2-bedrooms: Boardwalk is the only full resort that has ZERO dedicated two bedrooms - therefore the 2-bedrooms are all lock-offs and for lock-offs, just use the studio charts.
Do you think that because there are also dedicated studios, and the dedicated are reserved first by the system before the lock-offs, 2-BR availability might be a tiny bit better than studio availability? (Hoping to get two standard view 2-BR for a big family trip in March 2021, so I need "cooperation" from the 2021 points charts and pixie dust for availability!)

Bing Showei

DIS Veteran

Do you think that because there are also dedicated studios, and the dedicated are reserved first by the system before the lock-offs, 2-BR availability might be a tiny bit better than studio availability? (Hoping to get two standard view 2-BR for a big family trip in March 2021, so I need "cooperation" from the 2021 points charts and pixie dust for availability!)
We are observing availability on a category level, not on a unit level (as we have no way to measure that given that Disney does not differentiate availability between the configuration types - dedicated vs. lockoff studios). So in that way, it's binary. There is either a studio available to book on a day or it's not. We don't assign a numerical value to the percentage of units available, only that there is at least one on a given day.

It's likely safe to assume that dedicated studios are assigned first. If that were not the case, which wouldn't make sense, 2BR would actually have worse availability than studios. So in that way, studio availability presents the best case scenario for 2BRs, as you can assume if a studio exists, it's a lockoff, and as such, a 2BR also exists to book.

In any given two-week period, we will observe the number of days that have at least one unit type available and determine whether that two-week period is open (all days available), mostly (8-13 days available), spotty (3-7 days available), or none(<3 days available).

• skier_pete

DIsney-holics Anon

No - the reason we don't track lock-offs is that if you look at the studio patterns and the lock-off 2-bedroom patterns they track exactly the same. I agree with @Bing Showei that they likely assign all the dedicated studios first, but they also clearly do not hold any lock-offs as 2-bedrooms. So for Boardwalk - you better expect that the studio pattern is a case of what you see is what you get.

CarolynFH

DIS Veteran
    We are observing availability on a category level, not on a unit level (as we have no way to measure that given that Disney does not differentiate availability between the configuration types - dedicated vs. lockoff studios). So in that way, it's binary. There is either a studio available to book on a day or it's not. We don't assign a numerical value to the percentage of units available, only that there is at least one on a given day.

It's likely safe to assume that dedicated studios are assigned first. If that were not the case, which wouldn't make sense, 2BR would actually have worse availability than studios. So in that way, studio availability presents the best case scenario for 2BRs, as you can assume if a studio exists, it's a lockoff, and as such, a 2BR also exists to book.

In any given two-week period, we will observe the number of days that have at least one unit type available and determine whether that two-week period is open (all days available), mostly (8-13 days available), spotty (3-7 days available), or none(<3 days available).
    No - the reason we don't track lock-offs is that if you look at the studio patterns and the lock-off 2-bedroom patterns they track exactly the same. I agree with @Bing Showei that they likely assign all the dedicated studios first, but they also clearly do not hold any lock-offs as 2-bedrooms. So for Boardwalk - you better expect that the studio pattern is a case of what you see is what you get.
    Thank you both for your work on this project - it's invaluable! It also inspires hope, especially when planning reservations that will require every bit of my 11-month booking advantage!

TheMick424

Mouseketeer
    Thank you so much, @skier_pete and @Bing Showei! So helpful.

I think this post is very astute:
    2019 Update for 2-bedrooms: Interestingly, SSR charts are the ONLY charts that show a significantly higher availability of 2-bedroom dedicated units than 1-bedroom units, though both are by far the most available rooms in all of DVC. It makes me think more that DVC doesn't as much have a studio problem as it has a SSR problem. A massive resort that people only use for last resort. This is too bad as it hurts all the owners (except SSR owners of course). Anyways, for lock-offs, use the studio charts.

Last edited:

emchen

Let's explore!
    <snip>It makes me think more that DVC doesn't as much have a studio problem as it has a SSR problem. A massive resort that people only use for last resort. This is too bad as it hurts all the owners (except SSR owners of course).<snip>
    You know what might go a long way to mitigate or alleviate that problem? ...putting it on the Skyliner Network!

Oh yeah, love the 2-BR data update @Bing Showei and @skier_pete! Keep up the great work and analyses!

Last edited:

kboo

DIS Veteran
    Thank you guys! (@Bing Showei and @skier_pete)

This is super helpful and timely as we are looking at doing our first big 2-family extravaganza in a 2-br next summer. I'll be booking at 11mo later this week! :O

Thank you so much for sharing your work @skier_pete and @Bing Showei !

Looks like I'd better add a small AKV if we want to reliably book there...
    Step away from the resale sites ... step away ...

heapmaster

Mouseketeer
    I have a question, I assume you are just using the RAT tool in your browser to see which days are available (in blue) in a specific resort/room/category/type right?

Last edited:

SG131

DIS Veteran
    @skier_pete do you know much about CCV availability for 2 bedroom units? I know studios are impossible, but I’m looking to add on some points for extended family trips and I do love wilderness lodge.

skier_pete

DIsney-holics Anon
    @skier_pete do you know much about CCV availability for 2 bedroom units? I know studios are impossible, but I’m looking to add on some points for extended family trips and I do love wilderness lodge.
    No.Unfortunately the charts can't be prepped until a resort is sold out. We are starting on CCV now but to early to tell much.

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates

DIS INSTAGRAM

Subscribe to the DVCstore.com
    mailing list!

BUY DVC

SELL DVC

DVC POINT CHARTS

DIS PODCASTS