Possible Vacation - Need Input

pezgirlroy

DIS Veteran
So am a lurker on this board but regular reader/contributor on the cruise board. I hope you don't mind turning to the masses for an opinion. My husband and I are thinking of going on a week long vacation this summer. My oldest will be at summer camp (with my mother in law right down the street in case there is an emergency and it takes us a bit day or so to get to her). My parents have offered to watch/stay with our toddler. We have left them before but with my parents. Not with one at camp. So I am dealing with guilt and anxiety but at the same time def. want to go. We are in the New England area. It would be end of July. My husband wants to do Italy but I am thinking a bit too far and really busy in the summer. So this is where I look for advice: would you go and if yes where would you suggest we go? :) Thanks.

I would have no problem going to New England, but I don’t think I could go to Italy. It sounds like you have your ducks in a row, so go and have a great time!

Yes I would go on vacation! I'm not sure I'd go to Europe and leave my toddler in the US. For me, that's a little too far and too prone to complications (more difficult plane connections if something gets cancelled, etc.) But I would definitely go somewhere fun without any guilt!
So where to go...
That totally depends on what you like? M aybe Napa (thinking of wine trips, since you suggested Italy...)

So am a lurker on this board but regular reader/contributor on the cruise board. I hope you don't mind turning to the masses for an opinion. My husband and I are thinking of going on a week long vacation this summer. My oldest will be at summer camp (with my mother in law right down the street in case there is an emergency and it takes us a bit day or so to get to her). My parents have offered to watch/stay with our toddler. We have left them before but with my parents. Not with one at camp. So I am dealing with guilt and anxiety but at the same time def. want to go. We are in the New England area. It would be end of July. My husband wants to do Italy but I am thinking a bit too far and really busy in the summer. So this is where I look for advice: would you go and if yes where would you suggest we go? :) Thanks.
I say yes! My husband and I celebrated our 10th anniversary in Disney World without kids last summer. It was amazing! It’s one thing to be there with your kids, but it’s another to be there with your love ACTING like kids!

Yes I would go on vacation! I'm not sure I'd go to Europe and leave my toddler in the US. For me, that's a little too far and too prone to complications (more difficult plane connections if something gets cancelled, etc.) But I would definitely go somewhere fun without any guilt!
So where to go...
That totally depends on what you like? M aybe Napa (thinking of wine trips, since you suggested Italy...)
We have done it before. We had a wedding in Mexico last year and my parents watched both girls. Youngest was 1 at the time. I just worry more about the one at camp. :)

Yes, I would go. Your parents raised you and your husband's parents raised him, apparently successfully. They are now even more experienced at parrenting. All the grandparents are willing and able to watch or be near+plus responsible for your children.

Print and complete two of these https://www.lawdepot.com/contracts/medical-consent-form/?loc=US#.XDOQTt9OlTs

Your husband wants to go to Italy? Go to Italy!

I say yes! My husband and I celebrated our 10th anniversary in Disney World without kids last summer. It was amazing! It’s one thing to be there with your kids, but it’s another to be there with your love ACTING like kids!

I agree with this. WDW is a completely different vacation without kids. DH and I went in December and had so much fun!

Yes, I would go. Your parents raised you and your husband's parents raised him, apparently successfully. They are now even more experienced at parrenting. All the grandparents are willing and able to watch or be near+plus responsible for your children.

Print and complete two of these https://www.lawdepot.com/contracts/medical-consent-form/?loc=US#.XDOQTt9OlTs

Your husband wants to go to Italy? Go to Italy!
Thank you. I think this was the push I needed. We actually already have those. :) But Italy at the end of July. That might be too much for me. I was thinking Iceland.

Definitely go!

Italy doesn’t really appeal to me, so I won’t make suggestions on where as I believe we have very different tastes. But, absolutely go!!!

My son and daughter in law went to Iceland with their family and friends the last week of July last year. They loved it, and the photos were beautiful, just gorgeous. The flights there were reasonable, but it is quite expensive otherwise. They used and AirBnb for lodging and rented a large van for travel and they loved it, but said even the food was pricey. I really want to go there! I will note that it was not warm, and they had on their heavier parkas, hats and gloves most of the time, but if you have the money i really think its worth considering.

My son and daughter in law went to Iceland with their family and friends the last week of July last year. They loved it, and the photos were beautiful, just gorgeous. The flights there were reasonable, but it is quite expensive otherwise. They used and AirBnb for lodging and rented a large van for travel and they loved it, but said even the food was pricey. I really want to go there! I will note that it was not warm, and they had on their heavier parkas, hats and gloves most of the time, but if you have the money i really think its worth considering.
I was def. thinking Iceland because there are direct flights from Boston.

Go! Take a cruise! You could leave out of Boston, NY or NJ. Bermuda is beautiful and would be fun and not far at all.

Since you would be going at the end of July, I would choose Iceland or another "cold" country. We've been to WDW in July -- way too hot and steamy. Italy would also be too hot and crowded. My first choice would be Alaska.

As for leaving the kids behind, DMIL was an amazing grandma, and spoiled my kids big time!

If you like to cruise and you're thinking about Europe, I'd consider a river cruise. DW and I did a 7-night Rhine River cruise on Avalon Waterways and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I wouldn't go to Italy for a week....too little time to deal with the inconvenience of jet lag. But, that's just me. I"d have NO problem going away under the circumstances you describe, but I'd do something where the travel didn't eat into so much of my limited time.

This! Pick a destination you're both interested in, in or out of the country, and have fun. Everyone needs a break from their kids with their significant other at some point, might as well take advantage of it and go somewhere great. Have a fun!

Having been to Italy, it is the most amazing place I've ever been! I can provide reasonable accommodation recommendations in Florence and Venice, although I don't think I'd do Venice in the summer because the smell of the canals could be very off-putting.

Florence had the best food I've ever eaten and I got within 5 feet of the Pope during his audience. Plan to be in Rome on Wednesday so you can get to see him at the weekly audience. I can provide specifics if you want to IM me.

Furthermore, I would go in a heartbeat and not feel guilty. My parents left us with our grandparents when we were little to go to London and it didn't scar us. Your DD will be at camp, having fun with her friends, so she shouldn't care much. You can all download the What's App so you can communicate via phone and text, for free, while you're connected to WiFi.

I would totally do a vacation with dh. Europe from New England isn’t much longer than flying to CA. I love Italy but it’s crowded and obscenely hot in summer. What about Ireland? Such an easy flight from Boston.

A river cruise down the Seine is amazing. I love Ireland in July the most. Great weather, amazing country, and not the madhouse Italy is in the summer. Seriously...I hated Italy in the summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter