POP or Coronado?

ameliahyde

Princess In Training
We are heading to the world August 3rd through 5th, prior to boarding a cruise on the Oasis of the Seas. We are DVC owners, and our annual pass just expired. We are considering spending two nights at the World prior to our cruise to get a little taste of Disney We are debating whether we will stay 2 nights at Pop or at Coronado Springs. At this point, we are not planning to go into the parks but that is of course subject to change, LOL! Our home resort with DVC is Beach Club, but we are not planning to use points to stay there this trip. My question is whether we would be better off at Pop or Coronado? We stayed at Pop a few years ago, and really enjoyed it (however we did go into the parks during that stay). However, it is only a little more to stay over at Coronado, and I understand that the newly renovated rooms are pretty awesome. I know that there is construction going on at both resorts. We will likely have a rental car, and may do some activities off site. Any thought/advice? Our kiddos are 6 and 8, and love to swim (the Coronado pool dies look nice). TIA!

We are DVC owners...If you are not using your points I'd stay at POP. We have stayed there while on trips not using points and really like the resort. We have stayed at Coronado too....it is a HUGE resort. The POP atmosphere is great for kids your ages too!

Having stayed at both recently...I vote Coronado. I will never stay at Pop again. Also a DVC owner and stayed at these as add ons to DVC stays. Check for AP or DVC discount. The rooms at Coronado are really nice with the reno. It was quiet there whereas I got an old non renovated room at Pop that was noisy and had crazy crazy bus lines. The line back from DS, in pouring rain, was like 3 buses deep and I was soaked before I got on a bus. Also tried to get snack and drink at food court there and the lines were way too long for me to bother and it was like 8pm. I parked and walked all over tar nation trying to find room, when I arrived....oh, and didn't get room ready text until 4:30pm (think check in is 3pm). Coronado, we parked at building and found it pretty easily. Loved the Maya Grill there. Nice stroll along the water back to our room.

We too just booked a night prior to a cruise, Carnival Horizon on Oct 6. I waitlisted a couple places and got a Copper Creek studio. Looking forward to trying out that new resort.

Last edited:

Tough call. If you think you'll do lots of pool time then Coronado. If not, then POP since you can easily walk over to Art of Animation as well.

Having stayed at both recently...I vote Coronado. I will never stay at Pop again. Also a DVC owner and stayed at these as add ons to DVC stays. Check for AP or DVC discount. The rooms at Coronado are really nice with the reno. It was quiet there whereas I got an old non renovated room at Pop that was noisy and had crazy crazy bus lines. The line back from DS, in pouring rain, was like 3 buses deep and I was soaked before I got on a bus. Also tried to get snack and drink at food court there and the lines were way too long for me to bother and it was like 8pm. I parked and walked all over tar nation trying to find room, when I arrived....oh, and didn't get room ready text until 4:30pm (think check in is 3pm). Coronado, we parked at building and found it pretty easily. Loved the Maya Grill there. Nice stroll along the water back to our room.

We too just booked a night prior to a cruise, Carnival Horizon on Oct 6. I waitlisted a couple places and got a Copper Creek studio. Looking forward to trying out that new resort.

Thanks for sharing your Pop experience. I feel like the fan base for Pop is huge, but the Dis 7 in 7 called CS a hidden gem. Given the short length of our stay and since we will have a car, I am leaning towards CS.

Is the Disney theming at CS still prominent?

Tough call. If you think you'll do lots of pool time then Coronado. If not, then POP since you can easily walk over to Art of Animation as well.

I thought the pool looked really awesome!

If you aren't going to the parks, I'd say Coronado. The pool is great, there are great restaurants and it's a nice resort.

Yes,I've heard good things all the time and we all LOVE Mexican food!!

Have you considered Port Orleans Riverside or French Quarter? We've stayed at Riverside for a night after a cruise and didn't do any parks. We chose Riverside because of the boat to Disney Springs where we spent the evening.

If that's not an option, my vote would be for Coronado. Better pool and dining options.

I know this is not what you are asking, but I don't think that I would stay at either if my plans were not to visit the Disney parks. You stated that you might do other things in the area, so I would suggest maybe staying closer to those off site attractions. I's be hard pressed to not visit Disney parks if staying there. I'm sure the kiddos would be disappointed too.

I know this is not what you are asking, but I don't think that I would stay at either if my plans were not to visit the Disney parks. You stated that you might do other things in the area, so I would suggest maybe staying closer to those off site attractions. I's be hard pressed to not visit Disney parks if staying there. I'm sure the kiddos would be disappointed too.

Fair points, but as someone who has done a WDW resort stay without visiting the parks, its nice to have a taste of a Disney resort, dining, and shopping without the price tag of visiting Disney parks. Especially when you're on a time crunch. To me, its better than nothing but to others it may just be a tease.

Fair points, but as someone who has done a WDW resort stay without visiting the parks, its nice to have a taste of a Disney resort, dining, and shopping without the price tag of visiting Disney parks. Especially when you're on a time crunch. To me, its better than nothing but to others it may just be a tease.

I think there is some chance we will hit the parks but we aren't going to push it. We spent about three full weeks at WDW in 2018, and are planning for a full week during Spring Break in 2019 back at BC. So going in the parks is not a must this time. But, we really love the resorts and the level of service, plus we have a decent amount of Disney Rewards from our Disney Visa to spend. We have done another resort only stay with our girls, and it worked out okay. But I understand why you'd mention it - we may be pressed to buy last minute admission!

Have you considered Port Orleans Riverside or French Quarter? We've stayed at Riverside for a night after a cruise and didn't do any parks. We chose Riverside because of the boat to Disney Springs where we spent the evening.

If that's not an option, my vote would be for Coronado. Better pool and dining options.

I just checked and the rates are quite a bit more. $55 more per night at POFQ and about $110 more per night at POR. . I'm thinking the price difference will not be worth it for us

I love POP but my husband and I are the kind of people who spend all day at the parks and only come back to the hotel to sleep and shower. The pool is okay for us but we aren't pool people. Also there is construction at both but there is more construction at CS currently. There's work happening for the new tower they are building which I've heard obstructs the lake sight line. I think POP only has one more building to complete so there's less noise I would assume at POP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter