Potential Galaxy’s edge opening date clues in UK 2019 free dinning promotion

Md0u80a2

Dad of 4 under 8!
Hi all

As those of you in the US get ready for you 2018 free dinning to go live, today (about 5 minutes ago) the UK version came online. Unlike the USA, we traditionally get the following years promotion live in the spring, going all the way till the end of the next year (recognising the bigger investment of time for travel and planning needed for international travel). There is I think a massive clue to the opening date of Galaxy’s edge hidden in the promotion. See below:

‘Book your 2019 Disney Deluxe, Deluxe Villa or Moderate Resort and park tickets and stay for five nights or more to get free Disney Dining. Book a Disney Value Resort and park tickets for five nights or more and everyone gets Free Breakfast every day of your stay. Certain menu items may incur an additional cost. Excludes arrivals 8–25 Apr 2019 on all Disney properties and excludes arrivals 17 Sep–30 Nov 2019 at Bay Lake Tower at Disney’s Contemporary Resort, Disney’s Animal Kingdom Villas — Jambo House, Disney’s Animal Kingdom Villas — Kidani Village, Disney’s Beach Club Villas, Disney’s BoardWalk Villas, Disney’s Old Key West Resort, Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa, Boulder Ridge Villas at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge. Excludes: 3-bedroom grand villas, Disney’s Grand Floridian Villas, Disney’s Polynesian Villas & Bungalows, and Copper Creek Villas & Cabins at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge. Suites at Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort, Little Mermaid rooms at Disney’s Art of Animation Resort & select suites throughout Walt Disney World Resort Hotels.’

Now the boardwalk resorts have never been blacked out and neither have the DVC properties. The timing of the blackout is the key. Easter has always been excluded, but in past years the promotion runs all the way till November 30th. The date they give is 17 September for the blackout to start. Given the combination of these two factors, I can’t just imagine they are expecting a 2019 Halloween spike in attendance or a post toy story land effect, as the promotion ran as normal in 2018.

This could just be Disney being Disney, but given that we are expecting a summer opening in 2019 in Disneyland and autumn opening in WDW ( and certainly before the December opening of Star Wars episode 9 in theatres), I believe this is Disney pointing to at least a potential opening window or post opening period where they believe they won’t need any help filling rooms!

What do you think?

Dad of 4 under 8!

I think a lot of the best guesses would agree that a "fall" 2019 opening of SWGE is what they are targeting. This is a good clue though .. It would be great if SWGE opened in late September, but boy would it make Fall of 2019 crazy packed at the world.

Wow .. interesting promotion - free breakfast. I'm assuming they do that to encourage you to get the dining plan as well so you essentially have all 3 meals covered?

I often wondered why the Disney Dining Plan didn't have a breakfast option -- that is one of the reasons it doesn't appeal to me .. giving me two meals a day, doesn't do much (as I am one of those "Breakfast is the most important meals of the day" type of people).

I doubt they have an opening date set. Probably a target they are aiming for and are keeping options open. I do agree they don't want to be offering nice discounts during a time it might be opening.

Last edited:
The free breakfast in past years has simply been a counter service credit-
Which has been accepted at all times of day.

I think you are right regarding the specific date, but I do believe it indicates a more specific range. For example, some had rumoured they may try to catch up with Disneyland for summer, but given the full availability of free dining during that period of 2019 I doubt that will occur.

I think it could be a good indication that US free dining will be a thing of the past next fall as well. (Though they may do it for August/September to get people to come right before SWGE opens as that is a traditionally slow time and may be even slower as some guests don't want to miss the opening of a huge new land)

Do we really think that Disney needs to draw people to the resorts after SWGE opens? (And from the rumors of this year's (heard on the podcast) .. it seems like it will be even more restricted this year as well).

I think you are right

Culturally, we are all programmed for free dinning - but amongst an array of offers. After all Disney gives with one hand and takes with the other

I priced the trip before the offer - 2 adults, 3 children, 1 infant, 1 room at beach club / yacht club, 2 weeks, dining plan and uk unlimited 2 week ticket for all - original price £8750, Price with free dining - £7000.

So definitely a saving - but as the team on the show always say, what things may be like when other cash, room only, offers come up is hard to say.

And remember, since that original quote, I now have 2 weeks worth of parking to pay for - for some reason, UK people seem far more keen on fly drive and a hire car - perhaps it is how pleasant driving in the US is instead of UK and how a massive van costs the same as a hatchback in London. And how many extras in terms of cost will exist before I arrive next year!

In summary, I think the offer will exist, but as always, to suit Disney!!!

I think a lot of the best guesses would agree that a "fall" 2019 opening of SWGE is what they are targeting. This is a good clue though .. It would be great if SWGE opened in late September, but boy would it make Fall of 2019 crazy packed at the world.

Wow .. interesting promotion - free breakfast. I'm assuming they do that to encourage you to get the dining plan as well so you essentially have all 3 meals covered?

I often wondered why the Disney Dining Plan didn't have a breakfast option -- that is one of the reasons it doesn't appeal to me .. giving me two meals a day, doesn't do much (as I am one of those "Breakfast is the most important meals of the day" type of people).

They had a promotion for last summer (I believe it was) that gave people free breakfast (and it was specific for breakfast) for stays during certain ranges

seemed like not a good deal as it was off rack rate, but guess a way to promote things

I'm planning an early October 2019 trip...we are all hoping the SWGE is open by then! Fingers crossed!!!

Just booked from the uk, interesting sidebar, looks like we also get free parking at the hotels as well. Also do think the Autumn opening is on the cards for star war land, unfortunately were heading over in April 2019..60th birthday bash and retirement party!

Just booked from the uk, interesting sidebar, looks like we also get free parking at the hotels as well. Also do think the Autumn opening is on the cards for star war land, unfortunately were heading over in April 2019..60th birthday bash and retirement party!
Yep UK gets waived parking through 2019.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter