PORTOFINO BAY HOTEL INFO...FAQ`s and more.......

If you go to the loewshotels.com website, into the Portofino Bay Hotel page and try to make an August reservation, the notification about the refurb no longer comes up. If you put in an earlier date, the notification does come up. I would assume that this means that you should be not be experiencing any renovations still happening in August.

Thanks damo that's very interesting info. Much appreciated.

I haven't been on the Dis much lately, so don't know if this old news, but was poking around online just now and saw this -

Loews Portofino Bay Hotel will undergo guest room renovations in the first and second quarters of 2020. During this time, work will be done by floor and temporary walls will be put in place to close off the hallways where renovations are taking place. During this time, there will be noise in some areas where enhancements are taking place. We appreciate your understanding, as we work to upgrade our guest rooms and suites. Grazie!
Hmmm...that may change our plans. While I do think the rooms needed a little love (I enjoy the style just some of the things were getting worn), I don't know if I want to be there during a refurb for what it costs a night.

Oh well, we have a few months to worry about it (if we get to take the trip as planned at all anyhow).

So, are the club level rooms all on one floor, or are deluxe rooms scattered throughout the hotel used as club rooms?

I haven't been on the Dis much lately, so don't know if this old news, but was poking around online just now and saw this -

Loews Portofino Bay Hotel will undergo guest room renovations in the first and second quarters of 2020. During this time, work will be done by floor and temporary walls will be put in place to close off the hallways where renovations are taking place. During this time, there will be noise in some areas where enhancements are taking place. We appreciate your understanding, as we work to upgrade our guest rooms and suites. Grazie!
Ooooh! It’ll be nice to have a little updating to their rooms. Hopefully things won’t change too much though—we love their rooms.

For the sake of my sanity though, I sincerely hope they don’t install those ridiculous sliding bathroom doors Loews has become so fond of! They offer absolutely zero sound or smell barrier! Their installation during Royal Pacific’s last remodel is the reason we never stay RP anymore. I don’t want to have to abandon PBH, too. 😬

Can anyone tell me if the refrigerators in the rooms are big enough to hold a gallon container of milk standing upright or would it have to lay on its side.

We were there last Sun/Mon nights... had garden view, East wing. Sun night went to HHN and came back to the hotel 2:30 ish... were awakened at 8 am to mowing/blowing outside our window, then we started hearing weird tapping noises. Went to the parks Monday, came back late Monday night and at 9 AM the construction started - on our hall - the noise was incessant and unbearable! We finally just packed to leave - as we passed the rooms under refurb, construction dust was everywhere - the construction workers we encountered were all wearing masks. Ruined what we expected to be an escape from the parks and all that ensuing chaos! I will say, the resort refunded one room night. If I had any idea it would have been as bad as it was, I would have booked a different resort.

We were there last Sun/Mon nights... had garden view, East wing. Sun night went to HHN and came back to the hotel 2:30 ish... were awakened at 8 am to mowing/blowing outside our window, then we started hearing weird tapping noises. Went to the parks Monday, came back late Monday night and at 9 AM the construction started - on our hall - the noise was incessant and unbearable! We finally just packed to leave - as we passed the rooms under refurb, construction dust was everywhere - the construction workers we encountered were all wearing masks. Ruined what we expected to be an escape from the parks and all that ensuing chaos! I will say, the resort refunded one room night. If I had any idea it would have been as bad as it was, I would have booked a different resort.

yikes! Thats not good. And it’s not 1Q2020 yet obviously. We’ll be there in Dec and if they said refurb was starting by then we’d move elsewhere. Now we have to think about it.

yikes! Thats not good. And it’s not 1Q2020 yet obviously. We’ll be there in Dec and if they said refurb was starting by then we’d move elsewhere. Now we have to think about it.

I’m thinking the same thing. Why would there be construction sounds if they aren’t starting until 2020 Q1? I don’t want to move resorts but I am not about being on vacation and hearing that commotion.

I’m thinking the same thing. Why would there be construction sounds if they aren’t starting until 2020 Q1? I don’t want to move resorts but I am not about being on vacation and hearing that commotion.

it was so bad... I have several 20-30 second videos of the noise. Can't attach! Would be happy to send to anyone who wants to see how loud it was - pm me :)

Our booking came with a warning that work was being done on the accessible rooms so maybe that was what the previous poster encountered? Either way it sounds like it had a significant impact on their stay :(
We stayed 10/1-10/5 and saw no sign of any renovation being done so it sounds like it depends on where in the building your room is located.

We just booked a standard view 2 Queen room through my husbands ASH convention at the Orlando Convention Center for Dec 6-11, it was the only room type and view option offered through the convention. Does anyone know what the standard view rooms typically look at and where they would be in the resort? Is there anything I could or should request? I was also wondering if it would be possible to still look into upgrading to CL even with a convention rate? I'm thinking since it's booked though the convention we probably can't try ahead of time, but maybe could ask about availability at check in?

Also, any ideas why that time frame is so busy? I tried to look at room prices not through the convention, and there aren't any available! The only universal rooms at all were 3 of the value resorts (I can't remember which ones, but definitely ones without EP)

We just booked a standard view 2 Queen room through my husbands ASH convention at the Orlando Convention Center for Dec 6-11, it was the only room type and view option offered through the convention. Does anyone know what the standard view rooms typically look at and where they would be in the resort? Is there anything I could or should request? I was also wondering if it would be possible to still look into upgrading to CL even with a convention rate? I'm thinking since it's booked though the convention we probably can't try ahead of time, but maybe could ask about availability at check in?

Also, any ideas why that time frame is so busy? I tried to look at room prices not through the convention, and there aren't any available! The only universal rooms at all were 3 of the value resorts (I can't remember which ones, but definitely ones without EP)

The other Star Wars attraction opens the 5th.

I guess we will have to really think about staying elsewhere in Feb. Really loved the room size for our family of 5 (and restaurant options and ambiance). Darn!
ETA: So sorry you had a bad experience, and thank you for warning others.

The other Star Wars attraction opens the 5th.

Hmm, I guess I did realize that but didn't think that would affect Universal as well. Do you really think that opening not only filled Disney resorts but also the Universal ones? I was thinking only one ride opening wouldn't be as big of a deal as when the rest of the land opened, but maybe I've been thinking wrong lol. I mean more people, sure, but not filling up like 20 resorts worth of people. We decided to do mostly universal for this short trip and avoid DHS since we'll be offsite and not have much disney time, so instead of the stress of how to get on the new ride we're going to wait until our February trip to do it.

Hmm, I guess I did realize that but didn't think that would affect Universal as well. Do you really think that opening not only filled Disney resorts but also the Universal ones? I was thinking only one ride opening wouldn't be as big of a deal as when the rest of the land opened, but maybe I've been thinking wrong lol. I mean more people, sure, but not filling up like 20 resorts worth of people. We decided to do mostly universal for this short trip and avoid DHS since we'll be offsite and not have much disney time, so instead of the stress of how to get on the new ride we're going to wait until our February trip to do it.

I’m sure many decided to wait until both attractions were open to go. I don’t necessarily believe that any resorts are completely full, I do however know they will holdout and release rooms closer to that actual date, I believe in hopes they could get more people to book at a regular rate thinking oh I better grab something now since there is nothing available.

Staying at PBH right now. We have noticed a bit of construction on a few rooms, but nothing that we could hear from our room and it hasn't detracted from our stay.

Also, when we checked in, I asked about getting a full balcony room (we reserved a club room). They put us in 2663 which is on the top floor, full balcony facing the main pool. It has a very nice view. I think 2665 also has a full balcony with a similar view. I'll probably start asking for either of these rooms on future visits. :)

How long is the walk from PBR to the park gates, compared to the walk from RPR? And how does the boat ride compare (length and wait time for a boat)? We just switched our November reservation from RPR to PBR and I'm trying to plan how we'll travel. TIA!

How long is the walk from PBR to the park gates, compared to the walk from RPR? And how does the boat ride compare (length and wait time for a boat)? We just switched our November reservation from RPR to PBR and I'm trying to plan how we'll travel. TIA!

Depending on how fast you walk it’s easily 5-10 more minutes longer than the RPR walk, also depending on where you’re room is could be further, FYI the west wing is nearby the boat dock, the boats are often and not much longer than at RPR just a few minutes and they come fairly often maybe a 10 to 20 minute wait we have never experienced a longer wait than that at PBR anyways.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts