(post 9/11) coolers as luggage on flight?

BWVDenise

I believe in something, I just don't know what it
We did this prior to 9/11 and were wondering if it is still acceptable. We checked our cooler, filled with frozen & cold food items and duct taped it closed. We checked it curbside (USAir) and it was okay as long as there was no dry ice in it.
Has anyone done this recently or had a problem doing it recently?

I would call your airline and check. If they want to check the contents, it might be bad news for the cooler since you use duct tape.

We had a cooler which we purchased in Orlando on our return flight in May that we used to store all of our shoes. We waited to tape it until the ticket agent had a chance to inspect the contents. I'm not sure if that's the way that it's always done, but we figured it would be easier than taping and untaping.

Can it withstand jostling?

Pitchers or cups of drink will spill, whether on the conveyors as checked baggage or after the X-ray machine for carry on. So long as all the containers are sealed, such as unopened bottles and cans, you should be OK.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

Alert! Rumor has it that new security regulations (TSA reg's) will forbid open drinks through the security checkpoints. And also, sandwiches or styrofoam plates or other food can get smashed by the next suitcase coming through the X-ray machines. So avoid bringing food to the airport for eating on board the plane unless inside a sturdy box, and don't buy cups of coffee in advance.

seashore, the same thing happened to my daughter and niece when they were leaving for Disney Cruise. BOTH had just bought two HOT cups of coffee to wake up with... and also had a cup of juice for my nephew (age 5). They made both Jacqui & Cheri leave their coffee but let Kyle have his juice.... Their reasoning?? They could see through the juice and knew there wasn't anything in the cup...

Sounds like a good safety measure... just WISH someone had TOLD them BEFORE they bought the coffee.

:p

just giving this one more chance in hopes of someone recently having done this...

Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter