Portable chair?

acellison

Mouseketeer
Hello all,

My husband has degenerative disk disease and has had many failed back procedures. He is very nervous about our upcoming trip. He is not in constant pain, but needs to be able to sit down frequently. He is really against the idea of a wheelchair or EVC. He feels he is not in pain enough to validate renting one. Has anyone ever purchased a portable small hiking type chair or something similar. Also, if needed, are there any places in the park where he could lay flat on his back? Thanks

Hello all,

My husband has degenerative disk disease and has had many failed back procedures. He is very nervous about our upcoming trip. He is not in constant pain, but needs to be able to sit down frequently. He is really against the idea of a wheelchair or EVC. He feels he is not in pain enough to validate renting one. Has anyone ever purchased a portable small hiking type chair or something similar. Also, if needed, are there any places in the park where he could lay flat on his back? Thanks

Folding chairs are not allowed in the parks. Imagine if everyone brought them? He can go to first aid to lie down on one of the cot/beds.

folding and or small chairs are not allowed in the parks. If he needs to lie down you can go to first aid

Would he consider a rollator -- push when walking and sit when needed. PPs are correct that chairs/stool/seats of pretty much any kind are not allowed unless it is a mobility device. That is really the only way to assure he will have a place to sit when needed. To lie down, yes, he can go to First Aid at any park. They have beds/cots with some degree of privacy.

Enjoy your vacation!

I also have degenerative disc disease and, like him, was very much against using an ECV. But one day the pain was so bad I rented one. And I cried-I called home and said, through my tears, "I'm actually on an ECV!" But you know what? The world didn't end, I had more stamina to actually enjoy WDW, people were so nice and helpful, and best of all my pain went away (well, comparatively). Please encourage him to rent an ECV. I understand his feelings, but I'll bet he'll be surprised

OP: I agree that your husband might need to check into a rollator or EVC. My mom mostly relies on a rollator for her degenerative disk disease. About 5 years ago, she was good with standing for about 5-10 minutes without someplace to lean or sit, but now, she is lucky to be able to stand for 5 minutes in one place. She knows if she goes someplace like WDW she has to have a mobility device as there is too much standing in one place.

There is this cool portable chair on wheels. You can sit in it when you want and push it around when you don't. I think it's called a wheelchair. ROFL

Sorry for teasing you like that. But it might be best for him to just get a light travel chair that he can push around and then sit in it when he needs to sit. They fold up and don't weigh much.

I have an awful back and found the rollator to be perfect. It had some support for my back when I sat while when watching parades and shows like fantastic where it is just a bench. It was a blessing to have it. Got a nice one for around $50 using my amazon prime. My biggest problem is sitting without support but in general walking is no problem at all. I took it into every line except jungle cruise where it was easiest to park and took the back entrance to spaceship earth.

My mom used to have a cane that could be folded out into a trifold leg set up and had a little seat that popped up on it. She used it as a cane for walking but if she had to stand for a long time, she could set out the seat part of it. No idea if that would be allowed though.

My mom used to have a cane that could be folded out into a trifold leg set up and had a little seat that popped up on it. She used it as a cane for walking but if she had to stand for a long time, she could set out the seat part of it. No idea if that would be allowed though.
I have seen CM ask people not to use them as chair and I saw one guest fall out and break her arm I would not use them as a set at all

I have seen a walker with a fold down seat. That might be something to look at. I have had knee and heel issues and leaning on something is very helpful.

Hello all,

Hi - to you and your hubby both! :)

First of all, I have (among my many other medical issues) a whopping case of DDD. So, I'm going to speak directly to your husband, if that's OK. :)

HubbyDude. Rent the ECV. Here's why:

- First of all, pain is NOT the only reason to rent an ECV. Mobility issues in general (fatigue, inability to walk X distance, inability to stand for x amount of time) are just SOME of the reasons to rent the ECV.

- Think of the ECV as a TOOL to accomplish a job. The job - or the task at hand - is to (A) make sure that your beautiful bride has a *lovely* time at WDW. She deserves it. I know, because I am also a beautiful bride of more than 30 years ;) AND (B) don't come home from your lovely vacation with your lovely wife, only to need a vacation to recover from your vacation.

Using an ECV is no different than using a pair of eyeglasses to see better, or a hearing aid to improve your hearing. Ever use a calculator? You used a tool to accomplish a job. The ECV is no different. It does not mean you have copped out, or given up - it means that you are using it to keep up with your wife, and you are making sure that you don't slow her down at the same time. You may actually find that you are the one at the end of the day who is still ready to go on, and have an adult beverage, or go listen to music at Disney Springs, while your wife is ready to take a nap!

Utilizing a TOOL available to you to maximize your vacation at Disney World is *smart*. The small additional cost financially will be far offset by the wonderful memories you gain from being able to be fully present with your wife, without fear of needing to stop and sit to rest, or without ending each day exhausted and potentially in pain.

We visit WDW an average of twice a year. There are fewer and fewer benches every time we return; last April/May our daughter wound up more than once sitting on the ground when we couldn't find a place for her to sit when she wanted to take a break. And while it's true that you will be able to go to First Aid and lay down for a while to rest your back, how often do you plan to do that per day?

Seriously. Rent the ECV. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks about you - after all, your chance of seeing anyone at WDW anywhere else? You have a better chance of winning the Lotto and getting struck by lightning on the same day. Rent the ECV. Avoid the pain, the fatigue, and the exhaustion. Rent the ECV.

If you have any questions, just have your lovely wife ask - we'll all be glad to help out.

Enjoy your trip. Rent the ECV, and have a great time!

Last edited:
You guys are awesome! Thank you so much for all your advice. I will definitely have him read your post mamabunny!

You guys are awesome! Thank you so much for all your advice. I will definitely have him read your post mamabunny!
and I agree with mamabunny. an ECV is no different than needing glasses to see. it is a tool to help you enjoy your vacation along with everyone else in your group. would you refuse a stroller for a 4year old who does not use one at home?

after all, your chance of seeing anyone at WDW anywhere else? You have a better chance of winning the Lotto and getting struck by lightning on the same day.

Totally agree with everything you wrote here but I had to tell a story about our last DL trip this summer.

We arrive in Anaheim, check into the hotel and change our mind about heading right to DL but instead go to DCA. Wandering past GotG and I hear someone calling out my name. Since Susan is a fairly common name, I don't really pay much attention until I hear them calling out my name a few more times. I turn around and standing in the middle of DCA is the family who used to live across the street from us (on Vancouver Island, Canada) but who moved to California 2+ years ago! Apparently they go to Disneyland around once a month and that happened to be the day we show up!

Super random!

Totally agree with everything you wrote here but I had to tell a story about our last DL trip this summer.

We arrive in Anaheim, check into the hotel and change our mind about heading right to DL but instead go to DCA. Wandering past GotG and I hear someone calling out my name. Since Susan is a fairly common name, I don't really pay much attention until I hear them calling out my name a few more times. I turn around and standing in the middle of DCA is the family who used to live across the street from us (on Vancouver Island, Canada) but who moved to California 2+ years ago! Apparently they go to Disneyland around once a month and that happened to be the day we show up!

Super random!

I literally just LOL'd at your story!!! There's our proof that there really *IS* an exception to every rule! ;)

and so? confirmation by multiple sources, and lets face it, Gap is pretty knowledgeable, should be encouraged.

Confirmation by multiple sources? OK, next time I will just post the WDW link. Didn't know I was doubted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter