Post-cruise questions

shairpdrh

DIS Veteran
I know this might fall into the "crazy idea" category, but I am hoping I can get a bit of information that I haven't been able to find posted yet. We had a major flight time change on our return date and I am now considering returning to WDW after the cruise rather than spending 10 hours at the airport. I would rather sit and eat one last meal on property or just stroll around a bit. I feel comfortable with my knowledge of returning to the airport from an on property hotel using various methods, but I am don't know anything about the part where we leave the cruise!

Here are two questions I am trying to get answered:

1) How do the buses from the port to resort hotels work? Are they at assigned times? Load and leave?

2) What time do the transfers generally arrive at the hotels? I know this is likely a broad range, but any info is helpful.

I would be open to hearing anything that others have learned trying to do something similar! Thanks!

When we did it last November, different busses went to different groupings of hotels (We were the 3rd or 4th stop on our bus). It appeared to be load and leave; however, I assume that they will hold a few busses at the end if they know they've still got 30 people going to that group of resorts and only 24 are on the bus.

We arrived at the Yacht Club around 10:30 as I recall.

Since you are going to have your luggage (I'm assuming that you can only have them advance check the bags if you are taking Disney transportation to the airport and not to the parks), then are you planning to book a room for the day and leave your bags with the porters at the hotel (since you will be too early to check in)?

Have you considered just renting a vehicle at the port for a one-way rental to the airport? Then you can leave your luggage in the trunk while at the resort/park, and drive to the airport when ready.

It is really important to note that the port transfer to WDW requires a resort booking. You can't just hop the bus (even paid), or ME from WDW.

So you would need private transfers to WDW and then to MCO.

When we did it last November, different busses went to different groupings of hotels (We were the 3rd or 4th stop on our bus). It appeared to be load and leave; however, I assume that they will hold a few busses at the end if they know they've still got 30 people going to that group of resorts and only 24 are on the bus.

We arrived at the Yacht Club around 10:30 as I recall.

Since you are going to have your luggage (I'm assuming that you can only have them advance check the bags if you are taking Disney transportation to the airport and not to the parks), then are you planning to book a room for the day and leave your bags with the porters at the hotel (since you will be too early to check in)?

Have you considered just renting a vehicle at the port for a one-way rental to the airport? Then you can leave your luggage in the trunk while at the resort/park, and drive to the airport when ready.

Thanks! Wasn't too worried about luggage as we pack pretty light, but good to consider.

It is really important to note that the port transfer to WDW requires a resort booking. You can't just hop the bus (even paid), or ME from WDW.

So you would need private transfers to WDW and then to MCO.

Interesting. They were going to let me book when I called, but I guess this is another situation where the person at Disney knows less than the boards. I guess that answers the questions I had and I can consider alternate options!

Thanks to both of you!

We rented a car at the port, which wasn't that expensive for 1 day. Then parked car at Disney springs for free and took bus from Disney Springs to a monorail hotel, had a dole whip, rode the monorail, and took bus back to Disney springs. The airport was jammed and they would not let you past security more than 2 hours before your flight. So glad we spent the day out and about.

I know this might fall into the "crazy idea" category, but I am hoping I can get a bit of information that I haven't been able to find posted yet. We had a major flight time change on our return date and I am now considering returning to WDW after the cruise rather than spending 10 hours at the airport. I would rather sit and eat one last meal on property or just stroll around a bit. I feel comfortable with my knowledge of returning to the airport from an on property hotel using various methods, but I am don't know anything about the part where we leave the cruise!

Here are two questions I am trying to get answered:

1) How do the buses from the port to resort hotels work? Are they at assigned times? Load and leave?

2) What time do the transfers generally arrive at the hotels? I know this is likely a broad range, but any info is helpful.

I would be open to hearing anything that others have learned trying to do something similar! Thanks!

If the airline made such a dramatic change to your flight, you may be eligible to have your flight changed altogether. Given the transportation costs of just going to WDW on your disembarkation day, maybe consider changing your flight altogether to the next day? That way, you can utilize the DCL shuttle service to the WDW resorts and then get the free Magical Express transfer to MCO the next day. If you booked a value resort for the night, it may end up being a wash in terms of costs. Just an idea!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter