Portofino Bay-First time Universal visit

Anna Chassereau

DIS Veteran
Just moved us from Surfside Inn and Suites to Portofino Bay...the express pass being included sold me and it looks like a beautiful resort. If you’ve stayed here did you enjoy it? Any tips for this resort? Good restaurants? Are the boat taxis pretty convenient for the parks?

This will be our first time visiting Universal...would you say moving to this resort worth the cost increase?

I would say it’s absolutely worth the increase.

The EP alone is worth its weight in gold. And PB is a beautiful resort.

As for restaurants, I’m not a fan of them, but I’m in the minority there. However, Sal’s for pizza is fabulous! Best onsite pizza there is. They also do grab and go style breakfast.

The boats are frequent as they are for all the hotels, you won’t be disappointed.

Just moved us from Surfside Inn and Suites to Portofino Bay...the express pass being included sold me and it looks like a beautiful resort. If you’ve stayed here did you enjoy it? Any tips for this resort? Good restaurants? Are the boat taxis pretty convenient for the parks?

This will be our first time visiting Universal...would you say moving to this resort worth the cost increase?

Haven’t stayed at Surfside, I know you asked if you’ve stayed.....

I can still say Portofino has much more to offer.

I would request a room in the west wing or villa area, personally don’t care for the walk from the east side to get to the boat dock (this seems to bug me more on longer stays) not the end of the world by no means just my preference.

Yes the boats are great, wait times vary throughout the day.

When are you going Anna?

Anna
Read the hotel boards as a lot of info about PB is well written and you will find info that will guide you.

Schumigirl has listed all the basics plus pictures of the hotel.

The hotel stickies are kept current by her.

If you’ve stayed here did you enjoy it?

It's the first onsite hotel we stayed at for Universal and my family does not want to stay anywhere else. So relaxing and serene. Hubby would head down to the boats early just to sit and enjoy the atmosphere and he is not a real "sit and reflect" type of a guy. Huge bathrooms which is why for our girls trip we are staying here. Schumi turned us on to Sals and it is wonderful. You wont be disappointed.

It's the first onsite hotel we stayed at for Universal and my family does not want to stay anywhere else. So relaxing and serene. Hubby would head down to the boats early just to sit and enjoy the atmosphere and he is not a real "sit and reflect" type of a guy. Huge bathrooms which is why for our girls trip we are staying here. Schumi turned us on to Sals and it is wonderful. You wont be disappointed.

Always enjoy sharing the love about Sal’s........❤ 😁

I've stayed there twice. It is gorgeous and its nice to sit out by the water at night. Once they had an opera singer out on the balcony when we came back from the parks, which was a nice surprise. We would get breakfast everyday at starbucks which was right under out room then hop on the boat to go over. Super easy. The pool had movies at night and my kid loved the water slide. I'm not sure what amenities ot rhings they will change with everything going on, but i've never been disappointed staying there.

I stayed there once with my kids as a “once in a lifetime” treat. Then I ended up liking it so much I stayed there twice more in other years both times I went back to Universal.

I really like the Universal hotels, but Portofino Bay is my favorite. Especially if you have multiple people that can take advantage of the Express Pass included, it can make the expensive price worth it.

It’s a quieter resort, which is nice after a noisy frenetic day. We were there during Hurricane Michael and they took VERY good care of us WRT offering one ball room for indoor sports, one to movies and one for meals from the QS locales and pizza..which is pretty dang good.
the boats are great, but it’s a 20 minute shaded walk( during thunderstorms the boats don’t run).

I mentioned the boat last year when we were down there, and now every time I mention going back, it's how much is the hotel with the boat? from DH. We were supposed to be there the first week of June, but of course pushed back. It's a beautiful hotel!

We've visited before but are hopefully staying for the first time in October. The water taxis are very convenient, and the resort is beautiful. We will not go to the parks without EPs, and I definitely think its worth having them for your first time when you're most inclined to be overwhelmed and still figuring things out. With EPs, you won't need to strategize or even take advantage of early entry. We tour the parks at our leisure since wait times are not a concern.

Also, keep in mind that pool hopping is permitted between Universal resorts. PBH is a quick and easy walk to Hard Rock Hotel which has a fun pool atmosphere, and one of my favorite breakfasts on property at the Kitchen!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter