Possible delayed closing for Spaceship earth

So glad it’s staying open. We were meant to be there the day before it closed and we’re going to have a final “goodbye”. Felt a bit cheated when the trip was cancelled, so selfishly happy we won’t miss our last ride.

Hoping that a refurbishment will also mean that they fix the kinks, we've been stuck on it a few times in the past.

Haha I guess I'm the only one super happy that this ride is seemingly not being touched for the time being and will remain the same with my precious Judi Dench narration!

I do agree they should fix issues with the track getting stuck and delayed of course. I mean, getting stuck on rides is always the worst and this one stops and starts more than most. But I love everything else about it and it's my favorite ride and with how Disney has changed so much in their leadership, I worry every time they do an upgrade on anything that they are going to leech out everything that is original and classic Disney about an attraction and water it down so it appeals to the Frozen-crowd, ect. I would rather this stay quaint and retro and charming and old-fashioned than have it become what Maelstrom became, for example.
Yep, Maelstrom was one of my favorite Epcot rides as a kid. No characters required. Went back years later to ride the Frozen version and it felt like a sticker slap job. (not a knock against Frozen)

Most of the workers are not disney workers but work for contractors. So disney will give the contract for tron to a company and they will handle personnel. A different company could get SSE contract. So money and personnel are on a per-project basis.
If construction was anything like it has been around here, nothing stopped for a second. I was thinking they would had used this opportunity to do many things that would had been difficult with guests around. Is there a board that discusses this? Sorry, new around here.

If construction was anything like it has been around here, nothing stopped for a second. I was thinking they would had used this opportunity to do many things that would had been difficult with guests around. Is there a board that discusses this? Sorry, new around here.

Disney stopped construction.

Yep, Maelstrom was one of my favorite Epcot rides as a kid. No characters required. Went back years later to ride the Frozen version and it felt like a sticker slap job. (not a knock against Frozen)
Really? I wasn't a fan of them changing one of my favorite little rides but I thought they did an amazing job! I can't imagine what else they could've done to make it any better or more elaborate? Is it because they kept the same track that it feels this way to you? Now see, I feel this way about El Rio del Tiempo. THAT was a sticker job. They literally threw 3 birds into various places, changed the video on the screens and called it a makeover.

I hope they cancel the Spaceship Earth revamp altogether. It's fine just like it is. Would be like changing Small World.
I'm kinda with you there. I think the only thing that needs to be changed is the video at the end. I would rather have more scenes like they used to have as you're descending back to earth. The tech they use to take your picture has been horrible from day one and half the time your face doesn't come out at all. Defeating the whole idea of the ride with bad tech. It was funny the first time you saw it and that's about it.

This is the right forum area for that type of discussion - gets covered in the NEWS thread and some others

As has been mentioned nearly all construction work at Disney was stopped during the closure - would have been great to use that time but I think for safety reasons and b/c they didn't know the extent of the closure they opted not to

A few projects (like the Cove hotel) did continue and daily maintenance of rides did take place

I'm kinda with you there. I think the only thing that needs to be changed is the video at the end. I would rather have more scenes like they used to have as you're descending back to earth. The tech they use to take your picture has been horrible from day one and half the time your face doesn't come out at all. Defeating the whole idea of the ride with bad tech. It was funny the first time you saw it and that's about it.

I think it needs a bit more of that. Some scenes really need some updates - such as the caveman projection scene, you can barely see it, and some animatronics need work. I also think they need some scenes after the one with the guy in the garage in working on the home PC - I mean, communication really needs me too of smart phones and video chats and then where the next step will be ... That could be handled in the decent part

But I think a medium sized refurb could make a big difference

And I still miss the Jeremy Irons narration. I've never warmed up to Judi Dench's, we usually listen in another language to see how much we can pick up.
I miss his voice too. I'm used to Judi now, but it just doesn't have the same impact or drama as before. I'm going to try the different languages thing! lol

I think it needs a bit more of that. Some scenes really need some updates - such as the caveman projection scene, you can barely see it, and some animatronics need work. I also think they need some scenes after the one with the guy in the garage in working on the home PC - I mean, communication really needs me too of smart phones and video chats and then where the next step will be ... That could be handled in the decent part

But I think a medium sized refurb could make a big difference
Yeah you're right. I think I just worry that they will UN-Disney it like they do everything else if they get to messing with too much. I don't want a whole new ride but upgrading and adding to is okay.

I love the Judi Dench narration.
Just curious if it was the first one you heard? I think we tend to get hooked on the one that reminds us of our first visit. Mine was Jeremy Irons so the change to Judi was off putting but when I try to listen to Walter Cronkite it is the WORST! lol It sounds super cheesy and dated to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!