Pop Century -- Standard vs. Preferred

Tom P.

Mouseketeer
Hello,

We've never stayed at Pop Century before. Can someone tell me how much actual difference there is, in terms of walking distance to the main building, between a standard room and a preferred room? We do like to take advantage of the food court, the refillable mugs, the arcade, etc. so we would be visiting the main building frequently. Just trying to quantify what that will means in terms of walking time.

Thanks.

Pop really isn’t that big (when compared to the mods). There are plenty of standard rooms that can be close.

I only stayed preferred once (last summer). It was during tour group season and it was nice to not have rooms near the chaos.

The way POP is set up its really not a long walk from anywhere.
I PREFER to stay in STANDARD rooms. My favorite location is 50's lake view as it tends to be nice and quiet and its cheaper.
However if you really are frequenters of the main building then in your case I'd probably do preferred. I would not do preferred pool view but just preferred.

I have stayed in both recently and I highly prefer the preferred (lol), especially if it rains every day like it did on our trip. Of course you could get lucky with a standard room and be in the 90's area which still isn't far from the main building, but I would hate to be in the furthest building in the 50's section (I'll be honest, at the end of a long day walking miles and miles in the park the last thing I want to do is walk more to get to my building). I did request and upper floor though, it's quieter up there than on the lower floors.

I have stayed in both recently and I highly prefer the preferred (lol), especially if it rains every day like it did on our trip. Of course you could get lucky with a standard room and be in the 90's area which still isn't far from the main building, but I would hate to be in the furthest building in the 50's section (I'll be honest, at the end of a long day walking miles and miles in the park the last thing I want to do is walk more to get to my building). I did request and upper floor though, it's quieter up there than on the lower floors.
The one time we did not book preferred we got that furthest 50's section. It felt like miles from the bus stop - never again ;)

We were in the 90's section last year. We didn't think it was much of a walk to either busses or main lobby.

We stayed standard in the 80's section. Room 9101 in the portion that juts out towards the main lobby. It was a very short walk to the buses and to the front entrance of the lobby if you walked along the path against the parking lot. It was our ideal location and I thought the walk was probably the same distance as some preferred rooms.

I've only ever stayed in standard - my favorite sections are the 70s and 90s! 70s is pretty close to classic hall and the food court, which is great, and 90s makes for a quick walk to the buses by walking across the parking lot.

We've never stayed at Pop Century before. Can someone tell me how much actual difference there is, in terms of walking distance to the main building, between a standard room and a preferred room? We do like to take advantage of the food court, the refillable mugs, the arcade, etc. so we would be visiting the main building frequently. Just trying to quantify what that will means in terms of walking time.

We always stay in a standard room. My favorite is building 9, top floor, non-connecting room. Although the previous mentioned room 9101 (or any non-connecting room in that first floor area) sounds perfect! I like being close to the bus stops which are a quick walk cutting across the parking lot. Food court/main building entrance is only a little farther.

When we stayed standard we were in some of the furthest rooms out but it didn't feel like a long walk to us. (I'm guessing, but it was maybe 5 minutes, IIRC?) I have had what felt like longer walks in some deluxe resorts. Probably wasn't really any longer, but long winding indoor corridors get to me after about 3 minutes! LOL!

Some standard rooms are only a few steps away in the next building to those in preferred. So the difference in the walk may will vary according to your room location. It's a personal decision if saving a few steps every time you go to the food court or buses is worth the extra charge. Most of the time we prefer to pay standard prices and just request as close to the main building and buses as possible.

Good luck!

Stayed a bunch of times at different resorts, including POP, and have yet thought it necessary to pay extra for preferred.

I go with the preferred room only because I like knowing I’ll be relatively close to the dining hall & buses. It just erases one concern for me. I especially like having a room close to the buses after a long day in the parks when my feet are screaming. Another benefit is being able to very quickly get from the dining hall to the room & vice versa.

Heck, some standard rooms back up against preferred rooms in the same building!

And some standard rooms in those buildings are closer to the main building and transportation then the preferred rooms.

I love you Pop! :)

I do agree with @tzeitel though. We visited friends staying in the far reaches of the 50's building once and although I know the walk wasn't that far, it sure felt like it.

Interesting. The entire resort is only about 2,000 feet from the far tip of 50s to the far tip of 80s, so about half that to the buses. In comparison, the walk from the MK entrance to Cinderella Castle is 1,176 feet http://knowdw.com/theme-parks/magic-kingdom/walking-distance-at-the-magic-kingdom/
I said it felt like miles not that it was actual miles. Also, when you get to the MK in the morning you're rested, usually it is still nice and cool, and you are super excited to get into the park. At the end of the day you are tired, sweaty, and probably had to wait for a second bus to take you back to the hotel. That walk is not as fun.

I've stayed at Pop many times. Standard room can be great if you get my fave section (60's lakeview, right by the bridge connecting to AoA). I also like 70's lakeview. Im not a fan of the 50's.

I agree with @tzeitel that if you get the farthest room (in the 80's & 50's) it can be quite a hike to the main building. I try to get preferred. After a long day in the parks, i very much appreciate a short walk.

It all depends on your personal walking tolerance. I've stayed in '50s, and some thought it too far, others didn't mind. 5+ minute walk to buses.

With Skyliner coming soon, another nice perk of Preferred is proximity to the bridge.
Clarification on Page 2.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter