Port Arrival Time when using DCL ground transfer

YawningDodo

DIS Veteran
I've booked DCL ground transfers for my January cruise out of Miami and while I'm very happy I did so right now (it turns out I'm eligible for Onboard Airline Check-in, when I hadn't expected to be!), I'm a little puzzled over the logistics of my embarkation day transfer. I'm flying in the night before and staying at the MIA Hotel in the terminal, so I know I need to go to one of the baggage claims listed in my cruise booklet to catch the DCL bus the next morning. I'm just...not clear on when.

When I arranged the ground transfers by phone, the cast member I spoke with informed me that I could catch the bus starting at 11:00 AM. When I got my cruise booklet, though, it said buses start at 9:00 AM. I know they start earlier than 11:00 because they're the same buses ferrying people back from the port as they disembark, but I'm surprised it says they start picking people up at the airport that early, and I'm not sure whether it would actually be to my benefit to get on a bus and be at the port at 9:30 AM (I've been told Miami airport to port only takes half an hour).

I had originally gotten a PAT of 12:30, but after I arranged the ground transfers my check-in info on the DCL website changed to say that I didn't have an assigned PAT and didn't need one because I was using DCL ground transfers. So it kind of sounds like I can just go as soon as the buses start running. Between killing time at the airport (where I can presumably get a coffee or browse shops or something) and killing time at the port (where I'm given to understand I can pretty much just sit and wait), I'd prefer the former, but the sooner I can actually get on the ship, the better. Thoughts? Anyone actually done this particular type of transfer?

While I haven't actually done this in Miami, it is done all the time out of PC. The reason that you were probably told to catch a bus starting at 11 am is because embarkation doesn't usually occur until 11:30 am or later. After all of the previous passengers have debarked the ship and the ship has been cleared by customs, they will start the boarding process. However, unless you are sailing concierge or as a platinum CC member, you will not be in the first boarding group. The earliest boarding number that you could be given, then, would be a #2. They also choose a family of the day, and they get the privilege of priority boarding. You do not need to get to the port super early, but while you are there, after checking in, you can sit and read the navigator for that day and for your cruise, in general. Depending on how early you get up, you can still get a coffee and browse the shops at the airport, if you wish.

I've booked DCL ground transfers for my January cruise out of Miami and while I'm very happy I did so right now (it turns out I'm eligible for Onboard Airline Check-in, when I hadn't expected to be!), I'm a little puzzled over the logistics of my embarkation day transfer. I'm flying in the night before and staying at the MIA Hotel in the terminal, so I know I need to go to one of the baggage claims listed in my cruise booklet to catch the DCL bus the next morning. I'm just...not clear on when.

When I arranged the ground transfers by phone, the cast member I spoke with informed me that I could catch the bus starting at 11:00 AM. When I got my cruise booklet, though, it said buses start at 9:00 AM. I know they start earlier than 11:00 because they're the same buses ferrying people back from the port as they disembark, but I'm surprised it says they start picking people up at the airport that early, and I'm not sure whether it would actually be to my benefit to get on a bus and be at the port at 9:30 AM (I've been told Miami airport to port only takes half an hour).

I had originally gotten a PAT of 12:30, but after I arranged the ground transfers my check-in info on the DCL website changed to say that I didn't have an assigned PAT and didn't need one because I was using DCL ground transfers. So it kind of sounds like I can just go as soon as the buses start running. Between killing time at the airport (where I can presumably get a coffee or browse shops or something) and killing time at the port (where I'm given to understand I can pretty much just sit and wait), I'd prefer the former, but the sooner I can actually get on the ship, the better. Thoughts? Anyone actually done this particular type of transfer?
We sailed out of Miami 2 years ago, flying in early the same morning. We took the first DCL bus to the port, which left the airport a little after 9. We waited outside at the port for about 30 minutes before it opened. Worked for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter