Powered wheelchair use restrictions

JimC

DVC Co-Moderator
Background - my wife has a power assisted wheelchair (manual wheelchair with powered wheels added - an Invacare ProSpin X4 folding ultra light weight wheelchair with the Alber E-fix Basic E25 drive wheels). She has been using that chair in ride queues for the year and a half she has had it. It provides her with mobility independence.

Issue - June 15th we were at Pirates and had no problem using the wheelchair up to the load zone as usual. Two days later we were told at front of Pirates queue that no motorized wheelchairs are permitted and she had to transfer to one of their manual chairs. We inquired in writing to DVC member satisfaction (we are DVC owners) and was told that for safety concerns they were being banned from that ride and maybe additional rides. This afternoon it happened at Flights of Passage. This time it happened at the end of the queue. They wanted to treat her wheelchair like an ECV.

I do not understand the rationale for this policy. Her wheelchair is standard size, has the mobility to turn 360 degrees without moving, and is accepted by the airlines who have the strictest rules governing power chairs. So just what is the issue? This is so odd as our experience over many years of Disney trips that they are very accommodating to disability challenges.

I can’t do pirates because is the low boat. But I cannot use the Disney manual chairs as I cannot get up from one. They are too low. If I sat in one we’d have to call the Reedy Creek EMTs to get me out of the chair.

If they make exceptions for your wife, they have to do the same for everyone. I know I can easily navigate the ToT queue in a three-wheel ECV, but I'm not allowed to.

How did she get her chair at the end of PotC?

Disney has to provide ADA accommodations. They don't have to provide the accommodations we want.

Not an exception, this is a policy change as was told to me by the cast member assigned to this issue after he had gotten it in front of operations and gotten feedback. Reason - safety concerns

She is using a wheelchair, not a scooter or ECV.

She gets her chair the same way anyone else who has a wheelchair does, a cast member pushes it in free wheel mode to the end of the ride

Last edited:
Not an exception, this is a policy change
Yes, thank you, I happen to possess excellent reading comprehension. Yes, it is a policy change. Disney can, but typically will not, make exceptions to policy changes. Back to ToT: at one point you were able to ride an ECV to the elevator, where it was moved downstairs to the exit. Then you couldn't (and afaik still can't). I was made aware of this policy change on my second attempt to ride one day, the first attempt successful without being stopped or redirected by a CM.
She is using a wheelchair, not a scooter or ECV.
Yes, I read that. I even already knew what a power assisted wheelchair is.
She gets her chair the same way anyone else who has a wheelchair does, a cast member pushes it in free wheel mode to the end of the ride
This I was not aware of. I suppose next time I go, I will have an issue with wheelchairs being moved to the exit, but ECVs still needing to be left and claimed outside the entrance.

Background - my wife has a power assisted wheelchair (manual wheelchair with powered wheels added - an Invacare ProSpin X4 folding ultra light weight wheelchair with the Alber E-fix Basic E25 drive wheels). She has been using that chair in ride queues for the year and a half she has had it. It provides her with mobility independence.

Issue - June 15th we were at Pirates and had no problem using the wheelchair up to the load zone as usual. Two days later we were told at front of Pirates queue that no motorized wheelchairs are permitted and she had to transfer to one of their manual chairs. We inquired in writing to DVC member satisfaction (we are DVC owners) and was told that for safety concerns they were being banned from that ride and maybe additional rides. This afternoon it happened at Flights of Passage. This time it happened at the end of the queue. They wanted to treat her wheelchair like an ECV.

I do not understand the rationale for this policy. Her wheelchair is standard size, has the mobility to turn 360 degrees without moving, and is accepted by the airlines who have the strictest rules governing power chairs. So just what is the issue? This is so odd as our experience over many years of Disney trips that they are very accommodating to disability challenges.
I can understand for POTCB since the ride ends in another building it can be hard to get a wheelchair over to the other building by the time the ride is done. I can see the CM wanting to use Disney wheelchair where they can just keep a few other there and add more when needed. As fair as FOP goes thst is strange. Did they ask her to use one of there before the preshow maybe that so they can move it to the exit faster.

I can understand for POTCB since the ride ends in another building it can be hard to get a wheelchair over to the other building by the time the ride is done. I can see the CM wanting to use Disney wheelchair where they can just keep a few other there and add more when needed. As fair as FOP goes thst is strange. Did they ask her to use one of there before the preshow maybe that so they can move it to the exit faster.

Unless at FOP it's the queue itself that's somehow the problem? I know that the first time I drove through that queue, I was *amazed* at how it was laid out - and how "hilly" it was up to the show building. Maybe some devices are struggling with the queue, and this is Disney's solution? Or maybe the problem is inside the show building? I know that the night I waited for our daughter to ride, they stuck me in that little waiting area that is lined with benches, (for non-riders to wait) outside the main floor theatre, and the CM who was there told me that little area often fills up with devices while people are riding because there is no where else to put them.

Not an exception, this is a policy change as was told to me by the cast member assigned to this issue after he had gotten it in front of operations and gotten feedback. Reason - safety concerns

From Disney's website:​
For more information, please contact Disability Services at (407) 560-2547 or email disability.services@disneyparks.com.​

It couldn't hurt to reach out to them as well. While I understand asking DVC about your experience, in reality you might want to give some feedback to Disability Services as well.

Sadly, the people who create policies and procedures for folks who must use a mobility device often are able-bodied, and don't understand the ramifications of changing how something works. Disney's own Disability Services is the best possible advocate for your family in this case.

Unless at FOP it's the queue itself that's somehow the problem? I know that the first time I drove through that queue, I was *amazed* at how it was laid out - and how "hilly" it was up to the show building. Maybe some devices are struggling with the queue, and this is Disney's solution? Or maybe the problem is inside the show building? I know that the night I waited for our daughter to ride, they stuck me in that little waiting area that is lined with benches, (for non-riders to wait) outside the main floor theatre, and the CM who was there told me that little area often fills up with devices while people are riding because there is no where else to put them.

For more information, please contact Disability Services at (407) 560-2547 or email disability.services@disneyparks.com.​

It couldn't hurt to reach out to them as well. While I understand asking DVC about your experience, in reality you might want to give some feedback to Disability Services as well.

Sadly, the people who create policies and procedures for folks who must use a mobility device often are able-bodied, and don't understand the ramifications of changing how something works. Disney's own Disability Services is the best possible advocate for your family in this case.
I know my friend who used an ECV went thought to the preshow with hers and then had to use either walk or use a wheelchair

I use a regular manual wheelchair but I recently got a power assist SmartDrive from Permobil. I thought that would be the perfect addon to get me up the hill at Flight of Passage. Hopefully they will still allow it on the uphill part. I can take it off for the actual ride although why it needs to come off makes no sense at all.

For them to ban a power assist on the steepest and longest queue they have makes no sense at all.

I am so sorry to hear this. I know last December they wouldn't let me roll my wheelchair up either for the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction, but they did let me roll up the Flights of Passage all of the way to the ride and the cast member put it freewheel mode and rolled it out with the other wheelchairs.

I really don't think that this is right.

JimC, thank you for confirming this through DVC. Let me know if you need support if you try to write DVC again and need me to help.

I just sent them an email about this. I was researching going to Universal Studios in Orlando this September and I read where the electric wheelchairs are restricted in so many of their queues to their attraction rides. I hope WDW doesn't head in that same direction.

I use a regular manual wheelchair but I recently got a power assist SmartDrive from Permobil. I thought that would be the perfect addon to get me up the hill at Flight of Passage. Hopefully they will still allow it on the uphill part. I can take it off for the actual ride although why it needs to come off makes no sense at all.

For them to ban a power assist on the steepest and longest queue they have makes no sense at all.

Hi, Bill. I agree with you.

I am glad that you got your SmartDrive.

I know you were talking about getting one after your experience at Flights of Passage.

I still remember the nice chat that we had at the Pop Century bus stop, too.

I hope to see you again sometime.

I can't wait to hear how your Disneyland trip went. I really want to go to Disneyland as you did some year. I remember when you were talking about staying at an offsite hotel and using your wheelchair at Disneyland. I really would like to hear a trip report if you decide to write one.

This restriction only applies to powered wheelchairs. If you have a manual chair, it is taken from load to unload by cast members. The issue has nothing to do with logistics or they would ban all personal wheelchairs

This restriction only applies to powered wheelchairs. If you have a manual chair, it is taken from load to unload by cast members. The issue has nothing to do with logistics or they would ban all personal wheelchairs
It was just a guess on why

I am so sorry to hear this. I know last December they wouldn't let me roll my wheelchair up either for the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction, but they did let me roll up the Flights of Passage all of the way to the ride and the cast member put it freewheel mode and rolled it out with the other wheelchairs.

I really don't think that this is right.

JimC, thank you for confirming this through DVC. Let me know if you need support if you try to write DVC again and need me to help.

For Flights of Passage they did let her use the chair to the end of the queue (load zone end). It was there they claimed it had to be treated like an ECV. She stood her ground and the cast member called a manager and was told to let her proceed, but it had to be in manual mode. The FoP load cast member said it was an issue with the battery. If that is the case then they better ban all LI batteries - phones, tablets - all of them.

We are still waiting for Disney to respond to our DVC inquiry. My wife went to Disney disability and submitted a concern and has heard nothing back.

Again, this really is stunning to me because Disney has generally been superior at making people’s with challenges to feel welcome. And this is especially shocking after reading about the top disability score they received.

For Flights of Passage they did let her use the chair to the end of the queue (load zone end). It was there they claimed it had to be treated like an ECV. She stood her ground and the cast member called a manager and was told to let her proceed, but it had to be in manual mode. The FoP load cast member said it was an issue with the battery. If that is the case then they better ban all LI batteries - phones, tablets - all of them.

We are still waiting for Disney to respond to our DVC inquiry. My wife went to Disney disability and submitted a concern and has heard nothing back.

Again, this really is stunning to me because Disney has generally been superior at making people’s with challenges to feel welcome. And this is especially shocking after reading about the top disability score they received.

Jim, thanks for refreshing my memory. I forgot the part about at the end of the queue before being directed to ride that the castmember did ask to put my wheelchair in freewheel mode and then she pushed me to the seat.

Sorry about that. I guess I really am getting old and forgetful.

Since I only use the SmartDrive power assist for going up hills I guess I'll be good. I can reach the top of the hill then turn it off before going inside. I could also remove it by myself but I'd need to get out of my chair to be able to reach the back and put it back on.

Since I only use the SmartDrive power assist for going up hills I guess I'll be good. I can reach the top of the hill then turn it off before going inside. I could also remove it by myself but I'd need to get out of my chair to be able to reach the back and put it back on.

Hi, Bill. If it was like last May, then you could just roll yourself with the SmartDrive off and the cast member could bring it back to you afterward.

I was just discussing this with family members, because we are all kind of shocked. Even though I'm not in a chair yet, that time is coming, and so I am naturally more interested in issues like this.

One of the things we have noticed over the last few years at WDW is what happens in response the the CM question: "Can you transfer?"

If I say "No, I can't transfer", then my device and I are not separated at rides where there is a roll-in/roll-on ability.

If I say "Yes, I can transfer", then my device is taken away from me. At some rides (Pirates, for example) I am offered an attraction wheelchair. At other rides, typically, I am allowed to get reasonably close to the ride vehicle before a CM moves my device away from the loading point.

I am beginning to believe that WDW views almost everyone as able to transfer unless otherwise informed, and that this is most likely driven by the large number of folks who use a mobility device only at WDW. I'm not saying that this is *right* or *fair* - just that as time passes, and it increasingly becomes apparent how many people have to rent ECVs just to get around at WDW... A lot of folks on the ground in the Parks are presuming that (unless it's really visually apparent) you *can* transfer (and they can get that device out of the way).

Our family has noticed that there is a definite difference in how your device is managed at WDW if you are asked that question "Can you transfer" (or sadly, all too often "Can *she* transfer?" like I'm not really a sentient human) depending on how you answer.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts