Post-Cruise One Day in Animal Kingdom, Worth It?

Two years ago we did a day at AK before our cruise and it was amazing! AK is my favourite park so it was an easy pick plus we had been the year before with our DS5 and he didn't care for it so much so we didn't get to see it all. Having just one day there, we really maximized our time and saw/did all our favourites.

It was our first time seeing Pandora and riding FoP and we loved it. We ended the day at the Poly for fireworks over the lagoon and a drink at Trader Sam's before heading to the hotel for the night. We chose the AllStar Movies resort to make it more affordable.

I highly recommend it as a way to get a Disney fix without spending thousands of dollars on a trip!

Here's my short report of the short visit: https://www.disboards.com/threads/had-one-day-spent-it-at-ak-got-some-disney-magic.3665019/

Now me, I think the parks are so much fun, but won't be doing a trip with multiple days and multiple tickets very often, so if I'm in town I fork over for the expensive one day tickets (so much fun). I would do it.

We are doing a cruise out of Port Canaveral next February, going two days early, and doing one day at the MK before the cruise. Getting in a day at Disney was one of the reasons we chose to cruise out of Port Canaveral vs. Fort Lauderdale or Miami. And flight and pre cruise accommodations are cheaper too, meaning a day at Disney fit the ole budget. I'm only going to do the MK from 9-4 and then having dinner with relatives in Orlando (works for me and worth it to me).

We just this past January did a short eight hour day at AK just getting tickets three days in advance and loved it. We didn't do FOP because of long lines and not FP, but we were able to get some fastpasses, and rope dropped the new Avatar river ride (walk on). We got in all the other popular main attractions too-tons of fun. I also (maybe I am getting old) sometimes am in the camp more is less in terms of hours in a park. I find that I can get a great feel for the place and do my top picks (with some practicalities too - like not wanting to be in a super long line for something that I can't get a fastpass for) and prefer that to morning to night super long days.

Last edited:
If you purchase tickets in advance and stay at a Disney hotel that night you might find something on your 60 day window. Less likely if you're off-site and only have the 30 day window, but def not unheard of. I got them for a party of 3 somewhere around 32ish days out in December.

I've also had good luck getting day of FP's for FoP, as a solo traveler and as a party of 3. You just need to dedicate some effort to refreshing in the app. And, as others have said, you can also get in line just a few minutes before park closing. The posted wait time should be fairly exaggerated and you won't be wasting park time while standing in line.

We are staying on the resort, so I will be sure to mark the 60 day window. Is there a certain time they become available on the 60th day? Also, is there a charge for the FP's?

I'm also a west coaster and DLR vet. I would do it, though our park of choice would be Epcot - but that's a very personal decision, of course! AK is a fantastic park. You're right to not choose MK if you go to DLR a reasonable amount. If your family would love the theming and feel of AK, do it. The theming is part of the magic there. FOTLK and Finding Nemo are both fantastic shows - try to make it to them if you can. We haven't even been since Pandora opened, so that'll add a whole other element.

We are staying on the resort, so I will be sure to mark the 60 day window. Is there a certain time they become available on the 60th day? Also, is there a charge for the FP's?

If you're in PST, it's 4am (7am eastern). I was able to get everything we wanted at 4am 60 days out. I used the computer because it was easier to me than the app on my phone. I was ready a few minutes before and refreshed the screen until I could start reserving. You may have a hard time getting FOP since you're reserving for the first and only day you're there. Many people push their AK day into later in their trip to ensure FOP availability, since people can reserve further out in their stay. For example, we're staying 8 nights, so I reserved FPs technically 69 days ahead. I got our FOP FPs for the morning of our 5th day. I've seen that some have gotten FOP FPs at 60 days in the evening, though.

We did our AK FPs for FOP, the safari (which is a must do!) and Everest (also a must do if you like coasters!). I know AK has less rides, but that park is not all about the rides. The experience is a little different from DLR where it can be all about the rides. If you go in looking to enjoy the experience and the environment as well as the rides, you won't be disappointed.

No charge for FP+, online opening at 7:00 am Eastern.

Guess who's going to be up at 4 AM (we are PST)?? Me! LOL Does it state anywhere the exact day that it would become available or do I just have to do the count myself?

We are debarking that Saturday morning and want to head straight to Animal Kingdom for the rest of the day. When I looked at the app, it didn't appear to have a lot of rides (especially for the cost), plus one of the rides had a 3-hour wait. Is it worth the cost and the extra day in Florida?

We did one day in Epcot after our cruise and it was very expensive! If you go that route, I would choose a park open late.

We are debarking that Saturday morning and want to head straight to Animal Kingdom for the rest of the day. When I looked at the app, it didn't appear to have a lot of rides (especially for the cost), plus one of the rides had a 3-hour wait. Is it worth the cost and the extra day in Florida?
We have never thought so...if anything, we arrive a day early and chose a park before the cruise (maybe even a water park). But, after the cruise we (if we have a day) we will usually spend it at disney springs, maybe see a movie, then dinner somewhere at like at cali grill that night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter