Portable AC unit in the tent

Nature Mom

I didn't survive Cancer to die of stress.
I have seen some postings where campers brought a small window unit and with some handy-dandy maneuvering, were able to hook up a/c in a tent. Very cool.

Last year, our 1st trip to FW was less than a week, so we did okay with fans, and it also wasn't too miserable that last week in September, but this year seems hotter than last, and I think 2 weeks at the Fort this Sept./Oct. may need a little more cooling. :sunny:

I am wondering, how about the portable a/c units that can be moved from room to room that have a reservoir for water and the exhaust tube going out a window for a tent? Would it work?

My DH called me a bit ago and told me he has to get a portable unit for his office in a small job site trailer, and since the job will be over by the time I come to the Fort, I can pick out the one I want so I can use it for the trip.

I have been looking at the ac/heater combo, because they have a dehumidifying feature as well and could be so helpful, I think, plus we could use the heater portion in the winter as well.

Anyone have any experience with the portable free-standing a/c units? They are not cheap so I really want to make the best choice for his needs at work, and our camping too. :)

TIA for any help/advice/opinions. :)

I don't have an answer for you, but I hope to follow along with this thread since we will be there at roughly the same time and will be tent camping as well. I have planned on taking a very good fan for the trip, but after reading about the heat in September I'm a bit worried. I'm also trying very hard to accomplish "camping light", but that may go by the wayside soon.

What a great opportunity to have your AC furnished!

we purchased one already off of craigs list. Paid 125 for it. and the person who had it set up a tube for the water to be taken right outside along with the exhaust.. we are going to hopefully pick up a second one tomorrow found another on craigs list... we will be going this month so very hot.. will post pics and let you know how it worked.. oh and we need two because we have two tents...

HH Greg sells portable roo size ac units cheap. Never used oke in a tent because i don't camp but we've sent them to brazil. They work like a champ. A small one should do a tent nicely.

Thre is a unit that free stands and looks like a dehumidifier and vents out the back. Not cheap but free standing. Seen them at Walmart, Home Depot etc.

we purchased one already off of craigs list. Paid 125 for it. and the person who had it set up a tube for the water to be taken right outside along with the exhaust.. we are going to hopefully pick up a second one tomorrow found another on craigs list... we will be going this month so very hot.. will post pics and let you know how it worked.. oh and we need two because we have two tents...

I have been scouring Craigslist for one, but can't find any. A few I have looked at had a tube for the water so it wouldn't cut off like some do when the reservoir fills up. I think that is a plus! :thumbsup2 Luckily for me, DH's company will be purchasing, so while I am not trying to get most expensive one, I can get a new one up to a certain dollar limit. Please report back after your trip, I would love to hear how it went using them. :)

HH Greg sells portable roo size ac units cheap. Never used oke in a tent because i don't camp but we've sent them to brazil. They work like a champ. A small one should do a tent nicely.

Hadn't thought about HH Greg, thanks! Glad to hear they work well! :thumbsup2

Thre is a unit that free stands and looks like a dehumidifier and vents out the back. Not cheap but free standing. Seen them at Walmart, Home Depot etc.

That's the kind I am looking at, with the addition of a heater. You are right, they are not cheap! :scared1: But hopefully I can find a good deal and DH will be happy too. :)

My DH and I did this 4th of July weekend. We weren't at Disney :sad1: but we did go camping. I purchased a stand alone rolling unit at Home Depot for $300. We needed something to put in the garage for the dog during the day so I felt like it was worth it because of the multipule uses. We had a three room tent with a vent zipper and a zipper for the electrical cords. It worked great. We faced it right on our bed and it made camping so much more enjoyable. The people at Home Depot and some friends of ours said it wasn't camping when you take an AC but I disagree. With the heat this summer there is no way I could have had a good nights sleep without the AC Unit.

My DH and I did this 4th of July weekend. We weren't at Disney :sad1: but we did go camping. I purchased a stand alone rolling unit at Home Depot for $300. We needed something to put in the garage for the dog during the day so I felt like it was worth it because of the multipule uses. We had a three room tent with a vent zipper and a zipper for the electrical cords. It worked great. We faced it right on our bed and it made camping so much more enjoyable. The people at Home Depot and some friends of ours said it wasn't camping when you take an AC but I disagree. With the heat this summer there is no way I could have had a good nights sleep without the AC Unit.

THANK YOU!! :worship: So glad to hear from someone who has done this. Now I know it does work and works well. I see you're from GA so you've probably camped in some hot summers like me, too, but you are right, this summer is extra hot! There is no way I could go for days and days without some a/c to at least bring the tent's temp down a bit. Somedays, we need naps..let me rephrase that...I need a nap and hot tents are not comfy for sleeping. :headache:

Thanks for sharing...got the one I want picked out on HomeDepot.com. Glad to know I wasn't a total dummy for thinking about doing this (like one person at my local Lowe's treated me as). :confused3

Thanks again! :thumbsup2

THANK YOU!! :worship: So glad to hear from someone who has done this. Now I know it does work and works well. I see you're from GA so you've probably camped in some hot summers like me, too, but you are right, this summer is extra hot! There is no way I could go for days and days without some a/c to at least bring the tent's temp down a bit. Somedays, we need naps..let me rephrase that...I need a nap and hot tents are not comfy for sleeping. :headache:

Thanks for sharing...got the one I want picked out on HomeDepot.com. Glad to know I wasn't a total dummy for thinking about doing this (like one person at my local Lowe's treated me as). :confused3

Thanks again! :thumbsup2

Your very welcome. Something we did notice was that one morning we turned it off and left for the day - it took twice as long to cool down the tent when we returned. We found that turning it on at least 30 min before we wanted to go in the tent really helped. We also had to turn it off during the night because it got a little too cold for me and my DS. I didn't mind at all taking a nap during the day in the tent with the AC on. Yes it has been really HOT in GA and I could not have made it without the AC. My parents had a camper but it is a little small for 6 people so it was really nice to have our extra large cool tent.

we used a stand alone a/c in our coleman tent. our tent has a flap for cord entry. we also fit the exhaust tube and condesate hose through the flap. it worked good with 80-90 degree heat. during the heat wave with high 90s we used a silver tarp over our tent to reflect the sunlight. i believe this helped the unit cool the tent.

Your very welcome. Something we did notice was that one morning we turned it off and left for the day - it took twice as long to cool down the tent when we returned. We found that turning it on at least 30 min before we wanted to go in the tent really helped. We also had to turn it off during the night because it got a little too cold for me and my DS. I didn't mind at all taking a nap during the day in the tent with the AC on. Yes it has been really HOT in GA and I could not have made it without the AC. My parents had a camper but it is a little small for 6 people so it was really nice to have our extra large cool tent.

Good advice! The one I found has a timer, so I will set it everyday for at least half an hour before our expected time to come back, so that should work well, especially since it is always a little later than expected time when we actually get back. :rolleyes:

we used a stand alone a/c in our coleman tent. our tent has a flap for cord entry. we also fit the exhaust tube and condesate hose through the flap. it worked good with 80-90 degree heat. during the heat wave with high 90s we used a silver tarp over our tent to reflect the sunlight. i believe this helped the unit cool the tent.

Fabulous! :thumbsup2 I have a cord port too, so I was hoping I could utilize it for the exhaust and condensation hose too. Good thinking about the silver tarp. I always double hang with the big blue tarps over my tent and canopy room which definitely helps, but I bet you are right about the silver reflecting the sun away, may have to get one of those. :cool2:

Do either of you recommend a certain model?

I have purchased already one off craigs portable air conditioner for camping. Paid $125 for it. and the person who had it set up a tube for the water to be taken right outside along with the exhaust.

I have purchased already one off craigs portable air conditioner for camping.
I love these "Ghost Posts" that popup after a decade.

But this is a good one. I love the idea of a tent A/C. If only I had that option when I was much younger. I may have convinced DW to stay in a cost effective camping mode...

Ok. I'm dreaming. Many of you have met DW and realize that was a silly dream. :rotfl2:

j

I saw this this morning and thought that even though it was old people ask all the time. First it will pop up in a search and the answer/technology is 11 years more recent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter