Portable Ice Maker Recomendations

mthds

Mouseketeer
Does anyone have a portable ice maker machine they use? If so any recommendations on brands, etc? Looking into purchasing one to use when we camp as we never have enough ice. Our camper refrig does not have an ice maker and ice cube trays take up needed freezer space.

Any recommendations or opinions appreciated.

Thanks!

We have a magic Chef ice maker. It makes ice quickly. It does not have a built-in freezer to keep the ice frozen.

we had an Igloo, like friendofeyore's it does not keep it frozen, but its insulated and the cubes stay for awhile, you need to use them or transfer to freezer. You have to add the water. Don't get the idea you can be making ice while at the parks. It will run out of water and the cubes will be melted when you return. It ended up at a garage sale, we buy bagged Ice now, the Yeti keeps them frozen for days.

Thanks for the info Trying to decide would it be cheaper in the end to just invest in a yeti and buy bag ice.

Thanks for the info Trying to decide would it be cheaper in the end to just invest in a yeti and buy bag ice.

Before we had an ice maker in our current mh, I considered getting a portable ice maker as dh loves his ice - me, not so much, but dh pointed out that you could buy lots of ice bags and have a well insulated cooler that would still be much less expensive than buying a unit. Plus, hauling it around, hassle of hooking it up to water supply, storing it, etc. He made his case - I dropped the idea!! :-)

We have used the same portable ice maker now for over 10 years. It has paid for itself many times over. I would recommend it to all campers. Just keep it clean and do the required maintenance and it will keep you in cold beverages for many trips. The type we have doesn't require a water hook up. 16 cubes every 5 minutes. Just add water occasionally.

26 days till the we are back....................................

I need to get one of those! I have seen them in action and they are great as long as you don't need a LOT of ice.

The ones I have seen don't have a cooler to keep it frozen but the ice melts into the water container and gets recycled. Pretty "cool." ;)

$300 for cooler and $2 a bag..... that alot for ice.. if at FW just spend the $2 a bag- make sure you have partner - sometimes the dispencer will shell out 2-3 bags. really.

How about a home fridge ice maker. mine pumps it out. can do about 1 full bag a day. 15 lbs ?? or so

We have an Igloo ice maker that we bought from Sams Club.
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/ice-maker-chrome-in-club-item-109268/prod15630035.ip
We love it. It is one of the first things we get running (besides the electric) when setting up camp. It makes ice very fast. When the basket becomes full. we just transfer it over to a bucket that we keep in the freezer. The unit does not keep the ice frozen but as it melts, the water drains back into the reservoir and it continues to make more ice. We really enjoy coming back from a hot day at the parks and having an iced drink. They are actually very simple to use / maintain. When taking down camp, I just dump the remaining water out and take a paper towel and dry it out. I have a plastic tote that it fits in to catch any remaining water that I may have missed when storing between outings. With most campgrounds charging anywhere from $1.50 to $3.00 a bag for ice and the way some of the Fort ice machines may give you 3 bags of ice for the price of 1 or maybe a 1/2 a bag (or less), we look at the cost as a wash. we probably haven't bought 5 bags of ice in the last 5 years we have had the ice maker. Just my opinion.

Steve

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!