• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Portofino restaraunts

ProvidencePete

Earning My Ears
I'll be there in two weeks.In Rhode Island, Providence is known for its Italian restaraunts. There's about 10 great ones on Federal Hill alone. We chose Portofino this time (last time Hard Rock) figuring we can get the Italian atmosphere and some good food. What does this place have to offer as far as restaraunts go? Am I better off just going over to City Walk, or eating at the hotel?

We ate at Mama Della's about 3 weeks ago. It was great. We would definitely eat there again. Good food, good service.

We will be in Providence this weekend for a hockey tournament and are planning an Italian dinner in Federal Hill - where do you recommend I take my 20 yr old daughter and 11 yr old son? :wave2:

Katy,
It's going to be freezing this weekend, so bring your warm clothes. I really can't give you one place that jumps right out at me, since some are real pricey, and an 11 year old might just want pizza or something like that. I will tell you though that Caserta pizza on Federal Hill is a Rhode Island tradition that easily has the best pizza just about anywhere. It is right on Federal Hill, and everyone will know where it is, so if you get a chance, check this place out. They're Large is actually 2 mediums, so a medium is real big when ordering. As far as restauraunts, I always loved Camilles (also on the hill). I actually got married in a small ceremony there in the upstairs back in '93. It was right out of "Good Fellas" with the Italian music and great food. I love that place. I haven't been in a couple of years, but I do remember it is pricey. Blue Grotto is also excellent, but that too may be long dollar. Caffe Dolce Vita is nice too, but is more of a night place. Bob and Timmy's is like a grilled pizza/macaroni moderately priced place that I hear is excellent, but I have never been. Angelos is the restauraunt in the movie Federal Hill. Some people swear by it, but I always thought it was overcrowded and nothing spectacular. I have heard more people tell me how great it is, but I don't really see it. I also like Casa Christine, and Mediterraneo on the Hill. They are very good too. You will find great restauraunts up and down Federal Hill, so I'm sure you will be ok wherever you go. Caserta's pizza is a must though if you want pizza one day. There are plenty of great restauraunts at Providence Place Mall, and Capitol Grille or Raphaels (across from the Providence Place Mall) are super. I also like Trinity Brew House either before or after the game. It has microbrews, and some good reasonable food, but it may be too much for an 11 year old. It's directly across the street from the Dunkin Donuts Center. There are so many great restauraunts on the Hill. If I had to pick my favorite. It would have to be Camilles. I've never had a bad meal there. I also love Al Forno's which is about 2 miles from the Dunkin Donuts Center. It has won many awards. I think I remember hearing it was like the best restauraunts in the country. It always seems to have a line, and we greased the server with a 20$ blii one time and sat right down (you gotta love Rhody). I don't know where you are staying. We ate at the Westin's restauraunt once and it was so expensive, but the food was great. If you know of any restauraunts that you were considering, just mention them, and I will give you my 2 cents. Enjoy your stay in Providence, and have fun.

Mama Dellas is very authentic. I think you would love the atmosphere, service and food!

I think we'll give Camille's a try. I've heard of Al Forno it's supposed to be supberb - not sure how much time I'll have with our schedule. We're staying at the Holiday Inn beside the Dunkin Donuts center. Stayed there last year and really enjoyed the Providence Bruins and the mall!

Now for your question. We've eaten at Mama Della's several times. The food was excellent and the atmosphere pretty standard for a large resort. Very large room - nicely decorated - but not very intimate. I would return there if I were staying at the hotel but not sure I'd make a special trip. I haven't tried the other more $$ restaurant but have heard good things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter