PREACH, Jackie!!!!!

Thanks for your kind words! I was a little bit afraid that I would be put through the wringer for saying what I did about food being alright and me not caring, but I'm relieved that some of you guys feel my pain. I remember back in the day not giving one flip about something being piping hot or somewhat cooled off at a restaurant because the kids were having so much fun that it didn't even matter. I love those days! Now that they're older, they're far more picky about their food.

Jackie you rock! You hit the nail on the head about what you expect at character dining! It felt so so good to hear someone big up 1900 Park Fare which is my family's favourite place. It is by far the best place for us as the interactions are so memorable. SO memorable. I went there as a child and it is my first memory at Disney and even though the characters have changed (it used to be Chip & Dale, Mickey, Minnie and Pluto) it still is MAGIC. It was the first Disney experience my son had and I still have tears in my eyes when I remember his face when he realised the Cinderella mice from the movie.. were 'real.' I will treasure that memory and not having to cook or wash-up FOREVER!

I can understand Pete’s point too however...why can’t their be good food and great character interaction why does one have to be sacrificed especially for the price point your paying...

In my personal opinion 1900 Park Fare, Crystal Palace, Ohana's and Tusker House ARE amazing breakfasts. I adore my 1900 Park Fare breakfasts and seasonal waffles. I think Crystal Palace and 1900 Park Fare do very good dinner buffets when you look at what is available. There is a great selection of food cooked well and pretty in keeping with the location's theming. I don't see how they could be improved without expanding the buffet to double size to make way for new cuisine.

The one that REALLY did shock me was Cinderella's Royal Table. Now that was awful and I feel like I payed the price JUST for my son to have the character experience. One time we visited for breakfast and I didn't eat as the food was so bad! I have never dined at Hollywood and Slime or Chef Mickeys, those places seem to be much more problematic when I read reviews.

I guess I just wanted to say, they arent all bad!! Some do deliver!!

Well I don't think anyone is a proponent of bad food, let's be serious. But, I think people weigh things differently, I think the point is Jackie's top 5 would be different then Pete's top 5 because she has different priorities. Pete isn't wrong, I'm not saying that, but what Jackie is saying is, I just don't care or rather, I care but it's maybe 10% (or whatever) of the experience.

They are both completely, 100% right.

I'd love to see them review Trattoria al Forno together and give their takes on it. I could see them rate it (and others) completely differently.

Last edited:

The comment has been made multiple times that one thing lacking in the DIS restaurant reviews is the family perspective. I think this is just another example of that. When 3 or 4 grown single men review a character meal, it's entirely different than if 2 parents with their 2 children did that same review. They are looking for different things.

The same could be said for all Disney dining.

Yes! This comment hits it on the head. Its not even a character meal thing. If you as a company can produce Boma, Cali Grill, Jungle Skipper, Liberty Tree Tavern... how can you also be responsible for the immense flops. They need to do a dining review and even if it means losing a few places makes sure its good food for all budgets.

Yes! This comment hits it on the head. Its not even a character meal thing. If you as a company can produce Boma, Cali Grill, Jungle Skipper, Liberty Tree Tavern... how can you also be responsible for the immense flops. They need to do a dining review and even if it means losing a few places makes sure its good food for all budgets.
I will say though that Disney doesn’t operate every restaurant on property. So some of the bad ones are not their fault. I think Disney could demand more of those third party venues sometimes.

I will say though that Disney doesn’t operate every restaurant on property. So some of the bad ones are not their fault. I think Disney could demand more of those third party venues sometimes.

Personally, (here we go with me pretending I’m a CEO) I would do monthly or quarterly checks sort of like quality control. Even if they are third party run they do all represent Disney. I agree with you 100%,feel like with youtube, forums, instagram there is so much feedback out there it must be a concious decision not to listen. Especially with some locations.

Back to character meals.. I have had more hits than misses!! Big fan here I know I will most likely always eat well. But generally speaking I agree with what Jackie says. I am just thrilled to go on holiday and be taken care of!

The comment has been made multiple times that one thing lacking in the DIS restaurant reviews is the family perspective. I think this is just another example of that. When 3 or 4 grown single men review a character meal, it's entirely different than if 2 parents with their 2 children did that same review. They are looking for different things.

YES! Hats off to Pete for acknowledging what many of us have been asking for. I realize it's not logistically possible to have Jackie or any of the other moms on every show, but I for one appreciate the effort. It was great to hear more from someone I can better identify with when planning our vacation, especially on a topic that can vary greatly depending on your travel party. Thank you!

YES! Hats off to Pete for acknowledging what many of us have been asking for. I realize it's not logistically possible to have Jackie or any of the other moms on every show, but I for one appreciate the effort. It was great to hear more from someone I can better identify with when planning our vacation, especially on a topic that can vary greatly depending on your travel party. Thank you!

I was going to Thank the team for acknowledging and being open to feedback received.

I can understand Pete’s point too however...why can’t their be good food and great character interaction why does one have to be sacrificed especially for the price point your paying...

I agree. The Great Wolf lodge in Garden Grove has a character buffet that has the most amazing food, and it's like $20/person. They have a chef there who really cares about food and it shows. Disney should be embarrassed by some of the crap food they pass off for the prices they charge at those buffets.

But, I also agree with Jackie. I'm not cooking or cleaning up, and that's all I need sometimes. It was great to finally hear the mom's perspective on dining at Disney.

Food is secondary at character meals....

Sorry, disagree! If the food is not enjoyed, forget the characters!! You're correct, the 'kids' do not care what is 'shoved into their mouths', as they are excited. But, the 'responsible' ones in this equation are the parents, and they're the ones that foot the bill, the kids don't know how much this is setting them (mom & dad) back - and neither should they - not their responsibility.

By the way, kids get just as excited seeing the characters at meet & greets, or the parades (our experiences).

I also wanted to thank the team for listening to feedback - great show!

I (and my young daughter) love character meals. For me, I have to eat anyway, and I might as well save some time in line and see some characters too - because let's face it, sometimes lines for characters can get long/closed/etc. I always think the food at character meals are great EXCEPT Hollywood & Vine. That food was gross, and I'm really not that picky. I wouldn't go back there.

Honestly, I've had more mediocre meals at non-character meals in Disney than at character meals.

Sorry, disagree! If the food is not enjoyed, forget the characters!! You're correct, the 'kids' do not care what is 'shoved into their mouths', as they are excited. But, the 'responsible' ones in this equation are the parents, and they're the ones that foot the bill, the kids don't know how much this is setting them (mom & dad) back - and neither should they - not their responsibility.

By the way, kids get just as excited seeing the characters at meet & greets, or the parades (our experiences).
Agree to disagree my friend.... the food just doesnt matter at character meals even for the adults in our family....you want a five star meal go to california grill. 1900 Park Fare was about the atmosphere for us

Thats why I always defend Chef Mickeys with a passion..it was my daughters first character meal..(personally I love the food there too btw).... do ya think she remembers what she even ate? Heck no lol but boy she remembers Minnie and Mickey coming up to her...

I agree to some extent, but that is how I view ALL of the dining at DisneyWorld. I actually remember the (Golden Corral level) food from Chef Mickey dinner...my 12 year old son does not remember eating there when he was 3.
The thing is...why would I eat at Chef Mickey if I can go to Tusker House? Or if I can pay about the same to eat at California Grill and then use a FP+ to go to the Character meet at Epcot and meet all the characters there?

Agree to disagree my friend.... the food just doesnt matter at character meals even for the adults in our family....you want a five star meal go to california grill. 1900 Park Fare was about the atmosphere for us
There's no arguing with that. If you don't care what you're eating, that's fine. As Pete said on the show, he doesn't fault the guests at all. He faults Disney for doing it. There's no excuse for someone like you coming out of a $100 breakfast saying, "The food was lousy but my kids liked seeing the characters." Even if you weren't the least bit disappointed, there's just no reason for that to be happening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!