Pop Century -- Standard vs. Preferred

My husband and I love Pop! We stayed in the 60's building 4 and loved it. Less than a 5 min walk to the front of the resort and a lovely view of the lake. I would choose Pop over lots of resorts at the World and we have stayed in several.

It all depends on your personal walking tolerance. I've stayed in '50s, and some thought it too far, others didn't mind. 5+ minute walk to buses.

With Skyliner coming soon, another nice perk of Preferred is proximity to the bridge.

While 60's preferred is by the bridge. There are many more standard rooms closer to the bridge then preferred.

I would prefer to just request a first floor room anywhere on the property, and not pay the extra for preferred rooms. I have stayed in preferred and standard, both are just fine. In fact I think my last time in a standard room was closer to the main building than my preferred room.

While 60's preferred is by the bridge. There are many more standard rooms closer to the bridge then preferred.

Maybe I'm getting the nomenclature mixed up, but I thought "preferred" meant 60s/70s, and the additional category was pool-view vs. standard view? It's been a bit since I looked at the booking categories.

Maybe I'm getting the nomenclature mixed up, but I thought "preferred" meant 60s/70s, and the additional category was pool-view vs. standard view? It's been a bit since I looked at the booking categories.

Nope, there are standard rooms in 60's/70's. Categories are, in cost order: standard, standard pool view, preferred, preferred pool view.

Nope, there are standard rooms in 60's/70's. Categories are, in cost order: standard, standard pool view, preferred, preferred pool view.

Wow, that's not confusing at all. Standards available in the '60s & '70s and preferreds available in the '50s that happen to be closer to the main building :crazy:

Okay, retracted. I'd book standard and request Building 4 or 5!

PopCenturyMap2012RoomCategoriesFINAL.jpg

Oops. I booked a non-preferred room for my November trip because the preferred rooms are at the front of the resort and thus a farther walk to/from the new Skyliner station.

Looking at the map Owl X just posted, that was clearly wrong. So I have updated my reservation and all is once again right with the world.

Thank you Disboards community! You all make my Disney trips better in so many ways.

Last edited:
Yup, I only book something other than standard if it's all that's available.
At other resorts I do like moving up a level, like to a garden view. But I will not pay extra to save a couple of minutes of walking:)

We stayed standard our first POP go-round prior to the refurb. This trip we have a preferred. It's exactly $63 dollars more total for preferred over standard for our 4 nights, so I say why not? We'll see. I'm just glad to be back at POP...when I first started looking, we were headed back to ASSp. While we enjoyed our time there, we've all been eager to try out POP again since my now 6 year old barely remembers the trip when she was 18 mos old.

Thanks for the input everyone! It helped!

Ultimately we did book at Pop and we did do Standard rooms. Preferred wasn't even available for the dates we wanted, but we were able to snag free dining.

As far as requesting a specific area, we probably won't. The reason is because we are a family of 7 going into two rooms, and we've requested connecting. While I understand there's no guarantee of getting connecting, I figure our chances are higher if we make no other room requests and let them put us in whatever section they want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter