Pre-Trip Report(16) - Strengths/Weaknesses BWV

DVC_Dreamer

If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remembe
Pre-Trip Report - 16 days to go before our split stay at BLT and BWV in a two bedroom suite.

This will be our first stay at BWV. :banana:

I love the Boardwalk area. I love the theme, restaurants and proximity to two parks. Every Christmas, I buy my DW the "The Unofficial Guide - Walt Disney World" I highly recommend this reference and it's required reading for all newbies. She reads it cover to cover every year.

I was checking out reviews for hotels. Interesting how all the DVC resorts get 4 1/2 stars. If they don't deserve 5 stars, I'm not sure why. :confused:
The guide lists Strengths/Weaknesses. If you've been reading my pre-trip report, you know I love lists. :love:

The strengths are no surprise like the aforementioned theme and proximity of restaurants and parks.
The weaknesses I found interesting.

- No restaurants within walking distance suitable for children - No concern of mine because our party is 16+. What's wrong with ESPN and Beaches n' Cream for children? EPCOT's not that long a walk either. :)

- No restaurants in hotel - Again, no worries from me. There's no restaurant in BLT either and I didn't starve to death. Two of my favorite casual restaurants are ESPN and Beaches n' Cream. Sports and Ice Cream are important to me. :)

- Limited children's activities and no character meals - We still like an occasional character meal but it's ok if we have to "travel" for one. No biggie.

- No transportation to EPCOT main entrance - The only dealeo with this one is that I wonder if we can win the race to Soarin' from the International Gateway entrance at rope drop? We will also miss fab five park opening which I enjoy. Although, I believe we may see opening on our first Sunday because we'll be coming from BLT on monorail.

There is a guest comment that the bus transportation can be slow from this resort. Of course, this issue is cut in half considering we'll walk to two of the parks.

- Distant guest self-parking - Again, no car rental this trip so not an issue.

The weaknesses don't worry me a bit. :cool1:

First, I'm hoping for friendly staff with an enthusiastic "Welcome Home". Second, I'm hoping for a good view as we have a Preferred two bedroom.

Love to hear your love of this resort !!! Please let me know how wonderful it is.

Great resort, you'll enjoy it. Our biggest problem with BLT on our last trip was that it wasn't BWV.

You will lose one bathroom from BLT to BWV, so be prepared for that. As you said, the weaknesses don't bother us much, either.

While you may "lose the race" to Soarin', the IG entry is a much less stressful experience, with much shorter lines overall.

The bus transportation, to the parks you do need to use it for, is dreadful. The BW is always the first pickup, so you don't have to worry about a seat, but depending on the time of year, you'll likely also have to pick up at the swan and the dolphin (slowing things down), and then drop off at the Swan, Dolphin, YC, BC, and THEN BWV. Painfully slow. But depending on your villa location, it may be best to get off at the Swan/Dolphin (whichever is first) and walk from there.

Here's a hidden gem for you: Seashore Sweets has the same Edy's ice cream as Beaches & Cream, so you don't have to go across for a good snack. When we went, they were VERY heavy handed with the hand scooped ice creams. We would get a double scoop each (you can mix and match flavors) and take half "home" to the villa and put in the freezer for the next day.

Enjoy!

Yay, so glad to read another set of PTRs from DVC Dreamer!

I just came back from BWV - a standard view 1 bedroom - and I absolutely loved it! This was my first time there and my first time staying at a resort within walking distance of a park - I'm hooked!

Funny how those negatives make everything seem so far away! My biggest problem was that I didn't get to eat everywhere on the Boardwalk - I could have stayed a couple of weeks longer and still not tried everything. But isn't that always the case on a WDW vacation?

What's up with that 4 and a half star rating? Go figure!

I know you'll have a wonderful time!

Great resort, you'll enjoy it. Our biggest problem with BLT on our last trip was that it wasn't BWV.

You will lose one bathroom from BLT to BWV, so be prepared for that. As you said, the weaknesses don't bother us much, either.

While you may "lose the race" to Soarin', the IG entry is a much less stressful experience, with much shorter lines overall.

The bus transportation, to the parks you do need to use it for, is dreadful. The BW is always the first pickup, so you don't have to worry about a seat, but depending on the time of year, you'll likely also have to pick up at the swan and the dolphin (slowing things down), and then drop off at the Swan, Dolphin, YC, BC, and THEN BWV. Painfully slow. But depending on your villa location, it may be best to get off at the Swan/Dolphin (whichever is first) and walk from there.

Here's a hidden gem for you: Seashore Sweets has the same Edy's ice cream as Beaches & Cream, so you don't have to go across for a good snack. When we went, they were VERY heavy handed with the hand scooped ice creams. We would get a double scoop each (you can mix and match flavors) and take half "home" to the villa and put in the freezer for the next day.

Enjoy!

I hope my DW and DD agree that BWV can compete with BLT. They're giving me some kidding because I was the major cheerleader for a split stay.

Glad you mentioned the bathroom situation because I was thinking about that. The three bathrooms at BLT was a nice surprise last year and we had 2 less people. This year my gang will be 6 ladies and 2 dudes. That's a lot of showers to make before rope drop. :)

I'm thinking we will do MK heavy our first three days and won't need to take bus there. We could walk and do monorail. AK is unavoidable but I bet we only do one day there. We have a 2pm Sanaa reservation at AKL.

Yum. Me like the Seashore Sweets idea. I don't remember that shop. On tired evenings, that could come in handy.

Thanks for all the great tips!!! :woohoo:

Yay, so glad to read another set of PTRs from DVC Dreamer!

I just came back from BWV - a standard view 1 bedroom - and I absolutely loved it! This was my first time there and my first time staying at a resort within walking distance of a park - I'm hooked!

Funny how those negatives make everything seem so far away! My biggest problem was that I didn't get to eat everywhere on the Boardwalk - I could have stayed a couple of weeks longer and still not tried everything. But isn't that always the case on a WDW vacation?

What's up with that 4 and a half star rating? Go figure!

I know you'll have a wonderful time!

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm having fun thinking, writing and interacting with the great fans on this site. :banana:

I know the feeling of being "hooked". :)
I've described my progression from Downtown Disney hotels to DVC.
A co-worker told me his favorite restaurants are California Grill and Flying Fish. A little disappointed that we'll not try these on this trip. Food will be our biggest expense and we only have 4 ADR's. :)

I looked up the "Unofficial" explanation for Star Rating. 5 stars = Tasteful and luxurious by any standard and 4 stars = What you'd expect at a Hyatt Regency or Marriott. Location doesn't seem to enter into the equation which is one of my favorite aspects of both BLT and BWV.

Glad you had a great time!

I love the Boardwalk area. :love:
My current license plate reads: WDW BWV

The evening entertainment on the Boardwalk is great!! Don't forget to check out a few of the nighttime shows before heading for your ice cream or your evening cocktail. The Bellvue Lounge on the Inn side of the resort is nice along with the Brew Club out on the Boardwalk.

Our family list goes: sports, beer, ice cream. :)

Kelly

I love the Boardwalk area. :love:
My current license plate reads: WDW BWV

The evening entertainment on the Boardwalk is great!! Don't forget to check out a few of the nighttime shows before heading for your ice cream or your evening cocktail. The Bellvue Lounge on the Inn side of the resort is nice along with the Brew Club out on the Boardwalk.

Our family list goes: sports, beer, ice cream. :)

Kelly

I'm really looking forward to the Boardwalk entertainment. I've been to the Lotusphere conference seven times and a company conference once but I've never seen the Boardwalk entertainment.
Love your license plate !!! :banana:
Disney World nuts are all around us if you look for them. :rotfl2:

Thanks Kelly for the report and tips.

Thanks psac!! :)

I orignally had DVC 4ME but everyone thought it meant divorce for me. :rotfl2:
Now that I only own at the Boardwalk, it made the choice obvious plus only other WDW nuts understand. :)

Kelly

If you can convince some in your party to do it, I always shower the night before and just have to freshen up in the morning. :) This leaves at least one less person vying for the shower(s) in the morning. I like taking the grime off before getting into bed anyway. :rolleyes1 I'm hopeful that you have at least one early riser :coffee: who will get in and out before anyone else evens wakes up! :thumbsup2

If you can convince some in your party to do it, I always shower the night before and just have to freshen up in the morning. :) This leaves at least one less person vying for the shower(s) in the morning. I like taking the grime off before getting into bed anyway. :rolleyes1 I'm hopeful that you have at least one early riser :coffee: who will get in and out before anyone else evens wakes up! :thumbsup2

DW and I were discussing the shower situation yesterday. Her and I will most likely get up before anyone and some will take showers at night. I'm sure it will work out. There may be mornings when some will sleep in and miss us early birds. It's an adult group and we may all be on different schedules. We'll do meet ups at the parks I'm sure. Thanks for the suggestion! :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts