Pre-trip anxiety with an anxiety disorder.. how do you manage?

ToxicRoyalty

Villain in a princess tiara
Some background, so you know where I'm coming from: I have panic disorder, anxiety, and BPD. I obsess over trips, in a way that I need everything set beforehand and I will panic to the point of panic attacks and disassociation if I think something is off, or I find out new information, no matter how long before the trip it is.

Right now our trip coming up is (of course!) Disney, and it feels like I can't breathe every time I try to focus on it. Thinking about trying to get fast passes freaks me out too much. We've been to the resort before (and love it!) but for some reason, when I try to visualize it/think about what we can do there, I disassociate. And just tonight, I found out there's no wheelchair viewing for Happily Ever After (my grandmother will be using one) and it reduced me to tears because we're going on the ONE night of our trip it's happening (we're going during MNSSHP) and I don't know if we should do a dessert party to hopefully have better seating, if that'll even help, if it's even worth it, etc.

It sucks, because Disney really is my happy place, and there is so much I'm looking forward to, but at this point I'm worried that this won't get better and I'll have panic attacks in the parks, ruining it for my dad and grandmother.

Does anyone have any advice? Tips? Personal experiences? All would be SO much appreciated!

We have a couple of family members who have anxiety issues - one of them is not unlike you, and needs to feel like the trip is "settled" or else she cannot relax at all.

She has learned to break things down into manageable "chunks" (so that she doesn't feel so overwhelmed, like she is trying to bail out the Titanic with a teaspoon) and she has also learned as part of that to make lists. The lists are good for her, because she can check things off, and it lets her see the progress she has made on "settling" that part of the trip. Here's a couple of examples of how she works...

First of all, she uses "Notes" in her iPhone, iPad and on her Mac via iCloud so that everything syncs up, and she always has her notes everywhere! That gives her a lot of comfort, because she worried about losing, or leaving her paper notes all the time. Because the notes (which are her lists) are in her devices, and they sync automatically, she knows they are always wherever she is. (And by using iCloud, she can even access them from *any* internet-connected computer in the world, just by going to iCloud.com and signing in, which gives her a feeling of comfort and control, because she can always get to her lists!)

Next, we break the trip down into each day. So, for example, if we are planning a 10 day trip, then we start by "roughing out" each day - Day 1 is a travel day, Day 2 we are a Disney World, Day 3 we are at Disney World... Day 10 is travel home day.

Next, we take each day, and begin to fill it in with more detail. If we hit a snag (like your concern about HEA fireworks views for your Grandmother) then that goes onto the list for that day so that we remember to "fix" it. Each day has it's own list of things that we will address. There's also typically other lists, like a packing list (very important) and a list for things that don't fit anywhere else. Most folks don't need to go this far; they can do their planning in the My Disney Experience app, but she needs the reassurance of her lists, so that's what our family does.

In the "Notes" app, she uses a feature that Apple has provided that allows you to create a "list" with little bubbles or circles that you can tap on to indicate that you have done that item. There's a nice little check mark right there to reassure her that it's done and "settled", and the circles without the check marks are the things that she focuses on. This has been HUGE for her, because without that visual cue that she was, in fact, getting stuff done, she never really felt like she was making progress, and so her anxiety would ramp up accordingly.

When we are in WDW, we make sure that we can create "safe spaces" for her if need be. If she gets overwhelmed, or if she begins to feel too anxious, we can make a family "bubble" around her. If the bubble is not enough, then we know that we can go to First Aid for a little while until she is ready to continue on. And if she has to go back to the Resort room? Well, it's still OK, because we are still at Disney World! We can still have Mickey Waffles in the morning and we are still all together as a family! If the worst thing that happens on our trip is that we don't get to see the fireworks, it's OK. Believe me, I will trade you a trip to WDW without fireworks any day over sitting at home! :)

And that's the last thing that I want to stress. Our family always works to remember that if that (insert your worst fear about your WDW trip here) is the *worst* thing to happen on our trip, will we still want to go? Will we still have fun? Will we still make wonderful memories? As long as the answer is always "yes", then you will be ok. I promise! :)

I'm curious - do you find that once you get to WDW (either during your time there, or afterwards) that your fears were largely unfounded? Or do you look back on your trips and feel like they were all disasters? Can you find a common thread that binds the "successful" trips (for example, you let your family plan the trip, and you just showed up) vs. the "disaster trips" (you tried to overplan every moment of the trip and nothing was on time and everyone was grumpy) Ironically, our family has found that the less planning we do - the more spontaneous the trip is - the happier we are overall. That's difficult for our family member with anxiety disorder, because she needs to feel "settled" and prepared, and planning everything is part of that.

I know that these strategies might not work for you, and that's OK. It's just how one person with anxiety disorder copes. The thing to try and remember is that although no trip will ever be "perfect" (because it *can't* be, there are other humans involved!) you have amazing tools and resources available to you to try and resolve as many issues as possible before you even leave your driveway for Florida! One of those is right here, in this forum. We can't solve all your dilemmas - that's true, but we maybe can help give you some ideas or options, and at the very least, information, so that you know what to expect. And knowing what to expect - even if you can't control the situation - can help sometimes.

I'm sure that a lot of people have told you "Don't worry! It will be fine!" and for them... it is, but for you, it never can be, because you feel as though you don't have that option. I will never tell you that it will be "fine" - but I will encourage you to find ways to manage your anxiety, so that you don't have to fear the panic attacks and subsequent disassociation. For some people, that comes from certain concrete actions, and for others, it may be that medications are required. Regardless of how you arrive at a point where you feel more confident, please know that you are not alone in the world, and that the DISboards can be a great resource for you when it comes to your Disney trip planning.

I'll try not to sound like an evangelical preacher for mindfulness, lol, because I know some people see it as too trendy or new agey or whatnot, but honestly, I find this to be one of the most helpful practices, for me personally, for anxiety. It's not a be-all end-all and certainly does not 'cure' any problematic situation, but I feel that mindfulness meditation and 'metta' meditation are very helpful, even with relatively little practice. Again, not that they are going to just make any situation peachy keen, but they can help a lot. If you're interested, there are lots and lots of options out there but simply Googling "free beginners mindfulness course" is a good way to start, you'll find lots of free resources.

Another thing to consider is that Disney trips, if they're a deep part of your family tradition, can feel almost like a wedding, or the holidays, in that there can be a lot of feelings associated. I feel that they can, much like pre-wedding stress or mid-holiday quarrels, bring out a lot of emotions! For example - I don't think about my parents aging so much until I consider how much harder walking the parks will be for them now than it was 20 years ago, and that brings on this cascade of emotions about how much time we have left together. If I was planning a day wherein we walked around the mall I wouldn't even notice that, but Disney feels like a milestone that I naturally compare past times to. So, it might be worth reflecting on whether or not there's some dynamic in this trip that's particularly difficult or emotional for you.

Last but not least, having a sort of security ritual to fall back on can be helpful. Something like "Maybe we'll miss the FastPass window or I won't get FastPasses at all. Maybe our favorite ride will be broken. Maybe we won't find a good parade viewing spot. But no matter what, at 4:00, I'm going to stand by the castle with a Dole Whip, enjoy every bite, and just take it all in - the good, the bad, and the unpredictable." or "Whatever happens today, when I get back to the hotel I'll sit with my feet in the pool, watch the fireworks, and say a little prayer of gratitude for this crazy unpredictable life - the parts that went beautifully and the wild stories I can dine out on for the next month!".

Anyways, just adding a couple more thoughts to the thread. I think MamaBunny had some excellent ideas - hoping there's something in these various suggestions that is useful for you!

First of all, thank you for your responses!! I genuinely already feel better.

The lists idea is genius- especially checking them off, I had no idea I could do that with the notes app. I've been writing lists here and there, on paper, but I keep losing them, which probably isn't helping at all! Seeing how each day is laid out will most likely help as well- one of my biggest fears is having a day that is terrible because we don't know what to do, and end up sitting around- but that's probably ridiculous. We have park hoppers and can make fast passes.

I think most of our trips do benefit from planning- it went badly last year when we hadn't finished planning before we left- but some of our best discoveries happened when we just went away from the plan a bit, and I think I do have to remember that. Even with the plan, we might change it up, and that's okay.

And DisneyAuntie, you're right on the family tradition bit- not only is this something my dad and I do a lot, but it'll also be our first family trip since my grandfather passed, and the first trip to Disney for my grandmother without him. So on top of "every trip to Disney should be great" I think I put a lot of stress on myself to make it perfect for my dad and especially my grandmother.

The little ritual idea is perfect. We make a point to eat in Pinocchio Haus every trip, at night, by the Small World windows, since that's one of our favorite people watching places, plus the ambiance (and who doesn't love feeling powerful by holding up signs and having people do whatever they say??) So I can definitely keep that in mind! Plus, with that at night, I can even use it as a "well, even if this gets messed up right now, tonight we can do this, and it'll still feel magical."

Thank you both SO much. I really do already feel better and more confident about this trip already. I'm really, really glad I posted.

Aw, I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. So, just an fyi, I wouldn't be surprised if some of those emotions come up during the trip. I don't want to worry you or like, somehow 'make' that happen by putting the thought in your head, so that may 100% not apply to you! If you are kind of sensitive and an emotional sponge like me, though, it might be something to think about in a "You know what, if this happens, I'll be ready for it, it's a natural part of life and it's not a big deal" kind of way. Like I said, for me Disney is like a wedding or like Christmas - it has a fair bit of emotional significance. One example - I have been truly shocked to find myself almost in tears trying to decide whether or not to schedule my niece a FastPass for Splash and Thunder Mountain. She had medical issues as an infant and we didn't have a guarantee that she would make it - on top of that, she couldn't be touched or held so her parents had to just watch as she screamed and was sedated with drugs to keep her from thrashing around and pulling out tubes. She's been happy and healthy for almost three years now so the idea of this factoring into a Disney trip didn't even occur to me - but when I realized she's never been on a thrill ride and picture her being terrified all over again on account of my scheduling (or, alternately, being heartbroken because she would have loved those rides but didn't get to go because I didn't schedule her) - yeah, it's super weird, but I get teary-eyed every time I contemplate it, and I'm usually not a crier at all! I feel like it brings up some old stuff sometimes, the way that a first holiday season without a loved one might.

Again, I don't want to sort of lean you in that direction by the power of suggestion or anything - you may be totally different and it may be a beautiful time remembering one of your favorite places as a family. But if this is your first trip without him, I'd say, don't stress if you have to break out the tissues, it happens!

One more thought - since getting just a bit of feedback here has really been helpful - wondering if it would be a good idea to have a 'go to' friend or family member that you can be texting with at the park. Just someone who can send you some happy thoughts and encouragement - sometimes that can make a world of difference!

Anyways, best of luck to you, I hope you have a great trip!

@DisneyAuntie12

You'll know it's me, because I'm the one who, when watching a Disney movie... and the castle comes up at the start... I turn into a weepy little puddle because it reminds me of when you are entering MK, and you make "the turn", and then there the castle is at the end of Main Street, and then I just have to cry a little because OMG I want to be a Disney World

So, yeah... there are a *lot* of emotions tied up in these trips for all of us. Excellent point!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter