Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

First time I changed a flight for a lower fare and now have a credit to use. When using that credit to book a new flight, could I use a combination of points and travel credit? I might never end up using mine but figure hubs probably will when he wants to visit buddies in other states.

No, unfortunately.

Points bookings can only be booked using 100% points.

If you’re paying with any form of cash (credit card, travel fund, LUV voucher, etc.), you cannot use points.
@mfly is correct. However, you COULD use a credit to pay the $5.60 security fee if you have enough points to pay for the flight in full with points.

The credits will all be tied to that particular reservation number. So it becomes all 1 credit when you use it. Don’t forget tho that you must use it (not just book it) by the date you booked the original flight.

One thing to think about - the flight that you use the credit on will also retain the date of the original flight of the credit. So even if you use a $10 credit, the new flight will have the earlier date (the entire amount). May not be worth it if you are not 100% positive you will be using it. You will not have a year from the date of the new ticket purchase.

https://thepointsguy.com/2018/03/sw-travel-funds-mistake-story/

One thing to think about - the flight that you use the credit on will also retain the date of the original flight of the credit. So even if you use a $10 credit, the new flight will have the earlier date (the entire amount). May not be worth it if you are not 100% positive you will be using it. You will not have a year from the date of the new ticket purchase.

https://thepointsguy.com/2018/03/sw-travel-funds-mistake-story/

Not quite sure why you quoted me, but that is exactly what I said. The credits will still need to be used by the date the original flight was booked.

The poster I was answering wanted to know if it multiple credits would count as more than 1 payment method. And I also pointed out that all credits would retain the original date.

Last edited:
Not quite sure why you quoted me, but that is exactly what I said. The credits will still need to be used by the date the original flight was booked.

The poster I was answering wanted to know if it multiple credits would count as more than 1 payment method. And I also pointed out that all credits would retain the original date.

I was providing additional information that I don’t think people are aware of, that if you book a new ticket for a future date with the credits, the entire new ticket retains the date of the oldest credit even if the credit was a partial amount of the new ticket. Ive seen posts from people who got burned by that, they have a new ticket with a short expiration because they used a small credit.

Companion pass question: We have a companion pass until 2019.
If I booked a flight while still in 2019 but it was for a 2020 date, would I be able to use the companion pass option? Or would I need to pay?

Companion pass question: We have a companion pass until 2019.
If I booked a flight while still in 2019 but it was for a 2020 date, would I be able to use the companion pass option? Or would I need to pay?

This is my first experience with companion pass also. But my understanding is you must have a valid CP to fly free. And companion passes are valid for the calendar year, expiring at the end of the year unless status is renewed. My CP also expires after 2019. So after Dec 31, 2019, I can no longer fly free. Doesn’t matter when the flight was booked, only when it is taken. I expect to pay for any 2020 trip, no matter when I book it.

I doubt the CP option will even show up for flights after 12/31/19 (for us, since we won’t requalify).

We don't fly often, so I need some clarification on something. 4 tickets, so do we get 4 quart size bags of liquid items, Or is it limited to the number of carry on bags?
So if we have 2 carry on suitcases and 4 backpacks how many quart size bags do we get?

We don't fly often, so I need some clarification on something. 4 tickets, so do we get 4 quart size bags of liquid items, Or is it limited to the number of carry on bags?
So if we have 2 carry on suitcases and 4 backpacks how many quart size bags do we get?

One per person, does not depend on suitcases vs backpacks. So, 4 in this case. (Medications and baby formula are exempt from this rule.)

The liquid thing has nothing to do with airlines at all. It is TSA thing. And, you still have the 3 oz rule for item. TSA website will help.

With a release coming on Thursday...Here is my usual Historical Southwest Release Dates (for planning purposes) comment:

• NEXT RELEASE: 11/15/18 - travel through August 5th, 2019
  • 9/27/18 - travel through June 8th, 2019
  • 8/30/18 - travel through April 7th, 2019
  • 6/28/18 - travel through March 6th, 2019
  • 5/31/18 - travel through January 6th, 2019
  • 3/8/18 - travel through November 3rd, 2018
  • 2/15/18 - travel through October 1st, 2018
  • 11/2/17 - travel through August 6th, 2018
  • 8/28/17 - travel through June 1st, 2018
  • 7/27/17 - travel through April 6th, 2018
  • 6/22/17 - travel through March 7th, 2018
  • 5/18/17 - travel through January 7th, 2018
This could be useful to approximate when your travel time may become available for upcoming releases, however they don't always follow the exact same pattern (as you can see above). We should know the next release date Thursday - unfortunately if they follow last year’s pattern that next release may not occur for 3 months.

Any guesses as to when December airfare will open up?
The quote above lists historical data although there has been one or more releases since then. Also, the next release (Feb 7th) is only supposed to be releasing airfare up until Sep 2nd with is a departure from prior years that went into October flights.

So we decided to book with southwest. We typically don’t fly but decided to this time. My biggest worry is seating. There will be 7 of us 4 adults 3 kids. My kids will be 3,9,9 when we travel. How does this work I was told there was family seating but I’m not clear on what that means. I honestly don’t expect for us all to sit together. Even my 9yr old daughter would be fine sitting not directly by us (she loves chatting it up with people). My biggest concern is my boys. My 3yr old well bc he is 3. And my 9yr old son will have a panic attack if he isn’t by an adult he knows. I’m worried that I should have gotten early check in or something.

Also is anyone familiar with the Pittsburgh airport? Is it big? My needs a cane to walk and long distances wear her out. Are there wheel chairs you can use just at the airport? We will be renting one for the Disney parks but didn’t really think about the airports.

So we decided to book with southwest. We typically don’t fly but decided to this time. My biggest worry is seating. There will be 7 of us 4 adults 3 kids. My kids will be 3,9,9 when we travel. How does this work I was told there was family seating but I’m not clear on what that means. I honestly don’t expect for us all to sit together. Even my 9yr old daughter would be fine sitting not directly by us (she loves chatting it up with people). My biggest concern is my boys. My 3yr old well bc he is 3. And my 9yr old son will have a panic attack if he isn’t by an adult he knows. I’m worried that I should have gotten early check in or something.

Also is anyone familiar with the Pittsburgh airport? Is it big? My needs a cane to walk and long distances wear her out. Are there wheel chairs you can use just at the airport? We will be renting one for the Disney parks but didn’t really think about the airports.
Make sure that you attach a wheelchair request to the reservation for the person who uses a cane. That will allow that person + one additional member of your party to preboard, before all other passengers. Each child 6 years and under can board with one other family member, under Family Boarding, which is between the "A" boarding group (the first 60 or fewer customers to board, after preboards), and the next group, which is the "B" group. Your 9 year old son could board with the wheelchair passenger, and the 3 year old with an adult in Family Boarding. That leaves your 9 year old daughter and two adults left to board. You could purchase the "Early Bird" option for those three, which usually prices at $25 per person, each way, and which automatically checks you in with a preferred boarding number; or, just make sure to check in EXACTLY at 24 hours before scheduled departure. The EB option would be a good choice for you, especially if you don't fly often, and you want to make things easier. The sooner you purchase the EB, the better the boarding number you receive.

When you arrive at the airport, just let a skycap or Southwest agent know that you need a wheelchair. There should be a tip to the person who pushes the wheelchair to the gate, just like you tip skycaps for curbside check-in or baggage handling.

This can be a lot to handle. You can call Southwest, and they will gladly help you with all of these requests.

Enjoy your trip!

Great response @shoreward! I agree with all said and also recommend purchasing EBCI for the 3 remaining passengers who are not part of the family boarding or the 1 in a wheelchair plus the child boarding with them.

Once all have boarded and found seats, you can switch around so that the 9yo who is more timid can sit with a parent rather than with the person in the wheelchair if that would be more comfortable for him. Or, just have the person who will actually be sitting with the wheelchair family member enter with them and purchase the EBCI for 1 parent plus the 2 9yo's.

Make sure that you attach a wheelchair request to the reservation for the person who uses a cane. That will allow that person + one additional member of your party to preboard, before all other passengers. Each child 6 years and under can board with one other family member, under Family Boarding, which is between the "A" boarding group (the first 60 or fewer customers to board, after preboards), and the next group, which is the "B" group. Your 9 year old son could board with the wheelchair passenger, and the 3 year old with an adult in Family Boarding. That leaves your 9 year old daughter and two adults left to board. You could purchase the "Early Bird" option for those three, which usually prices at $25 per person, each way, and which automatically checks you in with a preferred boarding number; or, just make sure to check in EXACTLY at 24 hours before scheduled departure. The EB option would be a good choice for you, especially if you don't fly often, and you want to make things easier. The sooner you purchase the EB, the better the boarding number you receive.

When you arrive at the airport, just let a skycap or Southwest agent know that you need a wheelchair. There should be a tip to the person who pushes the wheelchair to the gate, just like you tip skycaps for curbside check-in or baggage handling.

This can be a lot to handle. You can call Southwest, and they will gladly help you with all of these requests.

Enjoy your trip!
Thanks! And I can add early checkin to my already purchased tickets??

Thanks! And I can add early checkin to my already purchased tickets??
You can add the Early Bird for as few or many as you like. No sense adding it for the preboards, as they are first on - before the EB customers. But, you can add for any of the others. Sometimes, the EB customers end up after the Family Boarding - there is no guaranty of what group or number they will get; it could be as low as A16 or anything higher. Again, the sooner you purchase EB, the lower (better) the number you'll get.

It can be tricky to find where to add EB to an existing reservation. I would just call Southwest at 800-435-9792 and have them add it for you;it will go quickly. Just have your confirmation numbers handy, if you call.

I'm sure the answer is going to be but figure it's worth asking.

Situation: Opening day I 'purchase' a flight using points. At a later date I want to change the flight to purchasing it using $$.

Will I pay the opening day price that the flight was offered at and the day I secured the flight using points or, would I need to pay the going rate in $$ on the day I change it to paying cash?

I'm guessing it's the latter but want to check.

I'm keeping an eye out for mid-September flights that won't be out until sometime after Feb 7th. At the same time I'm looking for prices for flights at our local airport that is 90 mins closer than the airport I need to fly out of if I fly with SW.

The delayed offering of September flights will work in my favour as it will give me extra time to watch for price drops.

I'm sure the answer is going to be but figure it's worth asking.

Situation: Opening day I 'purchase' a flight using points. At a later date I want to change the flight to purchasing it using $$.

Will I pay the opening day price that the flight was offered at and the day I secured the flight using points or, would I need to pay the going rate in $$ on the day I change it to paying cash?

I'm guessing it's the latter but want to check.

I'm keeping an eye out for mid-September flights that won't be out until sometime after Feb 7th. At the same time I'm looking for prices for flights at our local airport that is 90 mins closer than the airport I need to fly out of if I fly with SW.

The delayed offering of September flights will work in my favour as it will give me extra time to watch for price drops.

It depends; if you cancel out your original reservation, that seat (fare bucket) may go back into open inventory for another customer to purchase, if general fares did not change. Otherwise, you pay the fare at time of purchase, in real time - you can't convert from a previous points purchase to a cash purchase. It's a completely new transaction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter