Ponchos or umbrellas?

I prefer a poncho because I don’t want to carry an umbrella. I buy mine for $1 at The Dollar Tree then throw them away.

Crazy question but I was wondering what everyone perfers...ponchos or umbrellas? We are going in August and Im familiar with the afternoon rain. My DH and DS are not fans of ponchos. I have very compact umbrellas but still not sure I want to carry those around in my backpack all day! What's your take?
We carry ponchos in July. If it's too hot for ponchos, we get refreshed by the rain.

Umbrellas - ponchos are too hot and a hassle for us. Umbrellas are easy and light to carry in a bag or backpack. They can pop up and down as needed throughout the day. We are courteous and watch where we are going - usually crowds are thinner during rain so it's also easier to navigate.

Umbrellas - ponchos are too hot and a hassle for us. Umbrellas are easy and light to carry in a bag or backpack. They can pop up and down as needed throughout the day. We are courteous and watch where we are going - usually crowds are thinner during rain so it's also easier to navigate.
I was thinking the crowds would be thinner as well.

We tend to visit when it's so very hot and humid. We've always only packed ponchos, but I've been thinking that we'll also bring umbrellas for our August trip. Wearing ponchos in that humidity is like walking around in a sauna. I've always thought it interesting on the boards that everyone recommends the packing of ponchos, but I've never seen mention of how uncomfortable it is wearing them in that heat.

Not a fan of disposable everything. Creates too much waste in the landfills. If you opt for a poncho (I'm bounce between an umbrella if it isn't too crowded and a poncho if it is), bring along a ziplock bag to stuff it into when it is wet and no longer needed.

Ponchos. Buy multiple cheap ones and toss them after the rain stops.
I agree. Umbrellas are ..Xtra weight to carry, cumbersome, generally invade others personal space( and there’s enough to try and avoid as it is, lol)
We buy the very light weight disposable type at Walmart sporting area ( under $2) use and toss. We mostly just get out of the rain by going in a food place, ride line etc.. so to me it’s about trying to avoid the downpours. ( and I wear thong type Vionics which then get wiped/dried off) and off we go.
Enjoy ur visit!

Poncho's all year ;o)

Umbrella's are great for a quick cover in a small shower, but the poncho lets you be function and do things while having both hands free. As above, I don't care for the throw away poncho's, I actually wear a goretex paclite jacket as its light and relatively breathable. But the kids tend to use an Ikea poncho that is both reusable, durable and also cheap! We don't bring umbrella's anymore as they tend to get in the way or break. But again, this is 100% subjective so your mileage may vary!

Real world = umbrellas

Crowded theme parks = ponchos

No need to be hot and sticky, don't buy the vinyl or plastic ponchos. We have nylon ones from ikea that keep us dry, don't leak at seams or neck, shake off and dry fast and super lightweight to carry.

While it might seem easy to navigate the parks without poking someone's eyes out ........ practically every umbrella I would see results in water draining off the umbrella on to another guest.

Real world = umbrellas

Crowded theme parks = ponchos
Ditto.

I use ponchos in the theme parks because they take up much less space both in use and in my bag. Even compact umbrellas are comparatively heavy, and since it rains just about every day in Florida, you'd have to bring them every day. Also, I'd have to carry one for me and my wife and son.

Far easier to carry three folded-up ponchos in my mini-backpack. Even when we have to use them, it only rains for a few minutes.

Definitely no to umbrellas.
  • They don't play well in crowds
  • They block the view
  • Afternoon thunderstorms include strong winds which will turn it inside out

Third option - Rain hats! (Works well for light rain - just to keep the rain off your face...)

Many people are saying umbrellas are not best for rain but,in summer I am thinking of them for the shade factor as well.
We are going early September.

Many people are saying umbrellas are not best for rain but,in summer I am thinking of them for the shade factor as well.
There is generally plenty of shade in WDW parks (with a few exceptions, like portions of Epcot Future World).

Any advantage of an umbrella is far outweighed by the fact that umbrellas do NOT do well with the crowds typically seen at WDW. And even if you avoid taking someone's eye out, you are likely to be striking awnings and other overhead projections (many of which are there to provide some shade), including various theme elements. You'll also almost certainly be blocking someone else's view or photo.

I remember once being at a Fantasmic show in which it was very lightly drizzling (almost a fine mist)...not enough to stop the show. We were actually debating whether or not to even bother putting on ponchos. The people ahead of us, however, pulled out this enormous umbrella that did an excellent job of blocking most of the show for us. :mad:

i bought a lightweight llbean waterproof over the head jacket and that seemed to work out great. it breathed well so i didnt feel super hot but yet i stayed dry! it was a great buy!

For us it depends how often and how hard it will rain. If it's during rainy season, ponchos are a must. But if it will just rain 1 or 2 days for a little bit...umbrella would be fine.

I'm planning on bringing very lightweight rain jackets for my 2 teen girls and me for our trip in August. Hubby wants nothing and doesn't care if he gets wet. I just envision sitting in a cold restaurant, freezing because I'm soaking wet. So that's what I'm trying to avoid. :P

I use my small umbrella all the time in the summer. The parks sell parasols. Go ahead and use your umbrella for shade!

There is generally plenty of shade in WDW parks (with a few exceptions, like portions of Epcot Future World).
Any advantage of an umbrella is far outweighed by the fact that umbrellas do NOT do well with the crowds typically seen at WDW. And even if you avoid taking someone's eye out, you are likely to be striking awnings and other overhead projections (many of which are there to provide some shade), including various theme elements. You'll also almost certainly be blocking someone else's view or photo.

I remember once being at a Fantasmic show in which it was very lightly drizzling (almost a fine mist)...not enough to stop the show. We were actually debating whether or not to even bother putting on ponchos. The people ahead of us, however, pulled out this enormous umbrella that did an excellent job of blocking most of the show for us. :mad:

I've never poked anyone with my umbrella or hit an awning. The parks sell parasols for shade. They aren't completely shaded from the elements.

You're never going to get a perfect view in the parks. People walk around with giant iPads, kids on shoulders etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!