Powerpoint 2013 gone from laptop

mamamary

DIS Veteran
During the week we brought my dd's laptop in for a diagnostic check to a repair shop. Tonight when she needed to open powerpoint it was gone from her Microsoft Office 2013 list of apps on the laptop - this had nothing to do with what we brought it in for. She was not able to get into Powerpoint so she said it was gone not just that the app was gone. So now the store opens at 10am tom. morning which is right when I am driving her back to school. Just thought I'd see on here if anyone knows how to get this back ourselves or do we need to hit the repair shop in the morning. Thx. Hope this made sense since I'm bad at anything computer related.

What kind of computer does she have? She can probably just re-download it from whatever App Store she uses.

What kind of computer does she have? She can probably just re-download it from whatever App Store she uses.
It's an hp laptop. Is it free to download? She told me a message had popped up when she was trying to get in before and it said the charge would be $100.

If you have the original install DVD from 2013, you MAY be able to re-install. However, I would wait and contact the store tomorrow where the work was done, since they may have messed up other things you haven't yet noticed. If you start trying to fix it yourself, they may not be able to help you. Do you know how to do a file search so you see if the *.ppt files of anything you previously created are still there? The repair store may have moved files to a different directory, but I would let them be the ones to move them back to where they should be.

Thx. I think just to be on the safe side we are stopping at the repair shop on the way to school. I am hoping that nothing else is wrong and that he can fix this quickly while we wait. I appreciate the help.

That does seem really strange. I agree with taking it to the repair shop if at all possible.

However, I do wonder if the program is actually gone or just the shortcut is gone from the desktop I've had MANY adults (young as well as old) tell me a program is "gone" when they just couldn't find the shortcut on the desktop. I'm guessing either that or the program association link got broken.

That does seem really strange. I agree with taking it to the repair shop if at all possible.

However, I do wonder if the program is actually gone or just the shortcut is gone from the desktop I've had MANY adults (young as well as old) tell me a program is "gone" when they just couldn't find the shortcut on the desktop. I'm guessing either that or the program association link got broken.

Good point

She said it’s gone and she knows more than I do. I’ll update later what the outcome was.

Yes, I wondered that too. Many people freak out and panic when they can't find the shortcut icon to start the program. It may have gotten accidentally deleted from the desktop and/or the Startup list. They don't know enough or where to look for the real program and to simply create a new shortcut icon to be placed on the desktop again. That is quite different from the whole program being deleted. Especially if she has the other components of Microsoft Office. "Office" is a package of programs/apps not just one program.

There are ways to do searches to see if the program is still there.

Quick follow-up. Stopped in the repair shop as soon as it opened. The owner helped us right away. PowerPoint was completely gone. He has no idea how it happened. He had to do a reinstall from our Microsoft account. From start to finish we were there 30 minutes. I offered to pay him but he declined. Thx everyone for your input.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter