Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

There is now a banner appearing for some additional time frame of flights, allowing changes for no change in fare, for an additional month. If your flight is flagged with this banner, you will be allowed to change to a different date/flight meeting the parameters, at no additional cost. That policy previously allowed customers to change to a more expensive flight, at no additional cost, thru about Oct.1. So, if you booked a flight due to its lower cost, even though it was not your first choice for date, time, number of stops, etc., now is your chance to change, subject to availability. All of this is tied into the MAX 8 being grounded. You must have the banner showing when you go in to "change" a confirmed flight in order to be able to do the change at no fare difference.

You may change your trip date/time at no additional cost if you stay inside the restrictions below.
DEPART FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS
  • Departure airport must be: Orlando, FL - MCO
  • Arrival airport must be: XXXXX XXX
  • Travel dates are between: 10/XX/2019 to 11/XX/2019
Note: Changes made outside the conditions listed above will not be protected under our established reaccommodation practices and may result in a higher fare.

Southwest Airlines Reaccommodation Practices and Information:

• When Southwest Airlines® learns of events that may affect our flights' departures such as inclement conditions or airport anomalies that may hinder our Customers' abilities to get to/from a particular airport, we will offer Customers the opportunity to change their travel dates and/or flight times at no additional charge.
  • Even though Southwest® is offering the opportunity to make these changes, the Customer's original flight(s) may operate as scheduled, so changing travel dates and/or flight times is completely voluntary and not required.
  • Customers who would like to alter their travel plans may rebook in the original class of service (or fly standby) and travel must take place within 14 days of their original travel date between the original city pairs. (In some cases when a particular airport is affected, and Southwest® serves a "sister airport" or "co-terminal", we will offer the flexibility to depart from/arrive into an alternate airport. For example, if San Francisco International Airport is affected, Customers may be offered the opportunity to change to the San Jose or Oakland airports.)
  • Only Customers who purchased their ticket(s) on southwest.com are eligible to rebook via our online View or Change Your Flight service. All other Customers should call our toll-free number (800) 435-9792 for assistance.
  • If changes are made for travel outside the parameters of Southwest Airlines' reaccommodation practices, the changes are subject to the original fare restrictions and may result in a higher fare.
  • Customers who have booked a Business Select Fare may change to another flight with Business Select or may switch to an Anytime Fare when Business Select is unavailable.

Last edited:
If by stricter consequences you mean the passenger will not be able to board the scheduled flight and will have to be put on standby for the next flight, along with their luggage - then yes.

Possibly, but when standard advice is to arrive at the airport two hours before departure, it's unlikely to take more than an hour and 15 minutes to check luggage.
The comment you are quoting is more than 2 weeks old at this point :) don't take my lack of response personally :) :)

So I am going to Disney 9/27-10/2 booked on Southwest. I originally got the banner for my flight out (the last flight of the night) but ignored it because I just assumed it was an error. I didn’t realize until after reading these boards what it truly was. I’m now getting it for my return flight (the 5:30 am flight that was only 4K points).
Both of my original times work best for me.

Do you think that these flights will wind up being cancelled last minute? Due to work restrictions if my flights are delayed or cancelled I would prob have to cancel my trip entirely.

So I am going to Disney 9/27-10/2 booked on Southwest. I originally got the banner for my flight out (the last flight of the night) but ignored it because I just assumed it was an error. I didn’t realize until after reading these boards what it truly was. I’m now getting it for my return flight (the 5:30 am flight that was only 4K points).

Do you think that these flights will wind up being cancelled last minute? Due to work restrictions if my flights are delayed or cancelled I would prob have to cancel my trip entirely.
I can't see any reason why your flights would be cancelled. I've flown a couple of times since the MAX problems and have more flights booked for Sept. They did not change last night (which happened to a poster above) and I have no reason to think they'll be changed or cancelled.

If I were you I wouldn't give it another thought and just enjoy preparing for your trip. If something happens last minute it's out of your control but there's also nothing to say that if you change flights something can't happen to that one. No sense putting the cart before the horse.

There is now a banner appearing for some additional time frame of flights, allowing changes for no change in fare, for an additional month. If your flight is flagged with this banner, you will be allowed to change to a different date/flight meeting the parameters, at no additional cost. That policy previously allowed customers to change to a more expensive flight, at no additional cost, thru about Oct.1. So, if you booked a flight due to its lower cost, even though it was not your first choice for date, time, number of stops, etc., now is your chance to change, subject to availability. All of this is tied into the MAX 8 being grounded. You must have the banner showing when you go in to "change" a confirmed flight in order to be able to do the change at no fare difference.

You may change your trip date/time at no additional cost if you stay inside the restrictions below.
DEPART FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS
  • Departure airport must be: Orlando, FL - MCO
  • Arrival airport must be: XXXXX XXX
  • Travel dates are between: 10/XX/2019 to 11/XX/2019
Note: Changes made outside the conditions listed above will not be protected under our established reaccommodation practices and may result in a higher fare.

Southwest Airlines Reaccommodation Practices and Information:

• When Southwest Airlines® learns of events that may affect our flights' departures such as inclement conditions or airport anomalies that may hinder our Customers' abilities to get to/from a particular airport, we will offer Customers the opportunity to change their travel dates and/or flight times at no additional charge.
  • Even though Southwest® is offering the opportunity to make these changes, the Customer's original flight(s) may operate as scheduled, so changing travel dates and/or flight times is completely voluntary and not required.
  • Customers who would like to alter their travel plans may rebook in the original class of service (or fly standby) and travel must take place within 14 days of their original travel date between the original city pairs. (In some cases when a particular airport is affected, and Southwest® serves a "sister airport" or "co-terminal", we will offer the flexibility to depart from/arrive into an alternate airport. For example, if San Francisco International Airport is affected, Customers may be offered the opportunity to change to the San Jose or Oakland airports.)
  • Only Customers who purchased their ticket(s) on southwest.com are eligible to rebook via our online View or Change Your Flight service. All other Customers should call our toll-free number (800) 435-9792 for assistance.
  • If changes are made for travel outside the parameters of Southwest Airlines' reaccommodation practices, the changes are subject to the original fare restrictions and may result in a higher fare.
  • Customers who have booked a Business Select Fare may change to another flight with Business Select or may switch to an Anytime Fare when Business Select is unavailable.
I just did this since my flight was being changed to a crazy different time (landing after midnight - yikes!) So, I was able to adjust my departing flight differently too (to also leave at an earlier time) so I can hopefully avoid any more changes. I'm grateful there was no fee since I'm flying over the Columbus day holiday & there aren't a ton of flights left & those that are left are pricey!

My experiences—
In June I got the red banner offering flight changes if I wanted. I kept what I had and my flights were no problem.
Last night I received an email that both my flights had been changed. This morning I called and had them changed back to acceptable non stop flights.
I never got a banner just an email regarding both flights this time.
Two different experiences.
Good luck with whatever you choose. Hope you have a great vacation.

I hope this is a thread to post this. It isn't a question...more of an annoyance.

I purchased early bird for our WDW trip. Mainly because I am traveling with my elderly mother and I wanted to be certain we could get on early so she didn't have to struggle walking too far. I messed up purchasing the tickets- I got her an elderly fare when I could have just gotten the normal fare- so two separate reservations instead of one.

Two family members decided to tag along for the trip and also purchased early bird. Their tickets were purchased a couple of weeks after me and the other was purchase a good month, maybe a little more after me.

Today was "check in" day. I kept looking for something showing our boarding passes before and during the time,and nothing. Finally they appeared after I tried "check in". They then appeared. My mom was at 25 and us other four were at 54-57.
Family member who purchased 2 weeks after is 23.
Family member who purchased a month + is at 24. Both purchased early bird because I did.

This doesn't make sense to me. It doesn't matter as obviously the other family members can help my mom board, and at least my kids are with me, but it is the principle of it all. I paid for a service, and I don't think it worked. I called and they confirmed early bird was done by time stamp. I have the confirmation emails. Mine was sent 1/13 at 6:39 pm. My mother's was purchased at 1/21 at 11:12 am, most likely that is when I noticed I messed up buying her fare and she was a separate reservation (because I was giving the first family member our traveling info, which is the day she bought her ticket). I did not have the emails in front of me when I called.

Now I am worried for the return trip back, though.

Last edited:
I hope this is a thread to post this. It isn't a question...more of an annoyance.

I purchased early bird for our WDW trip. Mainly because I am traveling with my elderly mother and I wanted to be certain we could get on early so she didn't have to struggle walking too far. I messed up purchasing the tickets- I got her an elderly fare when I could have just gotten the normal fare- so two separate reservations instead of one.

Two family members decided to tag along for the trip and also purchased early bird. Their tickets were purchased a couple of weeks after me and the other was purchase a good month, maybe a little more after me.

Today was "check in" day. I kept looking for something showing our boarding passes before and during the time,and nothing. Finally they appeared after I tried "check in". They then appeared. My mom was at 25 and us other four were at 54-57.
Family member who purchased 2 weeks after is 23.
Family member who purchased a month + is at 24. Both purchased early bird because I did.

This doesn't make sense to me. It doesn't matter as obviously the other family members can help my mom board, and at least my kids are with me, but it is the principle of it all. I paid for a service, and I don't think it worked. I called and they confirmed early bird was done by time stamp. I have the confirmation emails. Mine was sent 1/13 at 6:39 pm. My mother's was purchased at 1/21 at 11:12 am, most likely that is when I noticed I messed up buying her fare and she was a separate reservation (because I was giving the first family member our traveling info, which is the day she bought her ticket). I did not have the emails in front of me when I called.

Now I am worried for the return trip back, though.
I always purchase Early Bird too and you are correct it makes no sense. You definitely should have had a higher number than the rest of your family since yours was purchased first.
Unless you changed a flight it would reset your early bird.
Did SW have an explanation for it?

At the time that I called, they told me it was time stamped. I did not have the emails out at the time to comment on that/tell them that mine was ordered before. It was so long ago, I didn't recall the exact way I did it. Do you think I should call back? What is helpful is that they ordered a wheelchair for my mom, so at least someone gets to go with her and we will just board regular.

It really is just the point that I paid for something and it didn't come as it should. I am just grateful to get my mom on with help.

Last edited:
At the time that I called, they told me it was time stamped. I did not have the emails out at the time to comment on that/tell them that mine was ordered before. It was so long ago, I didn't recall the exact way I did it. Do you think I should call back? What is helpful is that they ordered a wheelchair for my mom, so at least someone gets to go with her and we will just board regular.
It wouldn’t hurt to call back. Maybe they will refund the Early Bird. Obviously it didn’t work correctly. Yes you still barely got A boarding but you purchased way before all other family members. So technically it didn’t work as it should. If they go by time stamps.

Thanks- that is my thinking as well. I had called and asked if it was random or by date of purchase. that is when she said they went by the time stamp.

It really is just the point that I paid for something and it didn't come as it should. I am just grateful to get my mom on with help.
Any time a reservation is changed, it resets the clock. Sometimes, customers who purchased EBCI late get a break, when somebody cancels a reservation at the last minute and opens up their low boarding numbers to others.

You can "save" seats for the rest of your party. Though many customers look down on "saving seats," Southwest states that they neither do, nor do not, have any policy on seat-saving.

Sometimes, people think that purchasing EBCI assures an "A" boarding number; it does not. It only guarantees automatic check-in at T-36.

Thanks. That makes sense. Perhaps they got “moved up”. I knew it wasn’t a guarantee- just confused why my group got a late number. No worries- was just concerned with my mom and now she is set

It is not just the date/time that determines the boarding assignment. The price of the ticket is part of the equation as well. Your Mom's Senior fare was more than your WGA fare, so her placement will be before yours. Same thing with your other family members that booked after you - they probably paid a higher fare than you did, so their boarding number will also come before yours. The timestamp is applicable *within* a fare bracket - it doesn't take precedence over the fare.
From the SW website:
"Boarding positions are assigned based on the time stamp of the EarlyBird Check-In purchase relative to passengers within the same fare class."

Steve

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter