Post 2016 Marathon Weekend / Training in 2016

IamTrike

DIS Veteran
Like a lot of people I'm said to see the marathon weekend thread wind down. Both because I'll miss the lively banter, and also because I really enjoyed the encouragement and accountability that came from that thread.

Just watching other people post about their accomplishments and training is always an encouragement and motivator for me.

What kind of training plan are you going to try using this year?

I'm thinking I am going to try and do 1 or 2 cycles of Hanson's training plan in 2016. It seems really daunting though. Tried my first run after Goofy today but wound up quitting after two miles on the treadmill. Work stuff was weighing on me heavily. I'm hoping to knock that stuff out then maybe I'll try and get a couple more miles in this afternoon.

Anyone else struggle with running motivation post race?

I don't know what my 2016 training will be like because I don't know when my next race is. I hope to be back for marathon weekend next year but that's not definite and I'd like to do a Disneyland race eventually.

I am planning on signing up for the Houston Chevron Marathon for next Jan as soon as it opens on Sunday afternoon.

Right now, I have a half in 3 weeks and a Qtr marathon the weekend after that. I also have a half scheduled late March. I might sign up for a couple 10 milers as well.

A large number from my running club is running the Houston marathon on Sunday, so I will go out and cheer them on with the lovely 40 degree weather they are predicting for the race.

Did 5 miles yesterday for my first post-goofy run, and felt pretty decent. Probably go for 10-12 on Saturday.

I need to look at other plans. I have been using a plan developed from one of the coaches from the running club for the last two years, and has worked ok for me. If I ever get a marathon with really nice weather, it might work well. 3 of my 4 marathons have been like last Sunday, very warm and humid.

My first experience of Marathon weekend was very exciting, even though I only ran the Half. I PR'd from February though which is great since I only started running about a year and half ago! 2016 is going to be my big year. I have the GSC in February coming up so I've got about 5 weeks of back-to-back runs. My next schedule run in PDC for Tink in May but I hope to sign up for some races in between that. I'm also hoping to get into the Army 10 miler in October and possibly do the Space Coast Half in November. Last year started my passion for running and now I can't stop! Today is my first attempt at a run since the Half so we'll see how that goes :banana:

Does anyone know when the Chicago marathon lottery sign up begins?
Hoping to do Chicago or another round of MCM this year plus OBX.

I'm definitely in a bit of a running funk right now. That's why DH and I have decided we will probably go for marathon weekend in 2017 since we really missed being there this year. We are eyeing a half marathon the first weekend in April, Bentonville, AR. I really need to get a race on the calendar to keep myself going.

We follow Galloway training roughly. We had a good 4 mile run this morning and planning on 6-8 this weekend.

I'm thinking I am going to try and do 1 or 2 cycles of Hanson's training plan in 2016. It seems really daunting though.

Although I wasn't at marathon weekend, I hope I'm still allowed to post here.

I am currently on week 5 of the Hansons Half Marathon Advanced Program as I gear up for the Star Wars Dark Side Challenge. This is my first time trying one of the Hansons plans, but so far, I am really liking it. The only downside is that, given that you are constantly running, if you miss a day or two, the missed miles can add up quickly. This last weekend, I came down with a fever/body aches/bad sore throat and was out for two days (luckily that was all). In those two days, I missed a total of 14 miles of training. Per Hansons, if you only miss a day or two, you just skip the workouts and continue with the plan, so that is what I did, but I really don't like that I am 14 miles behind.

After the Star Wars Dark Side Challenge (April 16-17th), I have nothing planned yet, but I'm sure I will at some point.

I just got an MRI on my knee and the doc will look at it next week. Depending on how that turns out, I might get the scope or nothing at all. Right now my knee feels pretty good. Assuming I don't need surgery, I'm planning on trying for that sub 1:40 half again in March, then running the Maine Coast Marathon in May (and trying for sub 3:40 there), and then a small marathon in the Fall, somewhere in New England (right now the Green Mountain Marathon is top of the list). Still eating and up to 185 for those who are counting.

I don't struggle getting motivated to train post-race; my usual problem is trying to run too much too soon. But I do struggle with getting my eating back under control after the post-race food binge.

Like a lot of people I'm said to see the marathon weekend thread wind down. Both because I'll miss the lively banter, and also because I really enjoyed the encouragement and accountability that came from that thread.

Just watching other people post about their accomplishments and training is always an encouragement and motivator for me.

I'm thinking I am going to try and do 1 or 2 cycles of Hanson's training plan in 2016. It seems really daunting though. Tried my first run after Goofy today but wound up quitting after two miles on the treadmill. Work stuff was weighing on me heavily. I'm hoping to knock that stuff out then maybe I'll try and get a couple more miles in this afternoon.

I'm giving myself until Saturday to recover from the Goofy. I just signed up for the Tobacco Road Half Marathon to provide a little more training urgency than Dark Side. My goal is to be back to full running by Tobacco Road. It's been frustrating running 13mm instead of my normal 9-10mm. The Higdon plans have worked great for me, so I plan to stick with them for the foreseeable future. In the meantime, I've just been trying to get 2-3 mile walks in to keep the legs loose while I try to shed the soreness of my first marathon.

I need to look at other plans. I have been using a plan developed from one of the coaches from the running club for the last two years, and has worked ok for me. If I ever get a marathon with really nice weather, it might work well. 3 of my 4 marathons have been like last Sunday, very warm and humid.

What group are you running with in Houston? I used to live and coach there and would be happy to give you some recommendations.

My focus this year is on IM Florida in November. That's my A race this year, everything else is secondary. That said, I do have a few things planned along the way - Galveston 70.3 and Star Wars in April, Medoc marathon and DL Paris half in Sept, and maybe the Abu Dhabi ITU tri in early March. I think most of my training time this year will be spent on my bike on my trainer watching movies or riding in Zwift.

I don't know what my 2016 training will be like because I don't know when my next race is. I hope to be back for marathon weekend next year but that's not definite and I'd like to do a Disneyland race eventually.
With registration not till April, I don't think anyone's definite for Marathon weekend 2017 yet. Disneyland is great. I hope you get a chance to do a race out there. I really liked Dumbo this year. the 10k at Disneyland is one of my favorite courses because of the percentage of the race that's in the park.

My first experience of Marathon weekend was very exciting, even though I only ran the Half. I PR'd from February though which is great since I only started running about a year and half ago! 2016 is going to be my big year. I have the GSC in February coming up so I've got about 5 weeks of back-to-back runs. My next schedule run in PDC for Tink in May but I hope to sign up for some races in between that. I'm also hoping to get into the Army 10 miler in October and possibly do the Space Coast Half in November. Last year started my passion for running and now I can't stop! Today is my first attempt at a run since the Half so we'll see how that goes :banana:
Hope the run today goes well. Good luck during GSC. Sounds like you're getting to do all the Disney Races.

Does anyone know when the Chicago marathon lottery sign up begins?
Hoping to do Chicago or another round of MCM this year plus OBX.

I did Chicago last year. It's lottery seems much easier than NY. Good luck. OBX is a really fun Marathon. I really like the first half of that course and I like the finish into Manteo.

Although I wasn't at marathon weekend, I hope I'm still allowed to post here.

I am currently on week 5 of the Hansons Half Marathon Advanced Program as I gear up for the Star Wars Dark Side Challenge. This is my first time trying one of the Hansons plans, but so far, I am really liking it. The only downside is that, given that you are constantly running, if you miss a day or two, the missed miles can add up quickly. This last weekend, I came down with a fever/body aches/bad sore throat and was out for two days (luckily that was all). In those two days, I missed a total of 14 miles of training. Per Hansons, if you only miss a day or two, you just skip the workouts and continue with the plan, so that is what I did, but I really don't like that I am 14 miles behind.

After the Star Wars Dark Side Challenge (April 16-17th), I have nothing planned yet, but I'm sure I will at some point.
I'm pretty sure everyone's allowed here.

Hanson's is definitely the "I am always running plan". With running 6 days a week the miles really add up. All that training really does work.

I'm giving myself until Saturday to recover from the Goofy. I just signed up for the Tobacco Road Half Marathon to provide a little more training urgency than Dark Side. My goal is to be back to full running by Tobacco Road. It's been frustrating running 13mm instead of my normal 9-10mm. The Higdon plans have worked great for me, so I plan to stick with them for the foreseeable future. In the meantime, I've just been trying to get 2-3 mile walks in to keep the legs loose while I try to shed the soreness of my first marathon.

I just built out my training plan for tobacco road yesterday. It was crazy to see how close it is. I think I'm basically just dropping back into the last 8 weeks of the Hanson's advanced plan. I'm hoping to PR TR but I am a little nervous. I've heard the last 6 miles are slightly uphill even though they advertise it as a downhill finish. I may see you there.

What group are you running with in Houston? I used to live and coach there and would be happy to give you some recommendations.

My focus this year is on IM Florida in November. That's my A race this year, everything else is secondary. That said, I do have a few things planned along the way - Galveston 70.3 and Star Wars in April, Medoc marathon and DL Paris half in Sept, and maybe the Abu Dhabi ITU tri in early March. I think most of my training time this year will be spent on my bike on my trainer watching movies or riding in Zwift.
I'm quite envious of your Medoc/DL paris combo.

I usually do, but this time I'm exactly the opposite - the races renewed the motivation I had lost before the race.
I'm still trying to figure out my race and training schedule for the year. I was hoping to do the Disneyland Half in September, but I need a few kinda major things to work themselves out before I can do that. So we'll see if I end up making it out there. If I don't, I have to decide if I want to wait until 2017 for my first half or if I want to do something local (I was considering the Hershey Half as a replacement, but the timing is terrible for me, so I'll have to find another plan).
I do know that I want to do more local races, but we'll see how that works out.

Following Hanson's philosophies again in training for my marathon in May. It's just a logistical practice marathon for me, as my A race is Chicago (if I get in, in October). The goal is to run Lakefront last year and Chicago this year, to decide which course I like better for my 1st BQ attempt in Fall 2017. Right now I'm off from running for two weeks after the Dopey Challenge, so I don't start running again until 1/25/16. I'll post a very detailed explanation of how I'm creating my custom training plan in my new journal sometime between now and 1/25/16.

Cypress Running Club in NW Houston. Most of our group runs are out of Cole's Crossing. We make an occasional trip down to Memorial for a change of scenery.

I'm definitely in a bit of a running funk right now. That's why DH and I have decided we will probably go for marathon weekend in 2017 since we really missed being there this year. We are eyeing a half marathon the first weekend in April, Bentonville, AR. I really need to get a race on the calendar to keep myself going.

We follow Galloway training roughly. We had a good 4 mile run this morning and planning on 6-8 this weekend.

This is exactly what happened to me after running the 2015 WDW Marathon. So I ran a bunch of half marathons, a 10K and some 5Ks last year and did fine, but didn't really train much for those. I sort of trained for a sprint triathlon last summer and absolutely loved it, but that's just a summer thing in my climate! I'm doing the Glass Slipper Challenge next month with my oldest son. I'm really excited about running with him, but I'll have to slow down to his pace, so it doesn't require the same kind of training I've done in the past.
In the end, I think I loved the 2015 Marathon so much that the half marathons are just less exciting now. So I need a new challenge, and I think Dopey 2017 is it!

For the most part, I am following Galloway's plan for my upcoming races which are GSC in Feb and Dark Side Challenge in April. Will try to get in W&D '16 and thinking Goofy '17. #Iloveanniversarybling

Ive got gasparilla and the amber challenge up next with excalibur 10 miler then dark side to round off the season.. Still debating on fall races besides space coast half in nov then donald again in Jan:)

I popped a tendon in my foot/toe at mile 25 of the full to close out Dopey, so that's made me rethink quite a bit of 2016 going forward.

I've got GSC and the 5k up next, but after Dopey, I'm just going to take those as ultimate fun runs.

My first "big girl" race is the NYC Half and I have some pretty serious time aspirations for both that race and Cowtown. Hopefully this injury won't hamper me so I can meet those goals, which will help my corral situation for Dopey/Goofy in 2017.

I popped a tendon in my foot/toe at mile 25 of the full to close out Dopey, so that's made me rethink quite a bit of 2016 going forward.

I've got GSC and the 5k up next, but after Dopey, I'm just going to take those as ultimate fun runs.

My first "big girl" race is the NYC Half and I have some pretty serious time aspirations for both that race and Cowtown. Hopefully this injury won't hamper me so I can meet those goals, which will help my corral situation for Dopey/Goofy in 2017.
Wow. That's a bummer. How long will it take for your foot to heal?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts