PREACH, Jackie!!!!!

TCups4Me

DIS Article Contributor
I found myself throwing my hands in the air with a giant, “Amen!” during the latest Dining Show about character meals. Someone else cooks, cleans, and entertains the kids. Food not so great? I don’t care. The kids are going to like it and this is their vacation too.

Thanks Jackie for giving us moms a shout out!

I finally booked a Disney cruise for my family because I CAN’T cook and I don’t even need to pack breakfast bars or snacks because there is room service! And someone else will pull out the couch AND put it away every day. Sometimes vacations still aren’t momcations.

Thats why I always defend Chef Mickeys with a passion..it was my daughters first character meal..(personally I love the food there too btw).... do ya think she remembers what she even ate? Heck no lol but boy she remembers Minnie and Mickey coming up to her...

I never understood that argument. As far as I'm concerned food is the primary focus at any meal I do and that includes character meals. Tusker House does great food and has characters so it is possible. There are a few character meals I've done that I would not take my kid to even if it was the only one available. I'm not paying that much money for mediocre food.

I definitely see the side that character meals are largely about the experience kids get ... but at the same time they are sold as a “character meal” not a “character meet” and I do also see where Pete is coming from where you shouldn’t have to choose between great character experience for the kids and good food. Tusker House and Garden Grill show you can have both. I am not saying it needs to be Victoria and Albert level food but should be decent and hot and fresh for what you are paying

One reason we more often do character breakfasts va other meals - cheaper and harder to mess up the food (the cheesy potatoes at Akershus are wonderful!)

For years, we did lunch at Crystal Palace every trip because we are Pooh fans but also really liked the food there. We only stopped going after my wife saw the bill one time and realized how ridiculously expensive it was, but that's a separate issue. My point is it was a character meal with great food. The two should not be mutually exclusive.

Ok guys I def see your point but for the most part your kid will care less what they are shoving in their mouth during the meal. Their head will be going back and forth trying to spot when the next character will be walking up to the table.... me and my daughter just went to 1900 Park Fare and my daughters interaction with Alice is something I will never forget. The food was ok I guess.... but dang who cares if the bacon isnt crispy enough or the eggs are a little bland.... Mary Poppins AND Alice??? Sign me up baby..... just my opinion guys I def respect your side too

Ok guys I def see your point but for the most part your kid will care less what they are shoving in their mouth during the meal. Their head will be going back and forth trying to spot when the next character will be walking up to the table.... me and my daughter just went to 1900 Park Fare and my daughters interaction with Alice is something I will never forget. The food was ok I guess.... but dang who cares if the bacon isnt crispy enough or the eggs are a little bland.... Mary Poppins AND Alice??? Sign me up baby..... just my opinion guys I def respect your side too
Sure, but you could have just waited in line for a few minutes at Epcot and met Mary Poppins for free. And I believe Alice can be found either in Epcot or MK also.

Breakfast for 2 adults and 1 child at 1900 Park Fare is about $90 plus tax and tip, so well over $100 - for breakfast. Is it really too much to ask for crisp bacon and tasty eggs for that price?

Sure, but you could have just waited in line for a few minutes at Epcot and met Mary Poppins for free. And I believe Alice can be found either in Epcot or MK also.

Breakfast for 2 adults and 1 child at 1900 Park Fare is about $90 plus tax and tip, so well over $100 - for breakfast. Is it really too much to ask for crisp bacon and tasty eggs for that price?
Lol ok Steve ya got me there

I wonder how much the Dining Plan has aggravated the issue. It occurred to me after my last post that a lot of guests aren't actually paying $100 for that breakfast. They're just using pre-paid credits that they really don't assign a value to in their minds. In fact, for some, they think of it as "free" even though it is far from it. But when you go into it with no direct out of pocket commitment, your expectations may be lower. The person shelling out $100 is going to view it with a much more critical eye.

Dolewhips on me in nov Steve lol
I'll take that deal.

I wonder how much the Dining Plan has aggravated the issue. It occurred to me after my last post that a lot of guests aren't actually paying $100 for that breakfast. They're just using pre-paid credits that they really don't assign a value to in their minds. In fact, for some, they think of it as "free" even though it is far from it. But when you go into it with no direct out of pocket commitment, your expectations may be lower. The person shelling out $100 is going to view it with a much more critical eye.

I'll take that deal.
I figured you would........ just dont show up at the Poly with 40 friends lol

I found myself throwing my hands in the air with a giant, “Amen!” during the latest Dining Show about character meals. Someone else cooks, cleans, and entertains the kids. Food not so great? I don’t care. The kids are going to like it and this is their vacation too.

Thanks Jackie for giving us moms a shout out!

I finally booked a Disney cruise for my family because I CAN’T cook and I don’t even need to pack breakfast bars or snacks because there is room service! And someone else will pull out the couch AND put it away every day. Sometimes vacations still aren’t momcations.
Thanks for your kind words! I was a little bit afraid that I would be put through the wringer for saying what I did about food being alright and me not caring, but I'm relieved that some of you guys feel my pain. I remember back in the day not giving one flip about something being piping hot or somewhat cooled off at a restaurant because the kids were having so much fun that it didn't even matter. I love those days! Now that they're older, they're far more picky about their food.

Jackie - I’m watching this episode and immediately had to jump on the boards to say THANK YOU! We have to scour the kids menu to make sure there’s something my son will eat, it’s not about me!

Hollywood & Vine is the only place you can meet certain a Disney Junior characters (Vamperina). Same with Crystal Palace (Eeyore & Piglet). If your kids love these characters, yes you will pay.

Perfect example, my son loves Paw Patrol. Nowhere that I know of to meet them. They had a touring show, and tickets for the show + meet and greet were $129 each. EACH! Yes, I will pay $39 per person to eat this slightly warm waffle and not so crispy bacon.

Thanks for your kind words! I was a little bit afraid that I would be put through the wringer for saying what I did about food being alright and me not caring, but I'm relieved that some of you guys feel my pain. I remember back in the day not giving one flip about something being piping hot or somewhat cooled off at a restaurant because the kids were having so much fun that it didn't even matter. I love those days! Now that they're older, they're far more picky about their food.

I totally get that - and at the end of our vacation I am sure I will feel the same ... if my kids had a blast and talk about the meal as one of the highlights of their trip, then I too won’t give a flip if the food wasn’t great or piping hot or anything ....

... but at the same time I think it is fair to say that Disney can do better - that we can get great character interactions AND good (and hot and fresh) food

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter