Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

That's one thing that is frustrating. If you pay even a small portion of ticket with an old credit the expiration date for the entire ticket is the expiration date of the oldest credit. I also wish they would just group all the credits together. I recently rolled over a bunch of little credits into three different tickets to combine them. It took a little effort but well worth it to make sure I can use all the credits before they expire.
I was going to do that but I would have a new $85 credit generated with the same Jan. 5 expiration date. I guess I would "save" $20 in credits that way but likely pointless. I guess I learned this lesson today.

It's from when you originally purchased your plane ticket. It doesn't have to do with how old your oldest credit is. At least they give you credits back rather than you just eating the cost of paying a higher plane ticket.

Again they are based off of when you purchased your original plane ticket. If they grouped them all together they would have to change their policy on expiration dates. The way they do it now with the confirmation numbers is how they keep track of your credits. Grouping them together would only work for those who travel one time in a 365 day period from the date of their original purchase of the plane ticket. If you fly more than that and have travel funds from more than one flight then grouping them together wouldn't work under the current policy.

I believe you can extend your travel funds for something like $100 fee which is taken out of the balance of the travel funds? Don't know if that is still the case.
Yes, they told me about the extension idea but that would give them $3 in credits.

Travel funds expire within 1 year of original purchase date of the airline ticket. It doesn't matter if you've rebooked multiple times to get a lower rate because your time period to use them is always from 1 year of original purchase date of the ticket..that's the date you have to keep in mind rather than thinking about it from the date you rebooked at the lower rate.
I purchased a ticket for July on Jan. 5... I rebooked the July ticket on July 2 for a lower rate and had travel funds. I used those travel funds for my Dec. 20 ticket.. I thought the date would be July 2 and not Jan. 5. Lesson learned the hard way...

I purchased a ticket for July on Jan. 5... I rebooked the July ticket on July 2 for a lower rate and had travel funds. I used those travel funds for my Dec. 20 ticket.. I thought the date would be July 2 and not Jan. 5. Lesson learned the hard way...

Sorry it worked out like that for you. I also have some leftover credits that have to be used by Feb so I think I'm going to just add a quick weekend trip somewhere to use them but I know not everyone has that option as it usually incurs additional costs for hotels/food or a higher priced flight.

You're welcome Baby Potato Head...and yes I just wanted to say Baby Potato Head. I giggle a little each time I say it...
You are the expert! The answer is probably here somewhere but could you help me? We have round trip tickets booked to Fort Lauderdale for a cruise. I booked using all points- friends booked using a gift card and charge. My question- the flight down has gone down $67 per person, the return flight is sold out!- can we get a refund for the outbound flight without touching the return flight? We booked online. TIA!!

You are the expert! The answer is probably here somewhere but could you help me? We have round trip tickets booked to Fort Lauderdale for a cruise. I booked using all points- friends booked using a gift card and charge. My question- the flight down has gone down $67 per person, the return flight is sold out!- can we get a refund for the outbound flight without touching the return flight? We booked online. TIA!!
You should be able to - go into the "change flight" screen and it should let you select only one leg. Before confirming it should show you how many points you'll be refunded.

Question about change credits. If I book a trip on Southwest and then change the trip to a cheaper fare at a later time, with wanna get away fares, will they credit my credit card or give me travel credit through them?

Question about change credits. If I book a trip on Southwest and then change the trip to a cheaper fare at a later time, with wanna get away fares, will they credit my credit card or give me travel credit through them?
They’ll issue a travel credit (even if you booked with a SW credit card). The travel credit will expire 1 year from the original date of booking (not travel).

If you book with points, your points just go back to your points bank.

abc Channel 12 News is stating the Southwest is saying good bye to Flint, Michigan - Bishop International airport(FNT).
June 6,2018.
Sad , people always packed at the gates. More so than the other airlines there.
Well that would make sense then why I can’t find any flights for our trip on June 9th...erg!! Really disappointed in the options out of Grand Rapids and Detroit.

Last edited:
Well that would make sense then why I can’t find any flights for our trip on June 9th...erg!! Really disappointed in the options out of Grand Rapids and Detroit.

We loved the non stop options from flint and GR, now it looks like GR is down to 1 per week most of the year. Boo SWA, boo!

Are the number of WGA fares that SW assigns to each flight based on % of seats, or pretty much just random or marketing driven based on history? I was surprised that one of the return flights I was interested in filled their WGA seats within 24 hours of their release, since it's returning to a smaller city. There are around 12 other flights, some of which are nonstop, that are still available. Caught me off guard, so I'm snoozing and losing.

Are the number of WGA fares that SW assigns to each flight based on % of seats, or pretty much just random or marketing driven based on history? I was surprised that one of the return flights I was interested in filled their WGA seats within 24 hours of their release, since it's returning to a smaller city. There are around 12 other flights, some of which are nonstop, that are still available. Caught me off guard, so I'm snoozing and losing.

I am certainly no expert since I only fly on vacations 2 or 3 times a year, but I can give you my experience with the WGA fares disappearing. We fly Buffalo to Orlando. We flew SW in May & have upcoming trips in December & April.

For both the May & December trips, I did not book on opening day. While I was watching for fares I was comfortable with, I saw most WGA fares listed as sold out/ not available for our dates. This was several months before our trips both times. I couldn't believe that so many flights from Buffalo could be sold out that far in advance. At the same time, other posters were reporting the same thing. So I started checking flights to & from other random cities for the same dates & I noticed that most cities I checked had the same thing showing. I randomly checked probably 12-15 other cities & all showed a majority of their flights with unavailable WGA fares. I kept watching & several weeks later, all the WGA fares came back -- to Buffalo & all the other cities I had checked. This happened for both our May & December trips. I eventually got round trips for both trips booked with WGA fares that were even lower than opening day prices. Non stop flights too.

For our trip next April, I booked our fares on opening day a few weeks ago. But of course, I am still keeping an eye on rates. When I checked a few days ago, I noticed that again, many of the flights are showing WGA as sold out. This is for April 14 & 21, so 2 weeks after Easter & school breaks in our area. I also checked several other cities & again, every city I checked has many flights without WGA fares.

At this point, I am thinking this is SW's new way of doing business. Their way to scare people into booking @ higher prices fares or less popular flights. If you have time & patience, I wouldn't be surprised to see the WGA fares return to your flights.

SW has a certain number of WGA seats and within those seats they have a certain amount listed at the cheapest price, more expensive, and even more. For example, 15 WGA seats are available and they are listed as $150. They sell 5 of those seats and the price increases to $175. Then 5 more seats are sold and price goes to $200 - after the last 5 seats are sold then the WGA shows 'sold out'. This is a hypothetical scenario.

So, yes it is best to buy your tickets as soon as they are released since the price will go up as more seats are sold. But, if they aren't selling the more expensive tickets they can push more seats available to the WGA.

We are flying out of Boston the day after the marathon and I waited 1 week after my husband's registration date (to confirm his spot) and the price went up over $70 for our tickets :(. All of the WGA tickets are now sold out and I don't expect more to be released.

I noticed that the flights from the West Coast to MCO went up again :(. Each time new flights have been released it has gone up. But, I able to book a new nonstop flight to/from SMF/MCO for a surprisingly low amount of points for 5 people. I would have thought that the nonstop flights would have been more $ than the flights with connections - is this because they are new?

I have noticed that the tickets seem to selling quickly for WGA so if anyone needs to get tickets I would do it sooner than later.

We have never flown Southwest and I have a question about their "Wanna get away" fare. We plan on going over our spring break, however since I am a teacher and live in upstate NY there is always the possibility of losing part of our break due to snow days. This is why we are planning to fly southwest out of Rochester or Buffalo so if needed we can reschedule for summer. My understanding is the fare is not refundable, but can be changed if needed. We found a flight out of Buffalo at a decent price, however my husband would prefer that we fly out of Rochester (45 min. closer). My 1st question ~ If I book the BUF flight, but then find a reasonable ROC flight can we switch, or do you still have to fly out of the original airport you booked out of? Any advice or insight is appreciated. Thanks so much!

My 1st question ~ If I book the BUF flight, but then find a reasonable ROC flight can we switch, or do you still have to fly out of the original airport you booked out of? Any advice or insight is appreciated. Thanks so much!

You're correct in that the fare is not refundable. if you need to reschedule, you have 2 choices:
1) cancel the existing flight, get the credit (which is attached to the original confirmation number, so make note of that somewhere), then book a new flight using the credit.
OR
2) you can just change the existing reservation to something else.

In either case, you can change airports. The only thing you cannot change is the person flying - all credits are associated with the original passenger and can only be used for a flight for that person.

Sounds like you're probably aware of this, but credits must be used (trip completed) within one year of the original PURCHASE date, not the date of the original flight.

One of the great things about SWA is the ease with which you can make changes.

Steve

Hello! We have been away from WDW for a while; our last trip was June 2015. We are planning a Thanksgiving break trip in 2018. I am wondering if people had opinions, in general, about TG week fares on SW. We would be flying out of Chicago. I am wondering if it makes sense to wait for those fares to come out. Are they significantly better than fares on the other airlines?

I booked our return flight and now a later flight is the same price so I'm thinking about switching it. I bought EBC for the return flight, do I keep it if I change flights? I am not canceling, but just modifying it. I think I do, but want to check with the experts before making the change.

I booked our return flight and now a later flight is the same price so I'm thinking about switching it. I bought EBC for the return flight, do I keep it if I change flights? I am not canceling, but just modifying it. I think I do, but want to check with the experts before making the change.

If you change the reservation, you will not lose EBCI. If you cancel and rebook, you will lose EBCI.

Steve

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!