Power Strips

I have surge protectors (Belkin) and USB chargers (Anker) and neither have a number on them. They have the UL symbol, but no 1363 or 1449. They all have different numbers that start with and E. So do I trust my plugs?
If it is a surge protector, then it better have a UL 1449 listing. Since those can be a fire hazard. That fire hazard risk increases if a 'whole house' sollution does not exist. Protectors without UL1449 are a greatest fire hazard. Go the Belkin site to only read specification numbers.

You have zero reasons to believe that Belkin is doing any effective protection. Read its spec numbers. We did analysis where plug-in protectors even made damage easier; bypassed what is better protection already inside a PSU. Anything that plug-in protector might do is already done better inside appliances - including portable ones.

As stated previous, that Belkin "must be protected by something completely different called a 'whole house' protector (if properly earthed)".

"A device put on the house panel" is a 'whole house' solution. As true for all protectors, that 'device' is only as effective as its earth ground. Earth ground (not a protector) is the item in that 'solution' that requires most attention.

That Belkin has no earth ground and will not discuss it.

If it is a surge protector, then it better have a UL 1449 listing. Since those can be a fire hazard. That fire hazard risk increases if a 'whole house' sollution does not exist. Protectors without UL1449 are a greatest fire hazard. Go the Belkin site to only read specification numbers.

You have zero reasons to believe that Belkin is doing any effective protection. Read its spec numbers. We did analysis where plug-in protectors even made damage easier; bypassed what is better protection already inside a PSU. Anything that plug-in protector might do is already done better inside appliances - including portable ones.

As stated previous, that Belkin "must be protected by something completely different called a 'whole house' protector (if properly earthed)".

"A device put on the house panel" is a 'whole house' solution. As true for all protectors, that 'device' is only as effective as its earth ground. Earth ground (not a protector) is the item in that 'solution' that requires most attention.

That Belkin has no earth ground and will not discuss it.
Yeah, so now you have me worried. This i the one I use... no UL rating listed:

upload_2017-10-17_17-45-47.png

P.S. sorry for the hijack, all.

Just my two cents. While the USB outlets provided at many locations (including the ships) are convenient, and may work just fine, there is no way of knowing what kind of power they are putting out. With today's expensive and delicate equipment I think that is worth the peace of mind to bring your own USB hub, as most of them "communicate" with your device and only provide the correct amperage to them.
The devices sense the power and adjust. They don't care what the voltage is..

Yeah, so now you have me worried. This i the one I use... no UL rating listed:
Read spec number. It will absorb 1260 joules and never more than 2520 joules. What happens when it tried to absorb a potentially destructive surge - hundreds of thousands of joules? Informed consumers properly earth a 'whole house' solution so that even direct lightning strikes are absorbed harmlessly outside. Then no surge current is inside hunting for earth destructively via appliances - or near zero joule protectors. Then even that Belkin is protected.

It explains why a cruise ship may confiscate that Belkin.

Read spec number. It will absorb 1260 joules and never more than 2520 joules. What happens when it tried to absorb a potentially destructive surge - hundreds of thousands of joules? Informed consumers properly earth a 'whole house' solution so that even direct lightning strikes are absorbed harmlessly outside. Then no surge current is inside hunting for earth destructively via appliances - or near zero joule protectors. Then even that Belkin is protected.

It explains why a cruise ship may confiscate that Belkin.
No, I wouldn't take a monster plug like that on a cruise, for sure. But I do worry about having it in my home.

For the cruise, we used a USB plug:
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charge...00VH8ZW02/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

It worked really well. But this was all it says about UL and there is no number on the unit:
UL Certified
Built with industry grade materials and premium circuitry, this product meets the rigorous safety standards of Underwriters Laboratories.

For the cruise, we used a USB plug:
Protector creates a threat because it absorbs energy. USB plug has a completely different function. It is not a surge protector. Whereas it would be more honest to state which UL standard it conforms to, still, these devices do not have a history of electrocuting someone or creating a fire.

Protector creates a threat because it absorbs energy. USB plug has a completely different function. It is not a surge protector. Whereas it would be more honest to state which UL standard it conforms to, still, these devices do not have a history of electrocuting someone or creating a fire.

However, even the multi-port USB chargers can have issues. We had an earlier generation Anker one. That generation had an overheating problem. Some people's got hot enough it melted or otherwise did damage to the surfaces it was on. Once the problems started Amazon reviews started describing incidents and including pictures. Unfortunately we already owned one by then. for the brief period we continued to use it, we then only used it with one item plugged into it, with an adult in the room at all times. It DID get quite hot sometimes. We have since replaced it as I absolutely did not trust it. I forget what Anker's explanation of the problem was, but they did acknowledge there was one.

SW

Something I have found works really well when traveling, and avoids the whole power strip issue for the most part, if it is an option for your needs...

I bring a couple/few external power banks. Each can charge for example an iPhone 3 or 4 times. Plug it in, charge it up; then charge the devices off of it. The ones I have can charge two devices at a time and they do it pretty quickly. Extra plus is I can throw one in a purse or bag with the device charging cable and I have power on the go if needed. There are plenty of options out there in terms of capacity, weight, etc.

SW

However, even the multi-port USB chargers can have issues. We had an earlier generation Anker one. That generation had an overheating problem. Some people's got hot enough it melted or otherwise did damage to the surfaces it was on. Once the problems started Amazon reviews started describing incidents and including pictures. Unfortunately we already owned one by then. for the brief period we continued to use it, we then only used it with one item plugged into it, with an adult in the room at all times. It DID get quite hot sometimes. We have since replaced it as I absolutely did not trust it. I forget what Anker's explanation of the problem was, but they did acknowledge there was one.

SW
What brand/item did you replace it with?

I don't find mine gets hot, but I haven't ever had more than 3 things plugged in at once and it is supposed to be able to charge 5 items.

What brand/item did you replace it with?

I don't find mine gets hot, but I haven't ever had more than 3 things plugged in at once and it is supposed to be able to charge 5 items.

Belkin swivel charger, which has 2 USB ports and 1 normal plug. Mostly when traveling though I use external power bank batteries and just recharge off them and then recharge them as needed; we bring a few so one always has power. I also bring the OEM power cubes for each device so plug them in directly. At home each device is plugged into its OEM cube with its original cable, which in turn is into a Belkin surge protector bar (because more plugs are needed than are in the wall).

SW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter