ponchos?

grad_dis_nut

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,

I'm heading to WDW (yaaaayyy!!!) in September....notoriously rainy, from what I
understand :( Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has seen ponchos out in any stores?
I've been looking, but not seeing any. I am looking for the kind that are pretty cheap,
easy to fold up and store in a backback, etc. (Sort of like the ones the sell in the parks,
but not at Disney prices!)

Any info would be helpful....

Try the Dollar General store, they have 2 for $1.00 (not the best quality) in orange or yellow or clear. I've tried Dollar Tree and they also had them. I read that Big Lots had them and couldn't find them. We got them last year at Target $1.00 each and they were pretty good quality, considering we throw them away after we use them.

We get the ones for $1 at Target. They're in the camping section. You can get ones that are a little more money and better quality, but it's a pain to fold up wet ponchos and put them in your backpack. It's much easier to just pull out a new one every time it rains and then throw it away.

Bought one for my son at the local Army/Navy Store. It was about $8, but was tear proof.

Anne

Thank you for your suggestions! I basically keep my local Target in business, so I will be sure to check it out the next time I go there! I think there's a dollar store somewhere around here too....anyway, thanks. I figure maybe if I bring ponchos, it won't rain! :p

I got some at Walmart for $3 before we went on our trip. I also bought some at Big Lots - throwaways - very cheaply. The package at Big Lots said that the package contained 2 - when we got to Epcot in the rain - it only contained 1. I ended up wearing a garbage bag all day. (The car had the ponchos from wal mart in the trunk!) Be warned and be careful - you may want to take extras!

We get the 2 for $1.00 at Dollar Tree Stores...We seperate them at home and put them each in individual baggies with the snap top which makes a great holder for them. Each day we each carry two in our fanny packs....When it rains we pull them out and wear them till it stops, you can try and refold them but it is hard to get them back into shape then you have a wet soggy plastic thing to carry around...We generally just toss them, as for $.50 we can afford too. That also gives us each a second one if another set of showers comes along...One other good thing about the cheaper ponchos is that in the sea of yellow Disney ponchos the clear ones stand out easily and it is easier to find people if you are looking for the rest of your party or keep track of your kids....

I got mine at big lots for 59 cents each. I must have about 10 of the things but they sure come in handy and at that price I certainly don't feel guilty about throwing them away.

we were in the animal kingdom in the Lion King Show
when the heavens opened in the biggest monsoon I've ever seen.
They cancelled the show "for the safety of the cast" Hello??? What about us??
So I bought Animal Kingdom ponchos for $10 each or something. Imprinted with the msot expensive giraffes you ever saw.

Our cheap walmart ponchos were helpfully stashed in the car

I had never though about purchasing multiple cheepies and then pitching them. My grandparents still have the ones my sister and I wore as children (now 23!). I also like the idea of having something different (not yellow!!!!!!) than the other thousands who are plodding around the parks.

These cheap poncho's I got from Big Lots are clear plastic though I have had them in various colors like orange and blue. There are times when you may want to refold and use them again. It depends on how long they are used and what shape they are in. But used for any length of time, getting on and off rides, they can really show some wear and tear. I'm certainly not going to refold a wet, torn poncho unless it is my last one and I still have vacation time left.

I bought mine at Walmart's camping section for .88 each. Clear.

Hey grad_dis_nut...since you enjoy Target, I was there last week, and they had Father's Day umbrella/poncho/keychain sets in a gift box (clear...you could see everything in it) clearanced for $2.44...really nice poncho in the set. Check over where the purses and pocket books are kept!

jd_mouse

We were at the Dolphin last week and had the $.99 ponchos. Carried them easily in pockets. When showers came, which was often with Barry nearby, just pulled them out and put them on. At night we'd spread them out on bed and get the moisture off. Then hang them around room until morning and just roll them up for the day's activities.:D

We start out with thin clear plastic ponchos from Wal-Mart for $0.88. They don't make you quite as hot as the heavy Disney ones. But, we do bring Disney ponchos. On the last trip it rained 6 days out of 11. And I mean downpours. With the ponchos we looked like drowned rats, without them it would have been worse.

We bought some really nice ponchos at the Dollar Tree Store. There was only one in the package but they were much heavier than the ones we had gotten with two per package. They held up very very well on our trip last week. These also allowed you to tighten the area around the face so that the hood part didnt blow off and it kept our hair dry. I did buy the Disney ones for the kids because the others are so long they trip constantly on them. What I plan on doing before our next trip is to mark their ponchos in some way so that they will be easier to spot should one of them wander. No matter how vigillent parents are kids can wander off. I will probably put their initials on the back and front in big letters in indelible marker.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter