Pop Century Room Renovations

I need opinions! We have a family trip booked for AoA this summer in a Lion King suite. There are 5 of us - me 34, grandma 60, DS4, niece 12, step-nephew 13. I recently stayed in a refurb at Pop and LOVED it! I can't decide if we should switch to 2 rooms at Pop instead of a suite. Can anyone that's stayed in a refurb Pop room and recently at AoA give me some insight? Pop will be $250 less. We won't be in the rooms a lot. Leave early for parks, afternoon break for toddler to nap and big kids to swim, then back to parks for as late as everyone wants to stay. 5 night trip. First trip for niece and nephew. I seriously loved the beds at Pop so I don't want to be disappointed about bed comfort a trip AoA. I also like that we'd have 4 queens instead of a queen & 2 fulls. Connecting rooms would be my only request. I know not guaranteed but that's not really a deal breaker. Help! Thanks!
TO me it would come down to how you eat. If the kitchen area would be a big deal to help save I would keep it. But if you put grandma and DS4 in a room and get the DxDDP and split it will your party and that works out, that could be a great deal. (Disclaimer: that is what we are doing next week.) Also new queen beds was the other huge factor in our decision.

I need opinions! We have a family trip booked for AoA this summer in a Lion King suite. There are 5 of us - me 34, grandma 60, DS4, niece 12, step-nephew 13. I recently stayed in a refurb at Pop and LOVED it! I can't decide if we should switch to 2 rooms at Pop instead of a suite. Can anyone that's stayed in a refurb Pop room and recently at AoA give me some insight? Pop will be $250 less. We won't be in the rooms a lot. Leave early for parks, afternoon break for toddler to nap and big kids to swim, then back to parks for as late as everyone wants to stay. 5 night trip. First trip for niece and nephew. I seriously loved the beds at Pop so I don't want to be disappointed about bed comfort a trip AoA. I also like that we'd have 4 queens instead of a queen & 2 fulls. Connecting rooms would be my only request. I know not guaranteed but that's not really a deal breaker. Help! Thanks!

I have a family of 6 and we've stayed at AoA twice and Pop once. We do love AoA, but we're aiming for 2 rooms at Pop next time so we get another bed. We really enjoyed the 2 nights we spent there last time! I think the remodeled rooms will make it even better.

do any renovated rooms have walk-in showers (not necessarily disabled/handicap accessible), just walk-in that aren't tubs? if so, which ones?

do any renovated rooms have walk-in showers (not necessarily disabled/handicap accessible), just walk-in that aren't tubs? if so, which ones?
Yes, some do and this is new at Pop. If you go to this thread we are attempting to find some sort of patterns. Warning, so far, no real patterns have been formed but as more people add information we're hoping to see some trends.

I’m not sure when this unit was re done but the “wooden like” floor was filthy, I was in the room bare foot for 10 minutes and my feet looked like I had been in a dirt playground. I called to ask if they had mopped the floors and was told yes..they asked me if the tiles were clean which they were, but I told them the floor was very dirty and they acted very surprised. I’m pretty sure this unit’s floor was not cleaned properly after the refurb because it was just as filthy under the bed and being on the top floor, where would that much dirt and dust come from? The dirt and filth will get in your bed , shoes, etc….

I have a few more trips planned this year at POP, after being in the room I really would prefer these over the older ones and like the combination use with AOA..just hope I have quieter neighbors and I might bring a compact swiffer. I’m thinking they only sweep right now on room turnovers, I saw some sort of spill that a mopping would have taken care of…so I wiped it up easily with a wet wash cloth…that’s when I really knew that hadn’t mopped..or maybe not even have mops or swiffers ???

I have had four stays in the new rooms and been in the room a couple times each stay when housekeeping came in. The only tools I have seen for them to use on the floor are a broom and a dry Swiffer. The housekeepers need at least a wet Swiffer to clean the floor. I would guess there are a few mops available if there is a dire need (think “protein spill”) but not enough for every housekeeper. After the first stay I resigned myself to the fact that I would need to wear flip flops or slippers at all times, and not walk bare/sock footed in the room.

They did use the dry Swiffer under the bed, so it’s not the housekeepers. They just need the proper tools to do the job right.

We're here! Checked in yesterday, got exactly our requests (refurbished, top floor, Lake view: we're in building 4). We love the room so far, and haven't been in the room when they did the security check (we declined housekeeping). This is our first stay at Pop, and so far we enjoying it!

We just walked around the '50s. Building 3 appears partially opened, I think the non pool view rooms are the open rooms, and they looked refurbished. Building 1 is completely closed, and building 2 appears completely open, still unrenovated.

If you have any questions, I'll try and answer!

We're here! Checked in yesterday, got exactly our requests (refurbished, top floor, Lake view: we're in building 4). We love the room so far, and haven't been in the room when they did the security check (we declined housekeeping). This is our first stay at Pop, and so far we enjoying it!

We just walked around the '50s. Building 3 appears partially opened, I think the non pool view rooms are the open rooms, and they looked refurbished. Building 1 is completely closed, and building 2 appears completely open, still unrenovated.

When you’re home, if you wouldn’t mind sharing your room number, 2 Queens or 1 king bed, plus if it is a shower only or tub/Shower combo we’d appreciate it please. There is another thread where we are tracking this due to the new shower only rooms. Thanks!

I was at pop 2 weeks ago and my feet were filthy too! I will take Clorox wipes and use a wet towel to mop on my next trip! It was disgusting! They do not mop the floors.

So you don't see any unrenovated rooms open in Bldg 3? I am reaaaaally hoping there are no unrenovated rooms left June 15th so there is no chance we get one!

So you don't see any unrenovated rooms open in Bldg 3? I am reaaaaally hoping there are no unrenovated rooms left June 15th so there is no chance we get one!
You’ll be safe in building 3 in June. The building is closed right now so any rooms that are open by then will be refurbished rooms.

The only building that could possibly be open in Jube in a pre-refurbished state is building 2. You may wish to make ‘refurbslushed room’ your only request although the chances of getting a ore-refurb room will be slim by June.

It seems crazy that they don't wet mop the floors. They switched so they would be easy to keep clean, and now they aren't keeping them clean?? I'll be doing a wet towel or wipes clean up of the floor when I arrive. Sheesh

I have a standard pool room booked for two weeks from now. Does this mean I may not get a refurbished room?

I have a standard pool room booked for two weeks from now. Does this mean I may not get a refurbished room?
There is a possibility this could happen as Bldg 2 is still open in a pre-refurbished state and could be in 2 weeks too. If a refurbished room is your top priority I would keep an eye on this thread to see what the status of bldg 2 is a week from now. If it’s still open I would recommend calling and make a refurbished room your only request.

Hope they wet mop between guests but I have no idea what they do.

I haven't seen a wet mop of any kind on the housekeeping carts since the switch. I am sure they have to have some in a central location because there will be times when they HAVE to mop. I don't know why they don't use a compact steam machine with the washable pads. That's what I use at home. I have four pads, so I can switch out between bathroom and kitchen on mopping day, and I use one and then toss it in the laundry. There's no cleaner involved, so it's good for the environment. Sure, the initial investment would be significant, but then no cost to use. Based on the floors when I've checked into rooms the past couple times, I don't think they are wet mopping - if they are, it's not a good job of it.

We returned from a renovated room 6470. Overall, the design concept was very nice. They have things arranged in a convenient system. We did not use the murphy bed, but it would be handy if you have more than 2 people. The bed is on a platform and I would suggest placing a towel in the lower corners or you will be bruised. Bathroom was great. Nice shower and storage areas. I have to agree that while I like the appearance of the flooring it felt gritty. Not sure how it is being cleaned. Our only negative was the noise level. This was mostly due to people slamming not closing doors. This really isn't related to POP but, while trying to take a nap break in the afternoon we were awakened by a LOUD banging at the door. Room inspector. My DH explained we were resting and was told "it will only take a minute". He said no. When I say loud, we thought they were announcing an evacuation! We both noticed a decline in staff friendliness. Many CM's just don't seem happy anymore.

We returned from a renovated room 6470. Overall, the design concept was very nice. They have things arranged in a convenient system. We did not use the murphy bed, but it would be handy if you have more than 2 people. The bed is on a platform and I would suggest placing a towel in the lower corners or you will be bruised. Bathroom was great. Nice shower and storage areas. I have to agree that while I like the appearance of the flooring it felt gritty. Not sure how it is being cleaned. Our only negative was the noise level. This was mostly due to people slamming not closing doors. This really isn't related to POP but, while trying to take a nap break in the afternoon we were awakened by a LOUD banging at the door. Room inspector. My DH explained we were resting and was told "it will only take a minute". He said no. When I say loud, we thought they were announcing an evacuation! We both noticed a decline in staff friendliness. Many CM's just don't seem happy anymore.
He said no and they went away?? I didn't think that worked. Thanks for the review!

After some discussion yes they left. We were both asleep when this began. We told them they could come back later, but I have no idea if they did.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!