Portofino for $232 more?

JAMIESMITH

DIS Veteran
We are currently booked at RPR for five nights in early October of next year for a total price of $1375. PBH is $232 more. My older daughter (10) and I really like the look of PBH. My husband has always been indifferent to pretty much all vacation planning and the baby is too little to have an opinion.

Since we this is our first trip to Universal, part of me wants to splurge. On the other hand, RPR still gets us EP and we could use that $232 for a couple of nice meals.

I may be in the minority, but I prefer RPR to PBH. PBH was beautiful, I loved the outside look of it and the grounds. But I did not like the location, farther from the parks, and it was just not my style.

I would guess most people would say to take it. I have stayed at all 3 resorts at Universal that have the FOTL access, and RPR is my favorite, then closely followed by Hard Rock, then a more distant 3rd, PBH.

We've stayed at both. We love both- but now that we have three teenagers, PBH, with its larger rooms, is the way to go for us. I see from your signature that you have stayed at the Polynesian, which to me is similiar in feel to RPR. If you want more of that, go with RPR. If you want a different feel, go with PBH. Either way, you'll love it!

I may be in the minority, but I prefer RPR to PBH. PBH was beautiful, I loved the outside look of it and the grounds. But I did not like the location, farther from the parks, and it was just not my style.

I would guess most people would say to take it. I have stayed at all 3 resorts at Universal that have the FOTL access, and RPR is my favorite, then closely followed by Hard Rock, then a more distant 3rd, PBH.

Thank you! This makes me feel better about what we already have booked. I really am happy with the lower price tag!

We've stayed at both. We love both- but now that we have three teenagers, PBH, with its larger rooms, is the way to go for us. I see from your signature that you have stayed at the Polynesian, which to me is similiar in feel to RPR. If you want more of that, go with RPR. If you want a different feel, go with PBH. Either way, you'll love it!

We adore The Polynesian! I wasn't sure if Royal Pacific measured up to it or not. Our older daughter will be eleven (perfect age for Harry Potter) and the baby will be 2 1/2 (so still free). Will we feel cramped?

Thank you! This makes me feel better about what we already have booked. I really am happy with the lower price tag!

We adore The Polynesian! I wasn't sure if Royal Pacific measured up to it or not. Our older daughter will be eleven (perfect age for Harry Potter) and the baby will be 2 1/2 (so still free). Will we feel cramped?

I don't think you'll feel crowded. We have 3 teenagers, two of which are sprawling boys, and we always get a rollaway or use an air mattress. You won't need that. The room is smaller than the Polynesian, but is about the size of an average hotel room. Your daughter will love the Harry Potter stuff- and everything else! My daughter was 11 the last time we went.

Our kids are teens, so maybe that makes a difference, but we will likely never stay at RPR again. Way too cramped. Our minimum requirement for space is the deluxe room at PBH.

I might be in the minority too, but we did not really care for PBH. We are all about location and the vibe of the resort.

The rooms are lovely, the resort is beautiful but the walk was way too long for us after a long day at the parks. The resort is way too quiet, even in July one month after HP Hogsmede opened, the resort seemed empty.

I have not stayed at RPH, but I love the Poly so the theming looks great.

Another vote for RPR. We often prefer to walk between resorts, and the walk to RPR is shorter than the walk to PBH. I also think the theme of PBH is lost on younger kids, but its still a beautiful resort. You can't go wrong with either, but the price difference wouldn't be worth it to me.

As far as theme, I respectfully disagree that RPR is on par with the Polynesian. The Poly has the South Pacific/Islander theme whereas Royal Pacific has more of an Asian theme. Only similarities are dark wood and orchids around. Both great resorts, but different in theme to me.

Rooms at PBH are much bigger, so that's a plus. Other than that, I think RPR is more my style. That being said, to heck with it. If you want to stay there, go for it. Beautiful choice of resorts either way.

We had to make a similar decision. For me, the theme of PB and the extra room (family of 5) appealed to us more. I hope we don't regret it!
I'm getting a little afraid of the long walk. But 5/6 of our trips to Disney have involved buses and/or driving, so I'm guessing we won't feel too remote?

One other plus for RPR is that it's right next to Sapphire Falls, and SF is right next to CB and now Aventura. Very easy/quick to walk to these from RPR if you want to resort/pool hop during your stay.

If you do stay at Portofino, the classic italian sub at Sal's Market Deli is de-fricken-licious (at least, it was in late June). I'm salivating right now thinking of it.

Rooms at PBH are much bigger, so that's a plus. Other than that, I think RPR is more my style. That being said, to heck with it. If you want to stay there, go for it. Beautiful choice of resorts either way.

The extra room size and bathtub are definitely part of the appeal of PBH.

We had to make a similar decision. For me, the theme of PB and the extra room (family of 5) appealed to us more. I hope we don't regret it!
I'm getting a little afraid of the long walk. But 5/6 of our trips to Disney have involved buses and/or driving, so I'm guessing we won't feel too remote?

When is your trip?

If you do stay at Portofino, the classic italian sub at Sal's Market Deli is de-fricken-licious (at least, it was in late June). I'm salivating right now thinking of it.

And the food options at PBH are more appealing to us...

They are both very nice ... if the little bit of extra space isn't all that important to you - I would just stay at RPR.

Honestly I don’t think you can go wrong with either choice. We love both of them.
We slightly prefer PBH. For us the larger room size and bathroom are great (we have a little one too so crib space and room in the bathroom to sit next to the tub were important) BUT RP also has enough room.

We like the food, especially Sals at PBH better, but that’s personal preference. We like the pool slightly better at RP, but PBH has the slide.

The distance is further at PHB but the water taxis are great. Weve never waited more than 10 minutes and that’s only when we just missed the previous one. You also go through security on the dock while waiting instead of at Citywalk so we think it’s best to do the taxi and skip the park security. We save our walking for the parks, but if you like to walk RP is closer.

We would pay slightly more for PBH, but would very happily stay at either.

OP here :wave2: I split the difference and paid $148 more to move our stay to the Hard Rock Hotel. I like the idea of being closer to the parks since we are traveling with a toddler and I also really wanted a bathtub. Thanks for all your help in deciding! Please tell me good things about HRH!

I second this! The sub was great. We ate there a couple of times. Our last night we took our food from Sals outside and ate it in the patio area and listened to the singers up on the balcony. Perfect end to our stay.

I guess how much time you spend in the room is what really matters. We really like both, though prefer the PB, but since staying at both over the years, the largest bathroom is definitely at the PB, but with a teen and adult kid, we just go with whatever is cheaper. That $200 can buy a good amount of food or stuff. Closest is the Hard Rock, but that is the smallest of the 3 onsite, so they tend to be the most in price. If it were me, I would stay at RP. Not a bad walk to the IOA side, and not a long boat ride either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!