• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Possible one-day solo trip; what do I need to know?

HunnyPots

DIS Veteran<br><font color=purple>The Tag Fairy is
OK - I've been to WDW twice but never been to Disneyland. DH has a convention at the Anaheim Convention Center Jan. 31- Feb. 1 and I am thinking of tagging along and going to DL while he is stuck at the exposition hall all day.

Since my time is very limited, I will stick to DL and save CA for another trip when I have more time.

I will be at the park by 10:00 am on Tues. Jan 31 and stay till closing. What will I be able to see and do in that amount of time? What kind of itinerary would allow me to make the most of my day?

About Downtown Disney, how does it compare to the one at WDW? I'm thinking DH might join me there after park closing if it would be worthwhile.

Any and all advice is appreciated! Thanks!

I think that since it is New Years Eve it will be very crowded. You might not get much done.
But I would go get a fastpass when you first get there.. One for Rodger Rabbit, and one for Space, or Splash MT as they fill up the quickest.
I think by the time you get there most highly sought after rides (fantasyland) will be very buzy.. but will only get busier. I would make a list of the rides you want to go on the most.
Eat Lunch at 11 or after 1 to avoid the rush.
If you don't mind missing parades. I would do tomorrowland and Fantasyland during the parade times.
Keep up with fastpasses and ride the big rides, Splash, RR, Space, Indy ETC at night. Write down which ones go first and get those first.
if you want him to meet you I bet it will be packed, so pick a specific place.. I would meet at a sitdown restaurant or ESPN Zone. There is a list on the Disney.com website. If at a restaurant make reservations asap, same if you want to eat at a sit down in Disneyland.
Read up on where the best viewing is for Fantasmic and the SECOND fireworks show.

Have fun, it will be very buzy I suspect, just take it easy and shop, or do less congested rides (Pooh, Tom Sawyer's Island etc) when the crowds are overwhelming.

Ummm... no, it won't be New Years Eve. It will be January 31.

AH LOL, with all my holiday prep I read it four times and still.. misread! ROFL

Ok .....
disregard very buzy. ;)
I would head to Fantasyland first though still (if you want to ride those rides.. otherwise focus on the bigger ones and ride the Matterhorn first), and get fastpasses on the way there from Space mt... also if you want to ride Roger Rabbit in Toontown as it is not connected to the same system :)
I would do all of Fanasyland and Tomorrowland then have lunch about 1 or so.
Then I would head to Adventureland. and go up thru Frontierland, hit New Orleans and Critter country.. what you want to do later, when any crowds will be higher.
I would still suggest getting fastpasses..as soon as the windows open up for you.

Sorry about the New Years Eve thing ;).
Not sure how late the park will be open or if they will have two showings of the fireworks.
My statements about reservations stands though, make them now if you want them ;).

The one thing I learned (after the fact) is that there IS a single rider's line for Splash Mountain, there just isn't any sign. Ask the CM at the entrance where it is. You go in a different way. Not like TT at WDW, where there's a sign at the entrance for single riders.

hey,
my best suggestion is to hit Indiana Jones first!! It is not at wdw and definately worth it. Then do Pirates of the carribbean and haunted mansion holiday because they are different in wdw. Splash mountain is a good ride if its warm because you wont get wet. If you love roller coasters hit Big thunder railroad because it is a little different than wdw. Since there is no fast pass for the matterhorn you might want to hit that early. From what i have seen it is really popular at night because of the teens. Now i have heard rumors that space mountain is a different ride at night. Try to do both day and night. The new renovations are awesome!!! Finally, dont miss the fireworks and fantasmic at night. I would suggest seeing the fireworks in front of the castle and then catching the second show of fantasmic because it is less crowded. have fun!!!!

We will be there then also, I am wonder what type of convention?
From the calendar at the DL website, no fireworks, but the parade will be running. see the web site for the time.
I'd go early do fantasy land first, then depending on your taste, space mt. or splash mt.

have a great trip

Thanks for the replies!

Abby, DH will be attending the Medical Design and Manufactoring Expo at the convention center.

How crowded do you think DL will be on a Tuesday at the end of January? I know WDW is supposed to be pretty quiet at that time but I wasn't sure if it were true for DL.

We now have to choose a hotel. I want to be within a short walk from the park since I will be on my own with not much time to spare. I also want comfortable beds and a nice clean room. Breakfast would be nice but not required. I have looked at the Candy Cane Inn, the Annabella, and the HOJO. We could have gotten GC for $169 a night through the convention if we'd acted sooner but they're sold out at that rate. Too bad...
Any hotel suggestions?

Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter