Potential hurricane impact on plans

vegs1

DIS Veteran
I have an upcoming 4 night cruise on the Dream scheduled. Just trying to be proactive in case of a hurricane and have a few questions. We are flying in the day before.

1). We have one pre-cruise stay at the MCO Hyatt booked as well as one post cruise night at POFQ. If I buy tickets to the Halloween party for our post cruise night and we are affected by the hurricane, would those be refundable through Disney or do you always end up going through insurance (which we have) to get back money.

2). For those with actual experience in having plans impacted while cruising, was it best to contact airlines and resorts by phone, Twitter, etc? I know once changes happen with a hurricane, everyone is trying to contact someone to make changes.

3). If we purchased water or stateroom gifts for our cabin, I’m assuming that would be automatically refunded?

I want to think ahead just in case. We have never been personally impacted by a hurricane and we are travelling for the first time with grandkids so don’t want too many extra surprises.

Thank you!

The halloween party is officially non-refundable through Disney, so they would have to make an exception (which they might do since it is a Disney Cruise; it's just a YMMV situation). In your shoes to avoid the hassle of dealing with customer service I would just wait to book the party until you actually know if your cruise will be going forward or not. Unless you are trying to do a party the week of halloween, most other parties do not sell out in advance.

Guest services on the ship can help with contacting airlines if you are at sea and can't make a phone call. I've never heard of using twitter to change flight arrangements and it seems unlikely that would be effective, but maybe more social media savvy people can weigh in.

Yep, DCL will cancel anything booked through DCL if they cancel your cruise.

The halloween party is officially non-refundable through Disney, so they would have to make an exception (which they might do since it is a Disney Cruise; it's just a YMMV situation). In your shoes to avoid the hassle of dealing with customer service I would just wait to book the party until you actually know if your cruise will be going forward or not. Unless you are trying to do a party the week of halloween, most other parties do not sell out in advance.

Guest services on the ship can help with contacting airlines if you are at sea and can't make a phone call. I've never heard of using twitter to change flight arrangements and it seems unlikely that would be effective, but maybe more social media savvy people can weigh in.

Yep, DCL will cancel anything booked through DCL if they cancel your cruise.

Thank you.

I guess the twitter idea came from me seeing that those tweeting Spirit airlines about them not answering their phones (at the best of times) were tweeted back to direct message them. Not sure if that did anything but it stuck in my head as an option.

Twitter is a terrible contact mechanism for changing reservations for a lot of reasons. Phone or official website.

Twitter is a great mechanism for getting attention for complaints (or positive customer service), but the reps that monitor social media are not able to make reservation changes.

When a hurricane has threatened the Disney World area, Disney has loosened their ticket refund policy for party tickets. Not sure they would do the same if the hurricane impacted the pre-park stay, rather than the parks themselves.

I guess I will have all phone numbers at the ready and cross my fingers that the hurricanes stay far, far away!! Thanks!

The two current storms are forecast to remain at sea and head north without impacting the cruise areas directly (obviously maybe some higher waves and currents) - unless you are headed to Bermuda.

There is a disturbance off the African coast that looks good for development, but as it has not done any developing yet predictions as to a path are non-existent.

The two current storms are forecast to remain at sea and head north without impacting the cruise areas directly (obviously maybe some higher waves and currents) - unless you are headed to Bermuda.

There is a disturbance off the African coast that looks good for development, but as it has not done any developing yet predictions as to a path are non-existent.

Yes, I’ve been following along and know this. Just want to be prepared. There’s nothing quite like hurricane season to keep you on your travel planning toes!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!