Positive thoughts please-ups and downs p.42

So glad you had a good birthday, Kim :) Continued prayers for both you and Richard. Enjoy your visit with your daughter and may Chewy bring furry xo and healing to Richard. I'm sure they both will enjoy the reunion :)

Richard has to walk independent of any walkers before he can come home?

For my DH, he would have been in another month. He still uses a cane most of the time.

In our house, we have a half bath downstairs, so as long as DH could walk 20 -30 ft with a walker and go up a single step that would be needed to get into the house, he was good to go.

That’s what they said but maybe they meant with a walker. I’ll have him clarify on Monday.

And if one nurse tells you that, ask another. Make sure what one person says isn't being misunderstood.

When DH was in, two people from PT came in to evaluate if he was ready to go home. They had him stand with walker and after taking a few steps, DH said he was dizzy. They took his BP and it was low. and then they left. 30 mins later someone from social services comes in with a list and says PT recommends he go to rehab , here's a list, where would you like to go? Just out of the blue they are talking rehab, remember this was suppose to be in and out 24 hrs later, not two hospitals 12 days and now rehab???? We had no idea how much all this was costing. DH got very upset. As it turns out, he stayed in the hospital for an extra day, while they got his BP meds under control. Plus some of the dizziness had to do with the stone things in your ear. After he got home, little by little that worked itself out.

And if one nurse tells you that, ask another. Make sure what one person says isn't being misunderstood.

When DH was in, two people from PT came in to evaluate if he was ready to go home. They had him stand with walker and after taking a few steps, DH said he was dizzy. They took his BP and it was low. and then they left. 30 mins later someone from social services comes in with a list and says PT recommends he go to rehab , here's a list, where would you like to go? Just out of the blue they are talking rehab, remember this was suppose to be in and out 24 hrs later, not two hospitals 12 days and now rehab???? We had no idea how much all this was costing. DH got very upset. As it turns out, he stayed in the hospital for an extra day, while they got his BP meds under control. Plus some of the dizziness had to do with the stone things in your ear. After he got home, little by little that worked itself out.

That would be frustrating. We keep saying how lucky we are that we won’t be getting a bill at the end of this. He sees his doctor every day or every other day so he’ll clear it up next time he sees him, which I think is tomorrow.

That would be frustrating. We keep saying how lucky we are that we won’t be getting a bill at the end of this. He sees his doctor every day or every other day so he’ll clear it up next time he sees him, which I think is tomorrow.
I truly can't imagine the burden of having that worry, on top of everything else. :flower3: How are you making out without the income? I'm sure this sick-leave has been waaaaaay longer than you first imagined. Does his workplace offer short-term disability?

I truly can't imagine the burden of having that worry, on top of everything else. :flower3: How are you making out without the income? I'm sure this sick-leave has been waaaaaay longer than you first imagined. Does his workplace offer short-term disability?

No, his work doesn’t have short term disability. They have long term but it doesn’t kick in for six months. We’re in the process of getting him EI sick benefits. I couldn’t apply for him because I don’t know any of his passwords for those types of sites and he wasn’t able to focus enough to do it until a month ago. So, hopefully that starts up in a few weeks. This disaster has made me realize that we should write down all our passwords in case something like this should ever happen again.

No, his work doesn’t have short term disability. They have long term but it doesn’t kick in for six months. We’re in the process of getting him EI sick benefits. I couldn’t apply for him because I don’t know any of his passwords for those types of sites and he wasn’t able to focus enough to do it until a month ago. So, hopefully that starts up in a few weeks. This disaster has made me realize that we should write down all our passwords in case something like this should ever happen again.
Wow, you've done great to be hanging in there with that added twist. Is the position still secure for his eventual return? From a moral standpoint, it certainly should be but depending on the workplace, things don't always go the way we think they should.

Your point about the passwords is very valid. I remember getting an idea from something I actually read here on the CB about a "Death Binder" (hard-copy, not on a computer drive somewhere) that would basically contain all the information either spouse would need immediately to be able to get through a crisis. Now if we could just actually get it together to compile one...:rolleyes1 I don't know all the on-line banking information and DH doesn't know our Netflix password. We're both screwed without the other. :laughing:

Wow, you've done great to be hanging in there with that added twist. Is the position still secure for his eventual return? From a moral standpoint, it certainly should be but depending on the workplace, things don't always go the way we think they should.

Your point about the passwords is very valid. I remember getting an idea from something I actually read here on the CB about a "Death Binder" (hard-copy, not on a computer drive somewhere) that would basically contain all the information either spouse would need immediately to be able to get through a crisis. Now if we could just actually get it together to compile one...:rolleyes1 I don't know all the on-line banking information and DH doesn't know our Netflix password. We're both screwed without the other. :laughing:

Yes, his job is waiting for him when he gets back. All they have been asking for is doctors notes so we keep getting them. The current one runs out at the end of January so he’s going to talk to his dr tomorrow about getting a new one.

Honestly, I don’t think he even knows all his passwords. He has them all kept through Firefox so they all just autofill. I’ll get on him to get the major ones remembered when he gets home.

Slow and steady. So glad Richard is improving. Take care of yourself. Sometimes we lose track of what a toll something like this takes on the family as well. Thinking of you!

Them keeping him a bit longer could be partially due to stamina. I think that they usually want it to a certain level when someone walks and maybe he isn't quite there yet? It'll be interesting to hear what they say.

Them keeping him a bit longer could be partially due to stamina. I think that they usually want it to a certain level when someone walks and maybe he isn't quite there yet? It'll be interesting to hear what they say.

Yeah, he definitely still needs to work on his stamina but he’s come so far. He only gets physio and ot during this week so this weekend he’s been in his chair and wheeling around on his own. His building is linked to the main building via an overhead pathway so today he made it all the way to the main hospital and back. There were a few ramps that he couldn’t wheel himself up so he turned around and used his feet to propel himself up.

He still has a fair way to go on hand and wrist strength. That’s what ot is for so he spends his time there undoing screws and lacing and unlacing things.

Sounds like Richard is making great progress

And that is uplifting news!

A few weeks and your daughter will be visiting you

Things are looking so much brighter for you Kim!

This is huge!!

Richard was doing his physio this morning and someone let it slip that his potential release day is February 14. They aren’t supposed to focus too hard on a specific day, so she really shouldn’t have said anything but I’m so glad she did. He is going to be focusing on stairs starting in a week or so.

Grace leaves on Feb 11 and he’ll potentially be coming home on the 14th. That will be quite a week. Feb 14 will also be six years since our first date.

Last bit of news, his EI (unemployment benefits) have been approved and we should get the first payment this week. It is going to be packpaid from his first day in the hospital so this takes a HUGE weight off my shoulders.

Today’s been a good day :)

This is huge!!

Richard was doing his physio this morning and someone let it slip that his potential release day is February 14. They aren’t supposed to focus too hard on a specific day, so she really shouldn’t have said anything but I’m so glad she did. He is going to be focusing on stairs starting in a week or so.

Grace leaves on Feb 11 and he’ll potentially be coming home on the 14th. That will be quite a week. Feb 14 will also be six years since our first date.

Last bit of news, his EI (unemployment benefits) have been approved and we should get the first payment this week. It is going to be packpaid from his first day in the hospital so this takes a HUGE weight off my shoulders.

Excellent news all around, Kimblebee!

This is huge!!

That would make for a most excellent Valentines Day event. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!