Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

I didn't book flights right when they opened up and I am now kicking myself. The plan was to pay for all flights with points (only got the card to make this happen). Now I need to decide if it is worth it to move the trip. Looking at the last week in February. Any hope of them coming down?

also keep in mind, the prices fluctuate according to how many you book at one time. it's a bit of work, and stressful, especially if you are trying to book the day they open. i sometimes have 5 on one reservation, and 2 on another just to get the best price. good luck
Thank you for this. I kind or thought that but good to have you reiterate it. Sometimes I don't pay attention to my inner voice. Then the next thing you know I book a family vacation over the spring break and am facing some serious travel expense :(

I just learned about a United app where you earn miles for online purchases. Does SW have anything like this for points ( not the credit card ) ? How do y’all earn points besides flights and the cc?

I just learned about a United app where you earn miles for online purchases. Does SW have anything like this for points ( not the credit card ) ? How do y’all earn points besides flights and the cc?
Here are more options for earning:
https://www.southwest.com/rapidrewards/earn-with-partners
When booking rental cars or hotel rooms, check the rates through the Southwest link; sometimes the rates are competitive, and you can earn RR points fairly quickly.

Last edited:
We are traveling early February and working on booking a rental car. Do you think these flight changes from the Max 8 will extend into February?

Yes there is a SWA shopping portal that you can earn points for shopping. It under the rapid rewards tab on the web page

We are traveling early February and working on booking a rental car. Do you think these flight changes from the Max 8 will extend into February?
Right now they do not have the issue fixed with the max 8. First it needs to be fixed then it must go through rigorous testing to get the approval from FAA to fly. Right now it is not looking good..

Thanks. Hopefully, it won't cause rate increases with the rental car. I guess for late Jan early Feb I won't know for a few weeks.

I use the Rapids Rewards Dining. Register the two cards I use for eating out, when I hit one of the participating restaurants I get 4 points per dollar spent. Ended up with 50 points for getting lunch, plus what the CC gives me.

also keep in mind, the prices fluctuate according to how many you book at one time. it's a bit of work, and stressful, especially if you are trying to book the day they open. i sometimes have 5 on one reservation, and 2 on another just to get the best price. good luck
I just came in to ask a question related to this - I was wondering whether anyone's done this. So, for what I'm looking at, we're booking 4 tickets. There are 3 seats available at $167, if I go with all 4, they're $179. Our kids are 5 and 7.

What are any potential issues with booking 3 tickets on a reservation, then just 1 ticket on another? For $36 total savings, I was thinking it's probably too much of a headache and another variable that I don't know about any potential complications. What are some difficulties that this would create?

I just came in to ask a question related to this - I was wondering whether anyone's done this. So, for what I'm looking at, we're booking 4 tickets. There are 3 seats available at $167, if I go with all 4, they're $179. Our kids are 5 and 7.

What are any potential issues with booking 3 tickets on a reservation, then just 1 ticket on another? For $36 total savings, I was thinking it's probably too much of a headache and another variable that I don't know about any potential complications. What are some difficulties that this would create?
This is doable for sure. The biggest challenge will be getting boarding passes together unless you purchase EBCI for all. They can be close, especially if you open two Browsers.

Also, some of your party is eligible for family boarding.

I do it all the time. The only real "complication" is that you have two reservations and will have to check in separately for each one - not a big deal in my mind. It is unlikely your boarding positions will all be together (i.e. contiguous numbers), but they'll be close and it won't be a big deal during actual boarding (assuming you checkin right at the 24 hour mark or purchase EBCI).

Steve

I agree with pp I do it all of the time, and even reprice as well. You just have more than one check in, but its not too much work and worth the savings to me.

Just an FYI. When Flights opened up for December, I quickly booked. The first non stop flight out of Midway to Orlando was 7:05a so I grabbed it. A few weeks ago I got an email that our flight times changed for both flights, but by only 10 min so no biggie. Decided today to just double check that the flights still showed that they were NOT Max 8, all good. However, I also saw that they added an earlier flight out of Midway, non stop, at 5:50 am. Needless to say, I changed the 7:05a to the 5:50a. It looks like EBCI made it over to the new flight and no money changed hands. A win today!

Just an FYI. When Flights opened up for December, I quickly booked. The first non stop flight out of Midway to Orlando was 7:05a so I grabbed it. A few weeks ago I got an email that our flight times changed for both flights, but by only 10 min so no biggie. Decided today to just double check that the flights still showed that they were NOT Max 8, all good. However, I also saw that they added an earlier flight out of Midway, non stop, at 5:50 am. Needless to say, I changed the 7:05a to the 5:50a. It looks like EBCI made it over to the new flight and no money changed hands. A win today!

Yes this situation can be advantageous for sure. I booked a flight for 12/18 as it was significantly lower than the same flight on the next day. So I received an email notifying me that flight number had changed while actual flight was the same...this email also offered me an opportunity to rebook within a window at no extra charge. I looked and sure enough the 12/19 as well days even closer to Christmas Day which had much higher fares were now available for me to book with no additional fare increase. So I now have a fight which is exactly what I wanted for more than $200 less.

If I changed to a Southwest flight that was cheaper, do I receive a credit for the difference the next time I fly? Do I need to do anything to secure this credit?

If I changed to a Southwest flight that was cheaper, do I receive a credit for the difference the next time I fly? Do I need to do anything to secure this credit?
If you did not pay with points, you will receive a "banked" credit, which must be used (complete travel) within one year of original booking date. To use that credit, you will need to enter the original confirmation number on the payment page, as travel funds. Keep that number in a safe place!

If you booked with points, the points will automatically be deposited back into your account.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts